Why are we being penalized suddenly for paying with a credit card?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have been with T-Mobile and have used my credit card with autopay for 5 years. Now all of the sudden I am being charged a $5 fee every month even though I’m enrolled in autopay just because I prefer to use a credit card!? This is ridiculous. I don’t use my debit card for anything and I’m not going to just because T-Mobile wants me to for whatever stupid reason. Honestly, this pisses me off so much that this the first time in years that I’m seriously considering switching to another carrier.

tidbits 10 months ago

I have a banner when I log into my T-Mobile Account notifying me about it.  My bet is T-Mobile is paying to process payments and are trying not to pay them.  My cousins daughter just had to start charging 6% on all CC payments, or switch to another processing company. They could have switched to another processor, but especially for T-Mobile it’ll be a big move.  Of course this is all speculation.  A lot of companies are starting to add a surcharge for CC payments.

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

youre paying a $5 fee or you are no longer getting $5 off for using the card and are now paying $5 more per month?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have been on autopay (using my credit card) for ages, which gives a $5 discount. I was just informed today -- and only because I called T-Mobile, I might add; I never got a notice about this -- that in order to qualify for the discount moving forward I have to use a debit card or connect my bank account.

It was bizarre, because the rep on the phone kept assuring me over and over that my information was EXTREMELY safe with T-Mobile. I told her I don’t care, I want to use my credit card like I always have. It just irritates me that I’m suddenly being penalized for this out of the blue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

They were supposed to send out notices on the 20th but I haven't received one yet.

You can open a Tmobile Money account and pay with that.

Userlevel 1
Badge

lol I don’t need another bank account 😂 that would be crazy to sign up for that just to save $5/month lmao.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have a banner when I log into my T-Mobile Account notifying me about it.  My bet is T-Mobile is paying to process payments and are trying not to pay them.  My cousins daughter just had to start charging 6% on all CC payments, or switch to another processing company. They could have switched to another processor, but especially for T-Mobile it’ll be a big move.  Of course this is all speculation.  A lot of companies are starting to add a surcharge for CC payments.

Yeah, I was terribly disappointed that T-Mobile stooped to this.  I’m probably going to switch to another carrier once I’ve paid off my 2 devices.  

Userlevel 5

You can show your dissatisfaction by cancelling autopay, then have them send you a paper bill.  You then have the option of paying by check, or by your bank’s bill pay, or if you log into your account you can still use your credit card to pay.  You won’t be getting the discount but you will be demonstrating your dissatisfaction and making sure T-Mobile doesn’t realize their cost savings at your expense.

How many customers are also now losing points and benefits like cellphone insurance offered by the credit card?  So this is a double whammy move by T-Mobile.   And there is no way I would trust them with my primary bank information!

Credit card fees are a cost of doing business. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile is going to start charging people $5 to pay in the store.

The Fry's grocery stores are charging 50 cents to get back money from a debit card purchase.

Everyone keeps asking why T-mobile is trying to migrate everyone off paying via credit card to paying via debit or direct bank transfer instead.

The answer is this simple: There is an arrogant EVP within T-Mobile that knows jack about how one builds customer loyalty. Instead, that person believes he is a genius for devising a scheme whereby the company’s spreadsheet with show a significant increase in income from customer accounts. An increase that he will then leverage for a bonus. All this because very few C-level executives at corporations actually have the core values that define character. Instead, its all about them and the average person or family struggling to pay bills, merely exists to help them build untold wealth for them and their families.

People have long memories and what T-Mobile has done with such an ill-advised scheme, will hurt them in the long run. I for one am so pissed off at this strategy that I will be cancelling my account with T-Mobile. They don’t care about me, but if enough “me’s” join in, the company will take a loss from this ill-advised scheme. Anyone else recall when T-Mobile launched home internet? They claimed they would NEVER raise the rate. Slimey is as slimey does. I do not trust T-mobile with my debit card or banking info, given their poor track record of security.

BTW, during my career (retired now) I was a business consultant to C-level executives at Fortune 100 Companies as well as several government organizations, including FBI, Naval Intelligence, Army Corp of Engineers, etc, etc, etc. I have also been a consultant employed by the Small Business Administration to provide guidance to small business having difficulties. So yes, I know what I am talking about and you - that T-Mobile VP who thinks they are just brilliant? - does not. 

Unfortunately T-Mobile is not the only one doing this.  With all of the breaches to accounts there is no way I’m handing over either my bank account or my Debit card (which has the highest use of theft).  I switched from Verizon to save money but unfortunately I am going to have to sacrifice some coverage to reduce my bill.  Maybe if enough people did that someone would get the picture.  I don’t need to use my phone for work and as long as texting works I will be fine.  But I am not fine with a $150 bill each month for 3 phones.

Badge

They were supposed to send out notices on the 20th but I haven't received one yet.

That will add another account to mange. Some elderly can’t handle that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That will add another account to mange. Some elderly can’t handle that.

That's an option, so if someone can't handle that then don't do it.

I have been on autopay (using my credit card) for ages, which gives a $5 discount. I was just informed today -- and only because I called T-Mobile, I might add; I never got a notice about this -- that in order to qualify for the discount moving forward I have to use a debit card or connect my bank account.

It was bizarre, because the rep on the phone kept assuring me over and over that my information was EXTREMELY safe with T-Mobile. I told her I don’t care, I want to use my credit card like I always have. It just irritates me that I’m suddenly being penalized for this out of the blue.

Well,I switched to T Mobile home internet from Comcast,because I did not like the way they handled the data breach.So,I can understand persons not trusting companies with their personal information.