T-Mobile 5G Gateway and Smart Plugs

• 6 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi, all, 

I’ve just switched from Spectrum to T-Mobile and have installed their brand new 5G Gateway. So far, it’s terrific, with one exception. None of my Alexa Smart Plugs work since they operate on the 2.4gHz band and use the Tuya app. 

Is there a way to connect them to my T-Mobile wi-fi network? If not, are there any Smart Plugs around that will connect to Wi-Fi and the Gateway? 

I have a Linksys Velop AX4200 dual band router. Can I connect that to the T-M Gateway and disable the 5gHz band, leaving the 2.4 for the smart devices? 

Many thanks for your help. 

DG

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I’ve just switched from Spectrum to T-Mobile and have installed their brand new 5G Gateway. So far, it’s terrific, with one exception. None of my Alexa Smart Plugs work since they operate on the 2.4gHz band and use the Tuya app. 

Is there a way to connect them to my T-Mobile wi-fi network?

If you have the Arcadyan gateway, have you tried to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks?

Badge

This Gateway doesn’t show a brand name, just model KVD-21, made in Vietnam. There isn’t an app similar to the ones for routers. I’m not even sure what the security level is, so I need to ask T-Mobile. Setup is an SSID, a password and 24-48 hours of waiting for it to find and lock onto the 5G signal. 

Badge

There is a way. I have verified this and it works.

1. Borrow a friend's cell phone and set up a hotspot that is 2.4ghz. Do not use your phone since your phone will be used to add the smartplug.
  2. On your phone connect to the hotspot set up in step 1. 
  3. Open the app that adds your smartplug, for example, I use Smart Life (a free app). I believe that VESync and Go Smart will work just as well.
  4. Follow the directions to add your smartplug. For me this involved connecting to the network from step 1, resetting the device, putting it into setup mode (press the power button for 5 seconds), and insuring a rapid blink.
  5. The App should find the smartplug even if you have to add it manually.
  6. Test the smartplug and update it. Currently the Teckin Smartplug wants to update to version 1.0.8 (I think). THE UPDATE IS A CRITICAL STEP.
  7. Wait approximately 5 minutes after the update is completed.
  8. Delete the smartplug from the app. THIS TOO IS A CRITICAL STEP.
  9. Disconnect from the network set up in step 1 and reconnect to your normal network.
  10. Go back into the app from step 3 and add the smartplug same as before.
  11. Voila! Your smartplug should now work through your normal network (even if it is 5ghz).