Static IP with home internet or business internet?

Badge

Is it possible for me to get one or more static IP addresses if i sign up for either T-Moble home internet or T-Mobile busness internet?

Ideally, I need 2 or 3 static IP addresses.

Also, if I move to a different location where T-Mobile home or business internet is offered, would I get to keep the same static IP addresses?

Thank you very much.

13 replies

Been trying to get a static IP from T-Mobile, but they say they cannot provide me one unless I own a business and have a business license. Kinda BS!. With the regular home internet, they give you a DHCP IP, but it changes every couple of weeks messing up my Hulu Live streaming, and then T-Mobile won’t provide me a static IP. About ready to drop T-Mobile Home Internet!

Badge

Thank you for your reply!

This policy of T-Mobile has now convinced me to totally avoid T-Mobile Home Internet.

I’m happy to pay for a business account in order to obtain static IP, but their requirement for a business license is indeed a crock of BS.

I am having the same issue. I need a static IP as every time my IP changes HULU quits working and I have to spend 30 minutes on the phone with them to sort it out. This occurs randomly about once per week. If this cannot be resolved I will need to switch to another internet provider.

This definitely happens very often, probably once a week, where my public IP address will change. Very annoying if a static IP address option is not available. 

It is my understanding - 1 static IP per SIM.   I hope that answers a lot of questions.

I work from home. My IP has to be whitelisted for me to access work resources. However, my IP keep changing every couple of days requiring me to open a ticket to update my IP.  My IP didn’t change when I had cable internet. T-Mobile should assign a static IP for each home internet connection.

Badge

Not sure if this has changed but I’ve hade the same IP since 4/10/2024. 

Posting this on 5/1/2024 as a timestamp.

I’m keeping an eye on mine to see if it changes on the next billing cycle….

I’m hoping it doesn’t. I’ve also bounced the modem a few time within the time frame and it picks up the same IP. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Are any of you guys using another WiFi Router or Mesh router that then connects to the T-Mobile Gateway via ethernet? Or are you all using the WiFi that the T-Mobile Gateway sends out to connect your devices to it?

Badge

Are any of you guys using another WiFi Router or Mesh router that then connects to the T-Mobile Gateway via ethernet? Or are you all using the WiFi that the T-Mobile Gateway sends out to connect your devices to it?

I’m using a Unifi stack.

UCG-Ultra, USW-Lite-8-PoE, and a UAP-AC-IW-Pro. 

I was told by Tmobile tech support that in order to have a static up address, you need to ask Tmobile for an inseego or cradle point router. The gateway routers are not capable of using a static ip address. It was preventing our gateway routers from working. 

It should be a say option for a user to request a Static IP.   Not everyone would need it but also, why are there two streaming services that can’t have another way in determining your location.   YouTube TV does it.   It’s just  Sling TV and Hulu TV require a static IP.    If I was TMobile I would want  to fix it in fear Xfinity starts using this failure in their advertisements.    

FYI: For everyone looking for advice on this subject.  After speaking to multiple technicians today, opening new business account and going through 19 phone transfers, finally got a hole of an amazing representative from TN.  You must have a business account and get a Inseego Wavemaker 5G indoor cellular router FX3100 that T-Mobile will give you to receive a static IP Address officially from them.  They charge you an extra $3 a month for the static IP Address, which is very comparable.  Thank you so much T-Mobile for finally helping me out after two days of phone calls, and brick and mortar store visits.

Dedicated IP via VPN

After reading this thread, I didn’t bother reaching out to TMobile support, upgrading my home account to business, or any of that.

If you have a VPN service like NordVPN, you can purchase a dedicated IP. With Nord, you have to choose your desired location, typically the nearest major city. This may or may not solve the problem for those that need a dedicated IP for streaming services, but it should certainly solve those that need a dedicated IP for whitelisting for work.