Question

Throttling + Hot Spot... Is it really unlimited data?

• 14 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a hotspot with a 100gb 5g data plan.  The sales man told me that after the 100 gb were used I would switch automatically to LTE network with “unlimited data.” 

Observably, this does not appear to be the case. This month I crossed the 101 gb mark, and the internet speed dropped to 0.10 MBS!    I have “factory reset” the hotspot device, removed and updated the Windows 10 network adapters, and changed from WiFi to USB tether.   

I can rule out issues with the computer because, I can connect my cell phone hotspot (Verizon) without an issue and with 71.1 MBS on a LTE network. 

I suspect T-Mobile is data throttling. 

I did call customer service.  I waited on hold for more than 50 minutes, and then the service person hung up on me! 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I have a hotspot with a 100gb 5g data plan.  The sales man told me that after the 100 gb were used I would switch automatically to LTE network with “unlimited data.” 

Observably, this does not appear to be the case. This month I crossed the 101 gb mark, and the internet speed dropped to 0.10 MBS!

The salesman told you wrong.  You drop down to pathetic 2G speeds after you reach your allotment.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

If your total high-speed data usage exceeds your selected high-speed allotment during a billing cycle, we reduce your data speed to 2G speeds (for most plans, 128 kbps) for the remainder of that billing cycle.

Observably, this does not appear to be the case. This month I crossed the 101 gb mark, and the internet speed dropped to 0.10 MBS!

The salesman told you wrong.  You drop down to pathetic 2G speeds after you reach your allotment.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

If your total high-speed data usage exceeds your selected high-speed allotment during a billing cycle, we reduce your data speed to 2G speeds (for most plans, 128 kbps) for the remainder of that billing cycle.

I have UNLIMITED high-speed data, no cap. I’ve been with T-Mobile 2012 and I too am experiencing bad speeds.  The device (S22 Ultra) mobile data down ~120Mbs tethered to my PC via USB C to USB C I get .50Mbs.  Interesting though about 10 minutes ago when I first connected my PC was getting similar download speeds the device and then crapped out. Save it, I already did all the trouble shooting and I promise I can rule out the device, the PC, Laptop. Great signal into the device crap out.  Also its the beginning of my billing cycle albeit that shouldn’t matter as I'm G’d in with all the datas.  

this was just supposed to be a temp bandaid for COMCAST.  TMOBILE FIX THE TOWER BY MY WORK THAT YOU PROMISED US 1.5 YEARS AGO.  55431  LOOK ME UP, TICKETS AND TICKETS ESCALATED TO THE TOP ENGINEERS ARE ON.  No nothing has happened. everyone in my office with T-Mobile is screwed.  Boosting signal in there for 5 YEARS straight.  PSSST its probably the skyscraper they built between us, figure it out. I don't want to quit you!

Badge

No it’s not unlimited data. 
T mobile is trying to create a monopoly solely to reduce choices in order to trap and scam consumers this can easily be proven because they recently bought Mint 

right now my service as a whole at all times even on the first day of my billing cycle is being held hostage by t mobile. 
ever since I got banned from calling customer service. I ONLY have 3G service 

not LTE not even 5G

internet service in the 90’s was faster than my phone connection and my hotspot 

I’m not getting anything over 100 kbps 

ever 

in 2024