I have Arcadyan KVD21, and while I am thoroughly impressed with the speeds from the device on the T-Mobile 5G network, I am disgusted by the lack of any ability to properly manage & (more importantly) secure this device.
This trade between speed and security is insulting and offensive to me as a technologically adept Security professional, and exacerbated by the fact that T-Mobile continues to fail when tasked with protecting user account PII data.
The inability to perform certain key functions completely disappoints me. Below are the primary issues and concerns, which *MUST* be resolved to keep me as a customer:
- Cannot perform setup / administrative tasks via wired interface. Current (internal) web interface only offers a “basic” informational portal.
- Cannot completely disable (turn off) WiFi, (likely due to the above).
- What (few) administrative tasks that are available, requires: download & installation of a worthless “mobile app”, which also requires the device be connected to the local WiFi network.
- Current administrative functions are limited to 3 tasks, changing the: administrative password, WiFi password, or name of the WiFi SSID.
- T-Mobile Internet app loses any/all functionality beyond the local network. If the gateway is connected to the internet, and the device with the app is as well, then there should be no valid reason to require “local” access, especially if the next point is true… As this prevents a parental/guardian authority from managing the device while traveling or outside the home (at work).
- T-Mobile app does not permit multiple instances of the app to be logged in with the same account/credentials. (per T-Mobile technical rep)
What absolutely perplexes me is that many (if not all) of these points DID NOT EXIST when I reviewed an early device around one (1) year ago… So why “cripple” the functionality?!?