Solved

WHEN WILL TMOBILE UPDATE THEIR SETTINGS SO I CAN BE ON THE PHONE FOR MORE THAN 4 HOURS???

• 13 March 2017
  • 14 replies

AT&T , Verizon etc .. actually know what "unlimited calls nd text are" this 4 hour limit is very "Limited". I just would like to know when a change is going to be made. It's annoying to be talking on the phone and have it hang up after 4 hourrs, and having to constantly call back. i understand when this was first implemented it was to prevent "ghost calls" but it's annoying and shouldnt be that hard to fix. Or that big of a problem smh.

And i already know responses such as "not that many people talk on the phone for more than 4 hours " or "just hang up and call again" but ... it is very inconvenient .

i Just feel like if its unlimited It should be, and i pay my bill every month like everyone else, so even if everyone doesnt talk on the phone for more than 4 hours. For us customers that do, i think there should be an option, cus i mean they literally update everything else. So Why not this??

icon

Best answer by tmo_lauren 20 March 2017, 17:34

View original

14 replies

"unlimited" for calls means "unlimited total talk time" not "unlimited call length".

There isn't a way to increase that time but there is a reason it does that. It's fail-safe to help prevent the phone from staying on during an unintentional "pocket dial."

The GSM systems are built this way on purpose.

‌i already said i know the reason why they originally implemented it. But honestly it is 2017. Plenty of other companies have left that behind and you can be on the phone for way more than over 4 hours .

my question was when is tmobile going to do something about it, because i clearly know it's a carrier setting so only the carrier can update this ....

klassicdior wrote:

i already said i know the reason why they originally implemented it. But honestly it is 2017. Plenty of other companies have left that behind and you can be on the phone for way more than over 4 hours .

my question was when is tmobile going to do something about it, because i clearly know it's a carrier setting so only the carrier can update this ....

Really?!?!  Like who?  Because I just ported OUT from Verizon and they cut off calls at two hours almost to the second.

Userlevel 4

Hey there!

I haven't heard of any plans to extend the call drop mark, but we can certainly pass the feedback along! 😊

-Lauren

@tmo_lauren : This really does need to change -- it's not just teeny boppers on the phone for this long. I work from home and often dial-in to meetings. Many of these meetings are longer than the 4 hour mark, and it disrupts the meeting when I have to call back and the phone starts ringing. In fact, it's quite embarrassing and I've thought of switching service providers just for this reason.

Secondly -- I work with many understaffed and overloaded companies and gov't agencies, which means unheard of wait times on hold. There have been many, MANY times I've lost my place in line because T-mobile decided 4 hours is too long for me to be on the phone.

Third, and the most heartbreaking --  a friend of mine receives food assistance, and they are incredibly poorly run. She is constantly needing to call for one reason or another, like not receiving a piece of mail, and their hold times often exceed 4 hours. When you're just trying to fix problems that you shouldn't have had in the first place just so you can feed your child, your phone company's arbitrary phone call length policy should be the last of your worries. But no. She has to take a bus and come to my home and plan to be there almost all day just to use my landline because she's afraid of getting randomly disconnected.

There are many reasons a phone call needs to be over 4 hours. This policy is ancient and outdated and really needs to go.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

In the mean time I would find a alternative solution if you need to place calls for prolonged periods of time like that. Also I would reach out to John Legere and the gang  to draw more attention to this if this is a big enough issue. I personally never even knew this was a thing and I have had some pretty long phone calls. Anyway I wish you luck.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hey where you ever able to find a solution that works for you? Just curious so I can no for the future should anyone else run into the issue.

I just found this out as well that T-Mobile drops your calls after only 4 hours. If your calls have a 4 hour limit, than indeed your services are not unlimited like you're paying for. I've already filed a class action lawsuit as of this morning. This has been happening for the whole 8 yrs I've been with them. Don't lie and say unlimited everything when in actuality there is a limit!

Your class action lawsuit would be a waste of time, money and resources for lawyers to do important work. this isn’t illegal, and ALL companies do it, not just T-Mobile, but AT&T and Sprint and Verizon do also. Your suit is frivolity at its best.

Incorrect. AT&T does not do this. I've been on calls for work with AT&T for 12-16 hours without being dropped. I've been dropped from 2 calls this week at the 4-hour mark since switching to T-Mobile.... I really don't want this to be a deal-breaker, but I guess we'll see.

@tml1138 AT&T. I've been on 12-16 hour calls on AT&T for years now.

The please feel free to run right over to AT&T and port out. You've been complaining about this for as far back as I can remember (going back to when I worked there). If they were going to change it by now they would have.

I guess you can only remember as far back as yesterday, then, because that's the first time I've said a word about it. I just posted in to T-Mobile this week.

Hey, does anybody know which companies doesn’t have this 4 hour limit?? It’s really inconvenient and I’m so tired of it. I feel like we should at least have an option to stay on the phone.