Solved

T-Mobile international roaming does not work with my Simple Choice plan.

• 14 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have a North America Simple Choice Mobile Internet UNL Data with 2GB 5G & 4G LTE plan, that according to this article (https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/international-roaming-services#:~:text=Roaming%20with%20T%2DMobile,-Go5G%2C%20MAX%20and&text=Go5G%20Plus%2C%20Go5G%2C%20MAX%2C,up%20calling%20and%20messaging%20rates.)) should work internationally at slower speeds. 

However, I’m in the Czech Republic right now and I can’t get any data anywhere.

At the top of my phone it sometimes shows that there are bars, however, when I go to the settings it says there is a ‘0’ signal strength.

Does international roaming for sure work with the Simple Choice plan?

Is there an additional APN record that I need to add for it to work?

Or maybe my device is not working properly?

I have an LG G820UM.

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 16 May 2023, 16:41

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My guess would be that your LG device is not compatible with the roaming partner in the Czech Republic.

Badge

Do you mean as far as some of the bands used in the Czech Republic not being supported by my phone? Because from my research the bands for 4G are 1, 3, 7, and 20 for the Czech Republic. And my phone (LG G8) does support these bands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

LG has also been out of the phone business for more than a few years now.  It isn't unheard of to see legacy devices not be permitted on networks.  Have you tried putting in the APN for the roaming partner to see if that works?  Do you have roaming enabled on your account?  Slower speeds might be so slow that it just might seems like your data isn't working.

Badge

Yes, I am aware of that, however, they were working for 4G when they were out, it works completely fine in the US, and it still has the right LTE bands that work in the Czech Republic. Where might I find these APN for roaming partners? I don’t know if I have roaming enabled on my account. I know roaming works in the US on my phone, but I don’t know about internationally. Yeah, I considered it, but my phone will still say I would be connected to the internet even if it’s slow and it doesn’t say I am connected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am not sure who the roaming partner is for the Czech Republic.  It should be on the roaming partners website though.  Give Customer Care a call at 611 from your device with the T-Mobile SIM in it to verify international roaming is enabled on your account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

First off, does your phone work for texts and calls? Is data the only problem? Have you checked your settings to make sure that data roaming is enabled. It can be turned off in the phone settings and, separately, in your account settings. Do you have a PING utility? Can you PING 8.8.8.8? You can call T-Mobile’s International Support at +1-505-998-3793 (Free call from your T-Mobile phone).

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/international-roaming-checklist

Badge

In our experience,  the data works but the voice and SMS are extremely unreliable