Question

What is the cost of the Philo promotion?

• 1 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Philo costs $25 per month. I signed up for Philo through the T-Mobile discount offering $10 off per month for 12 months of the service, but I am being billed $16.98 per month. I’m not a math wizard, but that seems more like 8 bucks off, not 10. Am I missing something?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The government share.

Badge

I appreciate the response, and I considered that. But the fine print of the offer specifically states that taxes will be added to the full cost of the plan AFTER the 12 month discount expires. It is silent on taxes during the promotional period. It just seems disingenuous to mention taxes later but not address taxes now if that is in fact what the extra 2 bucks is for. That’s disappointing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I appreciate the response, and I considered that. But the fine print of the offer specifically states that taxes will be added to the full cost of the plan AFTER the 12 month discount expires. It is silent on taxes during the promotional period. It just seems disingenuous to mention taxes later but not address taxes now if that is in fact what the extra 2 bucks is for. That’s disappointing.

https://about.philo.com/terms/#philo-promotions

IMPORTANT NOTICE: At the conclusion of the applicable Trial Period, the free Trial Offer immediately expires and your account automatically converts to a paid subscription for the Philo services (plus taxes) on a recurring monthly basis.

Offer Conditions and Limitations: unless expressly stated to the contrary by Philo (or its affiliate or third party if applicable) in conjunction therewith, the following apply to each Offer:

Excludes taxes and any other fees. If a minimum purchase is specified, taxes and any other fees are excluded from that amount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Also I just received an email from Tmobile stating that as long as I remain a Tmobile customer that I'll get Philo for $15 a month plus tax.

Badge

I see your point, but here is the offer on T-Mobile’s website:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/tv-discount

Limited-time offer; subject to change. Offered by T-Mobile only to T-Mobile wireless or Home Internet customers (excluding business customers) who are residents of the 50 U.S., 18+ (“Customers”). Eligible Customers receive a 7-day free trial of Philo and $10 off/month for 12 months (regularly $25/mo) or then current monthly subscription price thereafter. Limit (1) Offer per Customer, one-time use only. Offer/discount is non-transferable, may not be resold or redeemed for cash, and may not be combined with other offers, discounts, or promotions (unless expressly permitted by Philo). Discount ends if T-Mobile account is terminated; Philo subscription automatically reverts to the current full subscription price. IMPORTANT NOTICE: Valid payment information and subscription required to redeem Offer. If you do not cancel during the applicable trial period (7-day free or 12-month discounted), you will be charged the applicable monthly amount plus taxes on a recurring basis after the trials end. Go to your Philo account page to cancel. Cancellation takes effect on the next monthly billing date (no refunds for partial billing periods). Redemption of this Offer constitutes acceptance of these Terms and all applicable Terms and Conditions, see philo.com/terms/#philo-promotions for more details. T-Mobile reserves the right to modify this Offer at any time. Philo reserves the right to modify or cancel this Offer at any time. Void where taxed, prohibited, or restricted.

I highlighted the only mention of taxes in the above listing. In fairness, they do offer a link to the Philo conditions, but how hard would it be to simply say customers have to pay taxes on the discounted services, as well as the non-discounted services? Stating taxes are due after the discount expires, while remaining silent on taxes during the promotion, could certainly SUGGEST that taxes are charged ONLY AFTER the discount expires. It feels just a bit sleazy to me. And then there’s the unpleasant surprise of expecting a $15 charge for Philo, and seeing that the charge is actually $16.98. Boooooooo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately it also states that Tmobile can modify the offer at any time. February 19th Tmobile implemented a new rule where taxes will be paid on upgraded streaming services and other services even with a tax included plan.

If you want you can go to Tmonews.com and go back to February to find the article.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Unfortunately it also states that Tmobile can modify the offer at any time. February 19th Tmobile implemented a new rule where taxes will be paid on upgraded streaming services and other services even with a tax included plan.

If you want you can go to Tmonews.com and go back to February to find the article.

https://www.tmonews.com/2022/01/t-mobile-makes-tax-related-changes-account-add-ons-select-plans