Wife's Phone Broken, now she doesn't want a smartphone.

• 12 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Well, yesterday my Wife’s Google Pixel 7 Pro (That I got her last May) fell and the screen cracked. It’s still kind of useable, but nearly the whole screen lights up to a pale greenish white.

Well, she immediately said she’s had it with owning a smartphone. In May her Pixel 3a XL had also fallen and the screen stopped working. So we got this phone, and again the same thing. On both phones we tried getting a very good phone case and put on a solid screen protector. The one on the Pixel 7 Pro even has a curved edge that follows the curved edge of the phone’s own screen. I love my wife, but she is kind of a clutz, and this isn’t the first time she’s dropped her Pixel 7 Pro either.

When we saw that for just the part on iFixIt costs over $200 she became even more upset and has decided to break out our emergency flip phone and call it a day.

Sadly, things are getting tough economically. And to be honest, $200 and some dollars right now would be a bit hard to cough up. With rising prices of everything we no longer eat out or buy coffee. We’ve moved to using just cash for groceries and any other on-the-spot spending. We have two cars, but the one I haven’t had the money to fix it, so we haven’t driven it for months.

Not that we couldn’t figure out how to pay for a $200+ repair of a phone, but trying to prioritize and assess what’s most important to do with our money isn’t so easy anymore. We had just gotten her a Pixel Tablet to replace her old iPad Air 2 that was slower than mollasses in January.

I’m not sure what to think yet. I’m just trying to process it all. Do I insist on fixing my wife’s phone? Do I insist on getting her at least a cheap smartphone? Do we try what she wants to do, use a flip phone? Not that I’m asking for answers, just thoughts.

mr_l84 2 months ago

Well, I went ahead and got a replacement screen from iFix it. It turned out like new! I also ordered a “military grade” phone case, and we got on another glass screen protector. Hopefully it lasts her a while this time.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Well, I went ahead and got a replacement screen from iFix it. It turned out like new! I also ordered a “military grade” phone case, and we got on another glass screen protector. Hopefully it lasts her a while this time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah i was gonna say my brother used to go through phones like underwear lol..he finally purchased a Otterbox...one of the hard cord screw it together ones...his phone is still alive and kicking to this day lol.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

yeah i was gonna say my brother used to go through phones like underwear lol..he finally purchased a Otterbox...one of the hard cord screw it together ones...his phone is still alive and kicking to this day lol.

So far it’s working just fine for her! She loves it, so that’s the most important part. The military grade case seems to hold up pretty well, especially since it has a ridge around the edge of the screen.