netflix update

• 4 January 2024
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Adding 2 screens, 1080p streaming but with ads is a major downgrade from 1 screen, 720p without ads. Adding ads makes it a complete worthless benefit because I won’t use it. So t-mobile is just actively making their service worse. 

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

So Netflix changes their terms so it's a Tmobile issue? All Tmobile does is facilitate the payment to Netflix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Adding 2 screens, 1080p streaming but with ads is a major downgrade from 1 screen, 720p without ads. Adding ads makes it a complete worthless benefit because I won’t use it. So t-mobile is just actively making their service worse. 

no one is forcing you to use their free to you Netflix..

Userlevel 1

There should be option to buy without ads option .. with ads is worthless

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

there is..you pay for the Netflix instead of TMO..then you dont have any ads.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I currently pay an additional $11 per month on my T-Mobile bill in order to get Netflix Premium.  I just received a text message from T-Mobile that my cost would be increasing to $16 per month to keep Netflix Premium.

You should be able to change to Netflix Standard option for $8.50 per month added to your T-Mobile bill.

T-Mobile Is Changing Netflix "On Us" For Some Plans (tmo.report)

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It looks like T-Mobile is providing a benefit worth about $7 per month.  

Current Netflix prices if you get it on your own (January 2024):

Pricing (US Dollar)

Userlevel 3

It is true no one is forced to use the Netflix feature, (But) I like others pay extra already for Magenta Plan to receive this benefit. It can be said Netflix 

is part of the cost package. If the rest of the plan does not change, I as a auto pay on time premium customer should retain ad free Netflix .

Userlevel 3

This was a nice perk for T-mobile customers and I am sure many have stayed with T-mobile as loyal customers for perks like this.  The ad version of Netflix is a sharp downgrade for this perk and will likely lose them some customers which pull the trigger to find another carrier with a little better pricing and perks.  I for one will be on the phone with T-mobile asking for a credit or something for this perk which I am losing and being a T-mobile customer for 12 years I hope I can get something for this loss of a great perk.

Userlevel 1

The current Ad Free Standard Netflix is valued at  $15.49 per month on my Magenta MAX plan - aka the plan I signed up for.   I’m being downgraded to Netflix Standard w/Ads, a $6.99 value and Hulu w/Ads, $7.99 per month value.  So the new value for both Netflix w/Ads and Hulu w/Ads is $14.98 per month, so a value decrease in value of 51 cents… not a huge amount.

However, we will now have to deal with a constant stream of annoying Ads while watching our favorite shows and movies on both Netflix and Hulu.

It’s time to find another Cellular provider.  Shoot, I can do without streaming services if it saves me a bunch of money on my plan.

Userlevel 1

Netflix offers us Hulu with ads for free(that we never asked for) while downgrading Netflix without ads to Netflix with ads. They make it sound like this is a new benefit, which it is not. I will now downgrade my Magenta Max 55+ to the regular Magenta 55+ plan and pay for Netflix without ads separately.

TLDR; I only made a username today because I got tired of seeing the majority of posts with no real information and just griefing. This is to provide what I have been through so far. I don’t think T-Mobile corporate has been providing good communication on this change both to the public and internally. I have been trying to get a straight answer from T-Mobile who is making the change (T-Mobile/Netflix) and why. If you don’t have information that provides actual help or are just guessing, please do not respond. I am waiting on an “escalated ticket” response to find out if I can stay on Basic.

So Netflix changes their terms so it's a Tmobile issue? All Tmobile does is facilitate the payment to Netflix.

Per https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926:
“The Basic plan is no longer available for new or rejoining members. If you are currently on the Basic plan, you can remain on this plan until your plan is changed or you cancel your account.” - So Netflix is apparently not kicking anyone off Basic who already has it.

“Note: *The Standard with ads plan may not be available through all third-party billing partners and packages. Please check with your provider to confirm availability.” - T-Mobile is a billing partner, but this does not mention Basic would be unavailable. This may be what you need to do to keep Basic. I read on Reddit if you stop Billing through T-Mobile and pay Netflix directly, you can keep Basic. I HAVE NOT confirmed this with Netflix though, so you should ask them first if that is what you want.

