Solved

T-Mobile Home Internet Can't Access Certain Sites/Cloud Services

• 10 November 2022
  • 14 replies

Badge

Pasadena, CA - As of yesterday (11/9/2022) morning, I wasn’t able to access certain websites/cloud (e.g. Ring.com, Alexa, a host of various work-related cloud-based services).  Spent over an hour with T-Mobile’s “tactical” support team in the Philippines going over reams of canned and iterative checklist/questions only to get “...other people are calling about the same issues...so sorry...bye for now...”.

The websites/cloud services work just fine when using my phone’s hotspot via AT&T.

(1) Are others in or around my area experiencing the same?

(2) Is there a way to get partial billing credit for this service interruption?

icon

Best answer by DKEsserich 10 November 2022, 19:03

View original

14 replies

I’m having the same problem. This is also happening on my phone, so it’s not isolated to home internet. When I turn on my VPN, some of the issues go away. Any one know what’s happening?

Same issues in Whittier ca. HELP!! 

Same issue in san Gabriel. 

Airbnb PayPal, at some point boa was very slow

Couldn’t use Venmo or Libby unless I used VPN on my phone. 

Exact same issue here in Montebello. Had anytime for any kind of response from T-Mobile? 

Badge

Same issue in Norwalk, CA!

My Paycor login is very slow and can’t access desktop webpage at all. And just yesterday my Amazon FireStick displays no internet connection, but laptop and general Wi-Fi works fine.

Same issue in Hollywood, and I also went to Burbank for lunch yesterday and it was out there, too. I managed to get customer service to escalate to opening a ticket with the engineering team but they said the response time was going to be 72 hours. I got another rep on twitter to say they’ll follow up and get back to me around 11am today, but I don’t know if they will.

Badge

I was reading through some of the threads preceding mine, and it appears someone may have found a root cause:

From magenta10491478:

“I have the same issue that started yesterday 11/9/22, also in the LA area. And you’re right: oddly enough, only services on AWS are affected. My TV won’t play Amazon Prime Video, SmartThings won’t work, Amazon devices are offline, and some software that I use that utilizes AWS is also not working. The issue persists on cellular datas as well as home internet.”

I did a little digging, and it appears Ring.com uses AWS, as well as Alexa (obviously) and maybe one or two work-related cloud services I was able to sleuth.

It’s not just that the site/service is using AWS, it’s that it’s using IPv4 and AWS. The IPv4 routing is messed up. If I go to ‘amazon.com’ the DNS will resolve that to an IPv4 address, and that times out. If I go to ‘www.amazon.com’ the DNS resolves it to an IPv6 address and the connection succeeds. If I disable IPv6 on my PC’s network adapter and go to ‘www.amazon.com’ it will connect, but it will be a lot slower and have pretty high packet loss.

It’s just started to work for me now at 10am PST 11-10-2022. You can check it out. I hope it’s resolved for you too.

Badge

Everything works now! What a mess that caused …

Badge

Yup!  Works now!  Thanks, Everyone!

Same issue in Norwalk, CA!

My Paycor login is very slow and can’t access desktop webpage at all. And just yesterday my Amazon FireStick displays no internet connection, but laptop and general Wi-Fi works fine.

Same!

I can confirm I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting this and was not able to use a lot of work and AWS services yesterday in Los Angeles.