T-mobile bricked my home internet gateway, then UPS lost the return, now T-mobile is charging me $236 for it

• 10 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I was one of the 34,000 Tmobile home internet customers who had their Gateways bricked by an over the air update.  I did nothing to bring this upon myself, 100% T-mobile’s fault.

I followed T-mobile’s instructions.  I was without home internet for several days and when the replacement gateway arrived, I packed it up and used the label they sent me to send it back.  I have a UPS shipping receipt that proves I shipped the gateway back.

UPS appears to have lost the return and now I’ve been charged $236 by T-mobile.

This is incredibly frustrating.  I called customer support and spent a lot of time arguing with someone who claimed I wasn’t being charged even though I can clearly see on my account where I have been charged.  Was basically given a run around and assured the charge would not go through.  Of course a few days later it did.

It adds insult to injury when this entire problem is 100% T-mobile’s fault and I followed their directions exactly.   The audacity of them to charge me $236 for a bricked gateway.  There’s no way this thing cost them $236… I bet their actual cost for this device was less than $50.

I’ll call customer service again and hope for someone who won’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining like the last guy.  I’m sure that won’t go anywhere. Then it’s off to small claims court which I’m sure will be the only way to get my money back.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@dmfuller5 your exerience does sound frustrating. However, which shipper did you use? Maybe UPS or FedEx lost your package along the way or was delivered to the wrong location. Did you get a tracking number? Where did your gateway end up? Maybe you can use the tracking information to help your case.

Badge

@dmfuller5 your exerience does sound frustrating. However, which shipper did you use? Maybe UPS or FedEx lost your package along the way or was delivered to the wrong location. Did you get a tracking number? Where did your gateway end up? Maybe you can use the tracking information to help your case.

Thanks for the response.  I do have a UPS Tracking number.  It shows the package as being received but no updates after that.  T-mobile customer support has seen the tracking progress and agrees it proves it was dropped off but it appears I will be charged unless they actually get the device.

I have a feeling I will need to take T-mobile to small claims court.  It appears others have had success with doing this.  All of this over a useless gateway they bricked and now think is worth $236.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Based on the UPS tracking data that shows T-Mobile received the device, the ball is in their court. I suspect that if you escalate your case and ask for a manager, they will see that they dropped the ball and eliminate the charge.

Good luck!

Badge

UPDATE:

I filed a complaint with the BBB in the morning and by that evening had the charge taken off my bill.

It seems that T-mobile customer support including their supervisors have their hands severely tied.  Even if it’s very clear that T-mobile is screwing over a customer, they can’t do anything other than feed you crap to try to convince you that the problem is being taken seriously and will be taken care of.

This kind of non-return fee for Home Internet devices is happening to me now. I am in the same situation with more frustration. The only difference is that T Mobile is now asking $370 for a modem I have used for years and $0.59 late charge.

The modem was returned on February 2nd, 2023 and the tracking number provided by UPS is showing that the device was delivered to their warehouse in  Fort Worth-TX on February 6th, 2023 at 7:49 am. I have the receipt from the UPS drop-off location. The tracking number is showing a clear itinerary to their warehouse in TX (that matches the shipping label provided by T Mobile). T Mobile provided the shipping label and all costs on them but do they have insurance with UPS? I don’t know but they should claim their investment on the shipping.

Somebody in their warehouse is not doing his job.

They are currently menacing to cancel my mobile service if payment is not made. I think I need help from BBB also.

This kind of non-return fee for Home Internet devices is happening to me now. I am in the same situation with more frustration. The only difference is that T Mobile is now asking $370 for a modem I have used for years and $0.59 late charge.

The modem was returned on February 2nd, 2023 and the tracking number provided by UPS is showing that the device was delivered to their warehouse in  Fort Worth-TX on February 6th, 2023 at 7:49 am. I have the receipt from the UPS drop-off location. The tracking number is showing a clear itinerary to their warehouse in TX (that matches the shipping label provided by T Mobile). T Mobile provided the shipping label and all costs on them but do they have insurance with UPS? I don’t know but they should claim their investment on the shipping.

Somebody in their warehouse is not doing his job.

They are currently menacing to cancel my mobile service if payment is not made. I think I need help from BBB also.

Contact BBB and FCC. File a complaint if they do not do anything. Had issue with another internet provider and let them know I going to contact fcc and it got fixed quickly.  You can also ask for their retention department. If they have one , they have more power to fix things. Other customer service people are usually outsourced reps and are limited.

I’m having the same issue with T-Mobile now asking for over $200 for my returned 5G wifi.  The difference is I returned mine to a T-Mobile store. The employee gave me a print out and send be sure not to loose it because thats the only way to prove it was returned to them. She even stated that returned equipment being lost happens all the time. Sounds like a T-Mobile issue to me that T-Mobile needs to man up to.   Has anyone successfully fought T-Mobile to not be charged when they lost the equipment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Fair Credit Billing Act