Question

A LOT of T-Mobile ID issues as a Home Internet customer

• 16 January 2022
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve been dealing with this for several hours now, so forgive the rant…

It seems that T-Mobile has no concept of Home Internet users not having a T-Mobile phone. I don’t know why that is so hard to understand. However, if you only have Home Internet, and not phone, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get a working T-Mobile ID. The form to create one will tell you your email is wrong when it’s not. In the forums I found a message saying to just create a forum account then link your phone number, so I tried that and when I log in it won’t let me do anything without linking my phone number, but entering my phone number gives me a Service Unavailable error.

So, I used the online support chat to try to get this resolved. The first person was completely clueless and told me I had to call customer service. Not sure what the point of the online chat is if they’re just going to tell you to call. So then I call, sit on hold for a VERY long time, and then hung up. For some reason, when you call the Home Internet support line, it doesn’t give you any indication of how long the wait will be.

Then I remembered there was a url texted the router for me to pay the bill, so I went there, tried to log in, and got an error about wires being crossed. Back to online support chat where I was asked to log in. I told the guy I can’t log in, which is the reason I’m contacting support, and he told me to login, so then I just terminated that chat. The people they have in their online support must be the same as AT&T because they are completely incompetent.

Ok, fine, so I’ll see if I can pay as a guest. Nope! I put in the phone number, confirm the same phone number, hit submit, and the “confirm phone number” box turns red, but with no message, and the phone numbers match exactly.

Next, I tried calling just the regular support line and was told it was going to be a 45 minute wait to get anyone on the phone.

So at this point I can’t really log in, other than to the forums, I can’t set up auto pay for the $5 discount, and I can’t pay my bill. Awesome job T-Mobile!

23 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a similar problem. I have a legacy Pay As You Good account which I use for 2FA only. I’ve had the account for years.  Once a year I purchase a phone minutes card and load it with whatever amount required to maintain 100 minutes.  Last week I purchase the T-Mobile 5G Home Internet which is working just fine.  My issue is establishing a second account for this product.  I have all the required numbers, account, PIN, subscriber and phone. Every time I try the setup a new ID their system responds with, I already have an ID. Their system is trying to place this product into an account that has a different account number.

I was fortunate enough to speak with a tech rep at the 844-275-9310 who toke the time to duplicate what I experienced and confirmed after hours of trying that the issue requires an engineering solution.  She created a ticket # 58752623, documented the issue and submitted to the engineering support group; that was three business days ago.  She did say it would take 3 to 5 business days to resolve and she would get back to me.

Yesterday I received my first bill by gateway tower message, no email; that was a surprise along with an included a $1.16 fee on my billed amount.  I’ll wait the 2 more business days for them to resolve my account ID issue; if they don’t, I’ll request an RMA for the hardware and end this.

Userlevel 1

I have a similar problem. I have a legacy Pay As You Good account which I use for 2FA only. I’ve had the account for years.  Once a year I purchase a phone minutes card and load it with whatever amount required to maintain 100 minutes.  Last week I purchased the T-Mobile 5G Home Internet which is working just fine.  My issue is establishing a second account for this product.  I have all the required numbers, account, PIN, subscriber and phone. Every time I try the setup a new ID their system responds with, I already have an ID. Their system is trying to place this product into an account that has a different account number.

I was fortunate enough to speak with a tech rep at the 844-275-9310 who toke the time to duplicate what I experienced and confirmed after hours of trying that the issue requires an engineering solution.  She created a ticket # 58752623, documented the issue and submitted to the engineering support group; that was three business days ago.  She did say it would take 3 to 5 business days to resolve and she would get back to me.

Yesterday I received my first bill by gateway tower message, no email; that was a surprise along with an included a $1.16 fee on my billed amount.  I’ll wait the 2 more business days for them to resolve my account ID issue; if they don’t, I’ll request an RMA for the hardware and end this.

Userlevel 1

My inability to setup a T-Mobile ID was resolved today. The tech toggled the “Hard Lock Set” which I’m guessing cleared some error state.

The issue was originally related to my email address being rejected during log-in attempts. After enrolling in the T-Mobile Community, the issue changed to inability to link gateway phone number during log-in. I spent many hours on the phone talking to a number of techs to no avail. This female tech based in the Philippines told me in the first few minutes of our conversation that she has resolved this type of problem numerous times in the past and she sure resolved my issue quickly; made my day! 

I received the gateway just about a week ago. The hardware is performing flawlessly and speed is considerable higher than I expected; measuring ~150 to ~230 with 3 bars; located on dresser for convenience.

Userlevel 1

My inability to setup a T-Mobile ID was resolved today. The tech toggled the “Hard Lock Set” which I’m guessing cleared some error state.

The issue was originally related to my email address being rejected during log-in attempts. After enrolling in the T-Mobile Community, the issue changed to inability to link gateway phone number during log-in. I spent many hours on the phone talking to a number of techs to no avail. This female tech based in the Philippines told me in the first few minutes of our conversation that she has resolved this type of problem numerous times in the past and she sure resolved my issue quickly; made my day! 

