Question

How do I connect a Netgear Nighthawk wifi range extender to the T-Mobile internet gateway

• 20 September 2021
  • 26 replies

Badge

I have a Netgear Nighthawk EX7500 and can’t get it to recognize the new internet gateway. Neither Netgear (3hours on the phone over 2 calls) or T-Mobile(2hours on the phone). The router/modem light on the extender doesn’t light up so I can’t do anything with it. Netgear wanted $149.95 to diagnose on the 1st phone call and $75 on the 2nd call….no friggin way...highway robbery!!!

26 replies

Badge

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7500/EX7500_DoMore_EN.pdf

Badge

Thank you, Ron, but believe me….none of this worked even after the 3 hours on the phone with Netgear. The 1st method says to connect to the extenders wifi SSID by using my phone, computer or iPad...nope….tried on all 3 and doesn’t show up. The 2nd method says WPS button...none on our T-mobile gateway. The 3rd way is to log into their web, but the link never goes thru. I won’t ever buy another Netgear product! Thank you for trying!!!

1. Why TMOBILE home Internet does not have WPS ?
  2. When we call, that call goes to Phillpine, those boys/ girls talk very sweet but they can’t resolve problem. They promise that will call you back but they don’t.
  3. Why can’t we call USA representative? I don’t understand.
  4. Anybody has suggestion about this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thank you, Ron, but believe me….none of this worked even after the 3 hours on the phone with Netgear. The 1st method says to connect to the extenders wifi SSID by using my phone, computer or iPad...nope….tried on all 3 and doesn’t show up. The 2nd method says WPS button...none on our T-mobile gateway. The 3rd way is to log into their web, but the link never goes thru. I won’t ever buy another Netgear product! Thank you for trying!!!

Have you tried this sequence?

1. Reset your extender
  2. Use your laptop to connect to the extender’s default wifi SSID and passphrase (not TMobile Gateway)
  3. Login into extender and complete setup to TMobile Gateway’s wifi

Optional - I would separate my 5 and 2.4G wifi bands with their own SSID on the TMobile gateway and the wifi extender to help trouble shoot.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9
  2. When we call, that call goes to Phillpine, those boys/ girls talk very sweet but they can’t resolve problem. They promise that will call you back but they don’t.

Appears cost cutting by T-Mobile.  You can always pay 50% more at Verizon / AT&T if you want US representation.

Badge

with the 5g, best is to use mesh system.  all the others are not compatible with the 5g

Userlevel 1
Badge

I finally got my Netgear nighthawk mesh extender connected to T-Mobile internet but it took me hours. First of all it was impossible to connect with the Nighthawk app so I had to do it through the browser of my mobile phone. Unplug the extender and plug it in as close to your T-Mobile router as possible. (You can move your extender anywhere you want after you get it set up). Go to the WIFI settings on your mobile device and connect to the Netgear_Ext network. If you don't see the Netgear_Ext network you will need to do a hard reset on your extender. To do this hold the factory data reset button on your extender down for a full minute (you may have to hard reset it several times). Then go back to Wifi settings on your mobile device and the Netgear_Ext network should be visible. If it's still not visible then you need to call Netgear tech support and purchase a tech support plan for $50. If they can't get your extender setup they won't charge you the $50.  When you're connected to Netgear_Ext open your browser and type in mywifiext.net or else use the IP Address of 192.168.1.250 instead whichever works for you. You will be prompted to click on Admin to either login or create an admin account. Your user ID will be "Admin" and you will create your password. Then follow the prompts and connect you extender to your WiFi network. If the box is checked that combines your 2.4 and 5G Networks you need to uncheck that box before continuing. It sounds like a lot but it can be done with a lot of patience and persistence. 

Badge

Appears cost cutting by T-Mobile.  You can always pay 50% more at Verizon / AT&T if you want US representation.

dont know about verizon, at&t uses philippines as their representatives as well. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Netgear number that I called was 855-432-7432. You have to contact Netgear tech support not T-Mobile. Netgear's representative was difficult to understand as well but I was patient and asked him to repeat things if necessary. He was knowledgeable and patient with me as well and we got it done. The key was the Hard (one minute) reset.

