Solved

TMOG4AR Gateway

• 5 September 2023
  • 18 replies

Badge

How do I go about replacing my T-Mobile Arcadian gateway with the newer TMOG4AR gateway?

icon

Best answer by copz1998 5 September 2023, 16:18

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@NYJack according to a few articles about the new T-Mobile gateway, they will only be available for new customers. But, nothing prevents you from boxing yours up, walking into your local T-Mobile store and ask for an exchange. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Badge

I’d really prefer getting it delivered as I would then have time to test it to make sure it works before returning the one I’m currently using. The Arcadian gateway I’m currently using only works in one spot in my house which is about as far away from my tv, etc, as possible causing weaker Wi-Fi. I’m hoping to be able to place it near a different window closer to where everything else is. My understanding is that I will be able to easily add an external antenna with the new gateway, if needed. I tried adding an additional router but have found that to interfere with the Wi-Fi coming from the gateway, giving me slower speeds, even with them separated by about 3 feet which I believe is recommended. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@NYJack I hear you. However, it's my experience in life that it's easier for people to say “no” over the phone or via email, than in-person. The focus of the new gateway is for those who could use a stronger signal by adding an external antenna. I did that with my Sagemcom gateway and get a great signal with an external antenna. 

In your case, if you are adding an external antenna, you can place your gateway anywhere in your house. You will need to have space to route the antenna cables from your new antenna to the gateway. In my case, my antenna is mounted in my attic, pointing at my T-Mobile cellular antenna. 

Badge

Well, I just wrote a long answer & got a reply that something has gone wrong so I’ll try again. I was wondering if an antenna would work in the attic which is preferable so I don’t need to drill a hole through my siding. Currently I get a pretty consistent download speed of @150 mbps & upload of @7 Mbps (upload doesn’t really matter to me). There are just 2 of us and we use internet for streaming tv as well as browsing & email. I had faster service (which I really didn’t need) from xfinity at a promotional price of @ $40 per month but was really happy to leave them along with their inevitable price increases & poor customer service. Placement of the gateway is really why I’d like the new one. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@NYJack, “I tried adding an additional router but have found that to interfere with the Wi-Fi coming from the gateway, giving me slower speeds, even with them separated by about 3 feet which I believe is recommended.

My understanding is that one should turn off the TMO gateway’s Wi-Fi when a router is conected to the gateway. 

Badge

There is no way to turn of the Wi-Fi on the Arcadyan gateway. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

There is no way to turn of the Wi-Fi on the Arcadyan gateway. 

There’s a few ways to turn off the Wi-Fi on the Arcadyan gateway.  The easiest is probably with the Hint Control app.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dev.zwander.arcadyankvd21control&hl=en_US&gl=US

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@NYJack, or see Nater Tater’s YouTube video:

Badge

Hint control app is on Google play so should I assume it’s for android? I have all apple products and don’t know if this app is compatible. The Nater Tater idea requires a script & getting to the gateway via a terminal which is more invasive than I feel comfortable doing. 

Scroll down to where it says iOS and see if you can install it through TestFlight

https://github.com/zacharee/ArcadyanKVD21Control/

Badge

I guess I should have said that there is no easy/simple way to turn off the wifi on the Arcadyan gateway. I looked at the github link and am at a loss as to what to do next. I’m nowhere near as technical as I once was and need an easily accessible app that I can install. I don’t understand why they didn’t just make this available on a router control website as just about every other commercial router does. I’m pretty sure that one of their other, earlier gateways does have this functionality.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@NYJack, I agree, there should be an easier way to turn off the TMO gateway’s Wi-Fi.  However, I am not particularly tech-inclined either but followed Tater Nater’s step-by-step instructions and managed to turn off the Wi-Fi from my Windows PC.  Remember, if anything goes wrong, you can just factory reset the TMO gateway,

Of course, another option would be to have a family member or a friend with an Android phone download the Hint Control app from the Google Play Store, join your network and turn off the gateway’s Wi-Fi from the Hint Control app (in the W-Fi tab).