I received the gateway just about a week ago. The hardware is performing flawlessly and speed is considerable higher than I expected; measuring ~150 to ~230 with 3 bars; located on dresser for convenience.

I have called at least 5 times now and have yet to find anyone who seems to have even heard of this issue. The wifi speeds are great, but something as simple as creating an account should not be this difficult and frustrating.

Userlevel 2
Badge

that’s standard response, nothing is actually done in the backend. expect for your ticket to be closed for no resolution and some fake explanation, and them calling you saying they’re still working on it and then disappears. they just work to keep metrics high, not to understand or fix issues.

You actually DO have a T-Mobile phone number even if you only have the Home Internet service.  Your modem has a cell phone number associated with it.  That the number you need to use to set up your account.

I have this exact same issue as OP noted.  I spoke with a gentelman first and he did not have any ideas about the issue I reported.  After quite a bit of time on hold, the call disconnected.  When i called back, I was speaking with a very nice woman who may have been the same person who @Alex8842 spoke with as she was very familiar with the issues I was having.  She did a few troubleshooting steps to ensure my email address was correctly associated with my account and also verified that both my personal mobile number (non-Tmobile) and the modem’s t-mobile sim number were associated with my account.  After a few attempts at troubleshooting she was still unable to assist.  She offered to wait on hold with me for tech support but due to hold times it wasnt viable.  I am now waiting for a call back from the Home Internet Tech Support to speak with them further. 

A few notes:

@kentuck1163, you are correct that the T-Mobile phone number for the modem is provided and we should use that number.  Unfortunately, when trying that in the process, we receive an error which does not allow us to proceed.  It is the same error that OP @mrobrian provided (image below) in his description. 

Also, while the process to create your T-Mobile ID via the community is successful in creating a shell of a profile, it still creates an issue with allowing you to access the account details section as you continuously get the error above. 

We shall see what the Home Internet Tech Support people say when I speak with them regarding the matter.  Hopefully positive news to come on tha matter. 

Hi,

Had the problem where I had a T-mobile ID, but couldn’t associate my Home Internet to the ID (that F451 error).  I had an old Prepaid hotspot ages ago, so had an old T-mobile ID kicking around but no active T-mobile services until I signed up for Home Internet.

The way I got it fixed was to call Home Internet Customer Support (1-844-275-9310).  The rep should submit a trouble ticket, referencing that F451 error message.  The tech support people will then remove that e-mail address from your account.  (You’ll know it’s done when you try to sign in to My T-mobile and get a “we don’t recognize that e-mail” error.)

When the rep calls you back, they will have to add your e-mail address back in.  (It’s the same as if you never gave them an e-mail when signing up.)  They will send a PIN code to the email to verify.  Give the PIN code to the rep to confirm the e-mail.  After that, I was able to create a new T-mobile ID just fine.

Thanks, Umberto!

I have been having the same issue since I got the service in January and still haven’t gotten it fixed. But it was probably my fault at first cause like you said you don’t have a T-Mobile cell phone number, but your router/modem has a phone number, well I didn’t realize that at the time, and I put my cell phone number in to link it, and my cell phone number is with consumer cellular, and they don’t seem to understand that, and also they ask me for some kind of pin/passcode or something, that we never setup. My home internet account is under my husband’s name cause he is over the age of 55 and I am not. And they don’t seem to understand even that. But I am able to pay my bill as a guest by putting in my account number. Have you tried putting your account number in when you try paying by guest? 

Badge

I signed up a few days ago. I had the same issue with not being able create an ID. Someone on this forum suggested trying to get help from @TMobileHelp on Twitter. Justin Rhodes and Victoria Pollard got me set up. You do have to know the 10 digit phone number assigned to your gateway.

I have the 5g home internet only with T mobile.

I was having the issue of the system saying it didn’t recognize my email when they were sending me emails for billing etc.

After several unsuccessful attempts to solve this with customer service, ai finally got a rep who knew what she was doing (Esther). She told me to use the URL t-mobile/isp This worked perfectly and I was able to create my account with no problems.

THANK YOU Esther !!!

I’ve been trying to get chat support to check out the Hard Lock Set but no body seems to pay attention. Four plus hours on chat. Grr. I wish there was any easy fix for this. I’m going to try to call today and see if I can get any help there. Thanks for the advice, now if I can just get a tech to follow it.

I have the 5g home internet only with T mobile.

I was having the issue of the system saying it didn’t recognize my email when they were sending me emails for billing etc.

After several unsuccessful attempts to solve this with customer service, ai finally got a rep who knew what she was doing (Esther). She told me to use the URL t-mobile/isp This worked perfectly and I was able to create my account with no problems.

THANK YOU Esther !!!