NerdHerdz just helped me connect 2 NetGear extenders to T-Mobile 5g router.2 AC1900 Model EX6400. He worked hard and spent lots of time fixing IP conflicts etc. I also bought the 2-year service and support because honestly, no one else was able to help me. Took a couple of hours but the dude was awesome, kind, and very informative. Here's the info. Internet for dummies (me). Thank you NerdHerdz!! https://nerdherdz.org/

I finally got my Netgear nighthawk mesh extender connected to T-Mobile internet but it took me hours. First of all it was impossible to connect with the Nighthawk app so I had to do it through the browser of my mobile phone. Unplug the extender and plug it in as close to your T-Mobile router as possible. (You can move your extender anywhere you want after you get it set up). Go to the WIFI settings on your mobile device and connect to the Netgear_Ext network. If you don't see the Netgear_Ext network you will need to do a hard reset on your extender. To do this hold the factory data reset button on your extender down for a full minute (you may have to hard reset it several times). Then go back to Wifi settings on your mobile device and the Netgear_Ext network should be visible. If it's still not visible then you need to call Netgear tech support and purchase a tech support plan for $50. If they can't get your extender setup they won't charge you the $50.  When you're connected to Netgear_Ext open your browser and type in mywifiext.net or else use the IP Address of 192.168.1.250 instead whichever works for you. You will be prompted to click on Admin to either login or create an admin account. Your user ID will be "Admin" and you will create your password. Then follow the prompts and connect you extender to your WiFi network. If the box is checked that combines your 2.4 and 5G Networks you need to uncheck that box before continuing. It sounds like a lot but it can be done with a lot of patience and persistence. 

😁 👏 THIS WORKED!!!!! THANK YOU for sharing! 💪👊🙌👏

No need to look further or waste any more time.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

So glad that it worked for you and you're most welcome! It's a pain in the butt when you can't find the Netgear network on your mobile device but it's there eventually.

This method works.  It took me 10 minutes.  Thanks Detoxx11.  You saved me hours.  Now I can watch football.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This method works.  It took me 10 minutes.  Thanks Detoxx11.  You saved me hours.  Now I can watch football.

I'm glad that it worked for you! Too bad that I didn't know about it before I wasted the three hours! 😂😂

I got my Nighthawk app to work!  Reset my AX1800 Netgear Extender and when the Netgear_Ext shows up you have to quickly select it or it goes away in about 60 seconds.  Took me a couple of try's too! The you have to go thru all the prompts and setups. Thanks for all your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm glad that you got it hooked up good job! It takes some trouble shooting but Netgear_Ext eventually shows up with the other Networks. 

Badge

Nope. No US rep at AT&T anymore either

How can I thank you enough...it took a while (a few hours), but I just kept at it with my iMac, MacBook Air & iPhone and following your directions it finally worked! Thanks again!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

How can I thank you enough...it took a while (a few hours), but I just kept at it with my iMac, MacBook Air & iPhone and following your directions it finally worked! Thanks again!!

You're more than welcome my friend! It's a hassle but eventually you can get the set-up Network to be visible.

I took me about 5 minutes to complete setting up. First press hard reset button, then search and connect to your Netgear extension wifi. They will ask you what netwwork you would like to connect to from the list, select T mobile. Will ask passcode, then if you want to use the same passcode for the extension.

Thanks for some instructions before about the hard reset and using mobile device.

Badge

I can connect the AX1800 range extender to the 2.4G connection to TMobile but it will not see the 5G connection.  I’ve tried resetting the Netgear extender but it still doesn’t see the 5G connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can connect the AX1800 range extender to the 2.4G connection to TMobile but it will not see the 5G connection.  I’ve tried resetting the Netgear extender but it still doesn’t see the 5G connection.

Was the box that combines the 2.4G and 5G (in the setup process) network's checked or unchecked? Make sure that it's unchecked. If you did everything else (including the hard one minute reset and still have no luck try it with a 5G compatible laptop instead of a mobile device (if possible). If still no luck all I can suggest would be to call Netgear Tech Support as there are fixes/suggestions that they can do for you from their end. Good luck my friend. 

Badge

I tried it every which way.  I split TMobile to two names.  Then I set it back to one name with the Netgear box checked.  Every time Netgear did not see the 5G network.  It saw a lot of 5G routers of my neighbors but not TMobile even with the two boxes sitting right next to each other.  I reset both devices and tried downgrading the firmware on Netgear.  After hours chatting with Netgear they told me to return it for another extender.  If I get another extender it will not be a Netgear.

Badge

I'm glad that you got it hooked up good job! It takes some trouble shooting but Netgear_Ext eventually shows up with the other Networks. 

Thank you so much Detoxx11. I was finally able to connect my Netgear WIFI AC1200 Model EX6110 to my T-Mobile Home Internet. Sorry you had to suffer through the process. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

You're most welcome my friend!