Question

I want an esim to use in portugal for my locked iphone 13

• 27 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I’d like to purchase an airalo 30 day e sim data pass for Portugal. I can buy it in US and activate on arrival in Lisbon. But my iPhone 13 Pro is locked (I have 6 more payments to make on my “free” phone). airalo faqs say I need the phone to be unlocked.   
     I’ve used T-Mobile internationally before and find it very slow.  Because I’ll be driving and using maps/waze I’d really like the local connection.  Can anyone recommend a way for me to get this phone unlocked? Or any other way to do this?  Thank you.  

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

pay it off pretty much. Free however you must meet the criteria which is however many months of credits. that gets changed then you’ll owe the leftover amount. you can try contacting TMO through either Facebook or Twitter and see if theres a way to maybe get a temporary unlock. no promises though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Apple doesn't allow temporary unlocks like Android.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

ah then the option is pay it off or pay it off lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Your device and account must meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements to have your device SIM unlocked.  Apple also processes the SIM unlock for T-Mobile, when requested, so that SIM unlock can take weeks to be processed once requested.  

SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device | T-Mobile

Badge

Thank you all for your replies.  Seems pretty dumb to me. Especially because the phone itself was “free” which means I own it.  Having to pay it off means it wasn’t ever free.  Man I hate these companies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That's the hook. Nothing is ever free, there's always a catch but with an Android phone you can easily request a temporary unlock that Apple doesn't offer even if you still owe money on.