Click the Test Flight link and see if you can install it on your iOS device. 

The iOS version is available on TestFlight.

Badge

This morning my internet went out completely for about an hour and then gave me absurdly low download speeds (1 - 2 mbps) for another hour. So, I called T-Mobile technical support to try to swap what I have for one of the 2 new gateways. I explained that I need one of them so I will be able to connect an external antenna if the internal ones don’t give me a stronger, more reliable signal. I spent over an hour on the phone with them first speaking to one of their reps and then speaking to a supervisor. They told me that the best they could do was to swap the Arcadyan KVD21 I currently have with another of the same as a warranty exchange. I explained that the gateway I am using isn’t broken or defective but that it doesn’t have the ability to bring in a strong enough signal that one of the new ones will. They checked with the local stores to see if they have one available for me to swap (at a $35 fee, by the way), which they didn’t. They said they have no way to request a specific gateway, that they are chosen at random. However, they also told me that there is a high demand for these new devices. I asked how that could be if specific models couldn’t be requested. His answer was “that’s a good question”. So, here I am left frustrated with no apparent solution. I do not want to go back to Xfinity but if this becomes a consistent problem I don’t know what other choices I have. Thanks for all who spent the time to read this very long story.

This morning my internet went out completely for about an hour and then gave me absurdly low download speeds (1 - 2 mbps) for another hour. So, I called T-Mobile technical support to try to swap what I have for one of the 2 new gateways. I explained that I need one of them so I will be able to connect an external antenna if the internal ones don’t give me a stronger, more reliable signal. I spent over an hour on the phone with them first speaking to one of their reps and then speaking to a supervisor. They told me that the best they could do was to swap the Arcadyan KVD21 I currently have with another of the same as a warranty exchange. I explained that the gateway I am using isn’t broken or defective but that it doesn’t have the ability to bring in a strong enough signal that one of the new ones will. They checked with the local stores to see if they have one available for me to swap (at a $35 fee, by the way), which they didn’t. They said they have no way to request a specific gateway, that they are chosen at random. However, they also told me that there is a high demand for these new devices. I asked how that could be if specific models couldn’t be requested. His answer was “that’s a good question”. So, here I am left frustrated with no apparent solution. I do not want to go back to Xfinity but if this becomes a consistent problem I don’t know what other choices I have. Thanks for all who spent the time to read this very long story.

You and me on the same boat, sharing the same story and struggle I had to go through, except the lady I was talking to she didn't understand the problem and she said she is going to send me the new device, which sound really crazy so I asked her twice is it the new device with external antenna option and she replied yes. An hour later I received a text about my order being processed,. So I went to check on the web to found the device been processed is the KVD21 same as the one I have. Any way I end up canceling the service. 

@NYJack, I agree, there should be an easier way to turn off the TMO gateway’s Wi-Fi.  However, I am not particularly tech-inclined either but followed Tater Nater’s step-by-step instructions and managed to turn off the Wi-Fi from my Windows PC.  Remember, if anything goes wrong, you can just factory reset the TMO gateway,

Of course, another option would be to have a family member or a friend with an Android phone download the Hint Control app from the Google Play Store, join your network and turn off the gateway’s Wi-Fi from the Hint Control app (in the W-Fi tab).

Hint Control is available for Android, Windows, Linux, MacOS, and iOS via Flight Control

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Here is a direct download link to the HINT Control, to allow you to see the specs of your gateway and turn on/off (hide) SSID. https://github.com/zacharee/ArcadyanKVD21Control

The T-Mobile gateways are just that - gateways for the users to access their internet bandwidth. More features than basic on-off requires a router or something like HINT control. 

I hope this helps. 

Anyone else getting a login error using HINT Control? I have the arcadyan kvd21… getting real frustrated trying to figure out a way to turn off this wifi.  I know I have the right username and password.

The error is “Not Authorized, Access token is missing or invalid”, statusCode”:401