I just tried that URL and it just leads my back to the main stupid T Mobile website. Where is Esther when  I need her? Thanks.

I’ve been dealing with this for several hours now, so forgive the rant…

It seems that T-Mobile has no concept of Home Internet users not having a T-Mobile phone. I don’t know why that is so hard to understand. However, if you only have Home Internet, and not phone, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get a working T-Mobile ID. The form to create one will tell you your email is wrong when it’s not. In the forums I found a message saying to just create a forum account then link your phone number, so I tried that and when I log in it won’t let me do anything without linking my phone number, but entering my phone number gives me a Service Unavailable error.

So, I used the online support chat to try to get this resolved. The first person was completely clueless and told me I had to call customer service. Not sure what the point of the online chat is if they’re just going to tell you to call. So then I call, sit on hold for a VERY long time, and then hung up. For some reason, when you call the Home Internet support line, it doesn’t give you any indication of how long the wait will be.

Then I remembered there was a url texted the router for me to pay the bill, so I went there, tried to log in, and got an error about wires being crossed. Back to online support chat where I was asked to log in. I told the guy I can’t log in, which is the reason I’m contacting support, and he told me to login, so then I just terminated that chat. The people they have in their online support must be the same as AT&T because they are completely incompetent.

Ok, fine, so I’ll see if I can pay as a guest. Nope! I put in the phone number, confirm the same phone number, hit submit, and the “confirm phone number” box turns red, but with no message, and the phone numbers match exactly.

Next, I tried calling just the regular support line and was told it was going to be a 45 minute wait to get anyone on the phone.

So at this point I can’t really log in, other than to the forums, I can’t set up auto pay for the $5 discount, and I can’t pay my bill. Awesome job T-Mobile!

Use the phone number of your internet gateway

I have done that. No go. Thanks.

I was just able to get my T-Mobile ID account working. After lots of the csr asking my email and phone number and other questions she was able to link my phone number to my account. This is what is showing as what was done. I hope it may help anyone else having the Service Unavailable F451 message.

Link a MSISDN

Please advise me to whom u spoke with if u got a name and what phone number u reached out to as I’m having the same problem I want to fix this before it gets too close to my 30 days to receive my reward 

You actually DO have a T-Mobile phone number even if you only have the Home Internet service.  Your modem has a cell phone number associated with it.  That the number you need to use to set up your account.

Doesn’t work 

1-844-275-9310 for “T-mobile home internet.” The other customer service lines won’t know what to do and will take forever. 

In my case the T-mobile ID was broken and I couldn’t access the home internet, no could I set up a new account, since I already have a T-mobile ID for my prepaid account. The representative had to set/reset the email account and now when I log in I can choose whether I want to view the home internet account or the prepaid lines account.

Pretty frustrating that this took me two hours time when I set up the account in the store, it should have be 5 minutes to set up an online account, or less, but T-Mobile has serious problems in this area. At least the internet is working well so far.

Yeah I went round and round with t-mobile for three days. Chat support said call the number, agent could not help me and said I need to chat with support. Back and forth ping ponged all day. I packed their equipment back up and sent it back after 3 days of begging for help. They said i could pay with old fashion check and I haven’t ordered checks for 35 years.

I considered getting my 3 phone lines transferred to them and am SO glad that I wanted to wait and see if I had problems with just internet.

My absolute favorite page I’ve run into trying to solve this problem is this one: https://account.t-mobile.com/sap/v2/actions/linkPhone

If you enter your TMHI “phone” number it spits out the below error:

We're sorry, we don't recognize this email. Please provide the email you used when purchasing your T-Mobile service, or contact Care by dialing 1-800-937-8997 or 611 from your T-Mobile phone.

Uh.. you didn’t ASK me for an email. You asked me for a phone number.

This level of failure is actually kind of impressive.

As only a home internet customer (signed up/activated in store and now equipment in my home), I experienced the same “don't recognize this email” hurdle as mentioned here and in many other forums. I finally had success signing up for the ID via the “T Life” app on my phone. It produced a very similar sign up page as the standard app and website, but unlike those others, allowed me to proceed without errors. I’m pretty sure I didn’t even capitalize the first letter of my email address on the successful attempt, but you might as well try that as well. Hope this proves successful for everyone else.  My phone was on my T Mobile Home WiFi at the time and the “T Life” app appeared to recognize I was using my new router during the process.

Badge

It's been a year and they still haven't  figured out how to gie a tmobile ID for home internet customers 

I got a new debit cand and couldn't update my info, so they started turning off my internet every month and charging  me late and reconnect fees

I called customer service spending between 2 and 4 hrs on the phone and always promised they were fixing it

I still have no access to my account

They refuse to honor the 200 promo because I didnt enter the code

I didnt enter the code because I have no access to my account

Theyve been charging me 160 a month for service I agreed to pay 50 for 

All they do is lie. So i mentioned I should record the call and they flipped out and threatened to end the call