Thing is, T-Mobile didn’t provide any real information to their customer service agents it seems. I have gone through multiple customer service contacts with T-Mobile, and every one of them not great due to a lack of knowledge and heavy handed confusing wording:

First, Chat/T-Mobile: I stated I want to stay on the Basic plan. I was repeatedly told not to worry that I was on it “today”. When I asked about Jan 24/25 (it’s listed as 2 different dates in multiple places), I was told to not worry that I will be placed on Standard w/ads this month, even though I am contacting to not have that happen and stay on Basic. I was then told that “it” was done (I don’t remember the exact wording) and to not worry (“don’t worry” is a recurring theme).

Second, Call/T-Mobile: I felt uncomfortable with how the chat went, so I called to confirm I will not be changed. The agent was unable to to see anything that indicates I would stay on Basic. They believed (they were not sure) that Netflix was initiating the change. Makes sense I guess, so time to contact Netflix.

Third, Chat/Netflix: Agent informs me that Netflix cannot make plan changes to accounts billed through partners like T-Mobile. They state that I am on Basic and can stay on Basic and to let T-Mobile know I do not want to change.

Fourth, Chat/T-Mobile: Again stating I do not want Standard w/ads, I want to stay on Basic. I got the same “don’t worry” talk about how I was already on Basic “today” and “don’t worry” i will be upgraded later when asking to not be upgraded in the future. The agent told me that Netflix was dropping the plan, I showed them the Netflix page saying you can keep it. This would imply T-Mobile wants to kick me off Basic. They would not confirm that was the case.  After an hour of back and forth, I got an “escalated ticket” on how to stay on Basic. Waiting for a response next week.

The only reason I have been able to determine is that T-Mobile wants to pay less for “Netflix on Us”. Directly via Netflix, Basic is $9.99, Standard w/ads is $6.99, and Standard w/o ads is $15.49. This would explain the “Netflix on Us”  change from $6.50 → $8.50 ($15.49 - 6.99 = $8.50). Same logic for Premium.

Userlevel 1

TLDR; I only made a username today because I got tired of seeing the majority of posts with no real information and just griefing. This is to provide what I have been through so far. I don’t think T-Mobile corporate has been providing good communication on this change both to the public and internally. I have been trying to get a straight answer from T-Mobile who is making the change (T-Mobile/Netflix) and why. If you don’t have information that provides actual help or are just guessing, please do not respond. I am waiting on an “escalated ticket” response to find out if I can stay on Basic.

Per https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926:
“The Basic plan is no longer available for new or rejoining members. If you are currently on the Basic plan, you can remain on this plan until your plan is changed or you cancel your account.” - So Netflix is apparently not kicking anyone off Basic who already has it.

“Note: *The Standard with ads plan may not be available through all third-party billing partners and packages. Please check with your provider to confirm availability.” - T-Mobile is a billing partner, but this does not mention Basic would be unavailable. This may be what you need to do to keep Basic. I read on Reddit if you stop Billing through T-Mobile and pay Netflix directly, you can keep Basic. I HAVE NOT confirmed this with Netflix though, so you should ask them first if that is what you want.

Thing is, T-Mobile didn’t provide any real information to their customer service agents it seems. I have gone through multiple customer service contacts with T-Mobile, and every one of them not great due to a lack of knowledge and heavy handed confusing wording:

First, Chat/T-Mobile: I stated I want to stay on the Basic plan. I was repeatedly told not to worry that I was on it “today”. When I asked about Jan 24/25 (it’s listed as 2 different dates in multiple places), I was told to not worry that I will be placed on Standard w/ads this month, even though I am contacting to not have that happen and stay on Basic. I was then told that “it” was done (I don’t remember the exact wording) and to not worry (“don’t worry” is a recurring theme).

Second, Call/T-Mobile: I felt uncomfortable with how the chat went, so I called to confirm I will not be changed. The agent was unable to to see anything that indicates I would stay on Basic. They believed (they were not sure) that Netflix was initiating the change. Makes sense I guess, so time to contact Netflix.

Third, Chat/Netflix: Agent informs me that Netflix cannot make plan changes to accounts billed through partners like T-Mobile. They state that I am on Basic and can stay on Basic and to let T-Mobile know I do not want to change.

Fourth, Chat/T-Mobile: Again stating I do not want Standard w/ads, I want to stay on Basic. I got the same “don’t worry” talk about how I was already on Basic “today” and “don’t worry” i will be upgraded later when asking to not be upgraded in the future. The agent told me that Netflix was dropping the plan, I showed them the Netflix page saying you can keep it. This would imply T-Mobile wants to kick me off Basic. They would not confirm that was the case.  After an hour of back and forth, I got an “escalated ticket” on how to stay on Basic. Waiting for a response next week.

The only reason I have been able to determine is that T-Mobile wants to pay less for “Netflix on Us”. Directly via Netflix, Basic is $9.99, Standard w/ads is $6.99, and Standard w/o ads is $15.49. This would explain the “Netflix on Us”  change from $6.50 → $8.50 ($15.49 - 6.99 = $8.50). Same logic for Premium.

I spoke with upper-tier rep , he confirmed Basic will remain in tact for customers with that plan.

It's grandfathered in

My Account was also noted with guarantee.

Downside.

Up until last week , I was able to stream on 2 devices @ once 

Now , It will only allow one stream with option to pay $6.99 upgrade for second stream.

This is were it gets tricky. If you choose upgrade Basic plan is no more. You are put on Standard plan with ads.

That isn't Tmobiles fault, Netflix is to blame.

Their trying to eliminate Basic plan users.

Userlevel 1

Made user name today for participation 

9 year customer on old $25.00 unlimited talk & Text + $20.00 Unlimited data add on & 5gb tether (Orginal Jump) Plan.

Was Digits beta tester , get that free + t-mobile was kind enough to give me free Netflix basic plan for participation - All grandfathered in thank you John Legere.

Those on old Basic Netflix plan are safe....somewhat.

Those on that plan can no longer stream on 2 devices @ once unless you pay upgrade fee of $6.99.

If you choose upgrade option basic plan is no more , you're on new Standard Ad plan.

I blame Netflix for that , their trying too phase out Basic plan customers.

At least T-mobile is making it a little harder for them to achieve that goal.

I feel that T-Mobile has downgraded me. If they gave me the standard plan at 15.49 free as being a G05G Plus subscriber and they bump me down to the standard with ads that's 6.99. They downgraded me and my T-Mobile bill should reflect the difference. But it is not only the ads to deal with, and I could probably live with, but if you read the standard with ads plan. You do not have access to all of Netflix’s content. Some TV series or movies may not be available unless you are on the standard plan. So you are kind of getting hit twice. How much content is not available, I do not know. Just going off the plans description. 

So to all the people saying this is an overreaction and that "it costs nothing to simply not use it," every one of us is paying for this service, and if you think the price of Netflix isn't baked into the price you pay, then you don't know how business works. Even if we were getting it completely free, we may only have signed up for the service for specific perks, and may not be able to change services now due to the glut of legacy hardware and software that's in regular use around the world. We have a right to be pissed, because ads aren't nothing. They're annoying, they waste time, and more importantly they eat up data - and since we still have soft data caps that matters. Get off your high horse and recognize when you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation.

Netflix offers us Hulu with ads for free(that we never asked for) while downgrading Netflix without ads to Netflix with ads. They make it sound like this is a new benefit, which it is not. I will now downgrade my Magenta Max 55+ to the regular Magenta 55+ plan and pay for Netflix without ads separately.

You say that they offer hulu with ads when your signed with Netflix themselves? Please clarify, also are you not in the US? Because we've never heard about having hulu with ads for being with Netflix! 

Userlevel 1

Tmobile lied to customers on Basic ad free plan.

My account was noted on Jan 17 with promise guarantee that no change would take place to my Netflix Basic.

Change took place yesterday putting me on Standard ad.

Spoke with rep , transfered to supervisor that viewed note and basically told me to kick rocks on social media to get results promised. Supervisor had no choice to give such direction, up chain escalation wasn't possible her hands were tied.

As 9 year customer,  I'm very disappointed in T-mobiles new direction putting customers last. John Legere worked hard preventing that from happening , those days are no more under new leadership.

Sad indeed , T-mobiles just another carrier joining Verizon & AT&T

It’s not really free if you have to have one of their most expensive plans (which are already 100% overpriced) to get it. On top of the fact that they recently raised the prices of their plans, so they’re basically just getting you to pay for it anyway lol. Atp it’s cheaper to have a lower plan or different phone company entirely and pay for Netflix yourself so I can see why people including myself think this is a useless ‘upgrade’. They give the option to change but only to a higher costing plan like Standard or Premium unfortunately.

You say that they offer hulu with ads when your signed with Netflix themselves? Please clarify, also are you not in the US? Because we've never heard about having hulu with ads for being with Netflix! 

I believe the free Hulu is a new benefit they’re offering I recall receiving a message about it a few weeks back. 

No one is forcing you to be a troll, but here you are. 

Netflix is not included in the Essentials $90 plan, you must pay for GO5G or higher for $120, which means, it’s not really Free is it?

First, I knew nothing of this change coming. My first and only notice was the email I received today from Netflix, telling me my plan has changed, not even from T-Mobile. I’m kind of ticked off I wasn’t warned of this for a few reasons. Part of the perks from the plan was getting standard netflix paid by T-Mobile, now for me to get the same benefit I had, will have me paying more than the cost of the ‘standard with ads’

Secondly, From my bill:

Netflix Standard with ads - T-Mobile Offer

Includes $15.49 Netflix Discount

It’s now a $6.99 benefit but still says 15.49.

I currently pay an additional $11 per month on my T-Mobile bill in order to get Netflix Premium.  I just received a text message from T-Mobile that my cost would be increasing to $16 per month to keep Netflix Premium.

You should be able to change to Netflix Standard option for $8.50 per month added to your T-Mobile bill.

I’m a bit confused.  Where did the above screenshot/chart come from?  IF I read the above correctly, if you have Go5G Plus or Go5G Next, you get NetFlix Standard (not NetFlix standard w/ads) for free?  It says Remains Free under the Standard column.  We have Go5G Plus, but on the T-Mobilie add-ons it only says we get the Standard w/ads On US?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No one is forcing you to be a troll, but here you are. 

Netflix is not included in the Essentials $90 plan, you must pay for GO5G or higher for $120, which means, it’s not really Free is it?

it is if youre already on said plans.. heres one for you..if your current plan is $90 and you must pay for Netflix yourself..or you can jump up to the correct plan and pay $30 more to get your TMO offered Netflix..which one sounds like its the cheaper route?

or...you can downgrade your plan to one that does NOT include it then pay for Netflix yourself with the money you saved by going to a lower plan...

I’m a bit confused.  Where did the above screenshot/chart come from?  IF I read the above correctly, if you have Go5G Plus or Go5G Next, you get NetFlix Standard (not NetFlix standard w/ads) for free?  It says Remains Free under the Standard column.  We have Go5G Plus, but on the T-Mobilie add-ons it only says we get the Standard w/ads On US?

I’m on Magenta Max. I don’t know where that chart came from, but according to Netflix, and my account info, I’m on w/ ads. Even better, the App just told me I’m on “Basic with ads”, then a screen telling me it changed to standard with ads and to talk to tmobile if I have any questions.

I will be paying 8.50 more to get the standard back with Max, or I drop to cheaper plan, which is tempting

So I’m considering adding an extra member slot for $7.99, but you need to be on Standard plan with no ads. If I “upgrade” then $8.50 will be added to my T-mobile bill. Can I then add this extra slot and pay Netflix directly for that part or is this a no-go because I’m being billed through T-mobile?