Question

2.4 Ghz internet devices keep disconnecting from GSE internet box

• 22 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Recently switched to tmobile internet and first few days everything worked fine.  All devices connected with no issues.  Decent speed and all. One morning awoke to find no internet at all. Fixed by unplugging tmobile modem and power back up. Suspect never recovered from forced firmware update.  Since then most of the devices that operate only on the 2.4 ghz bbandwidth either won't connect or won't stay connected.  These are different brands such as LG (refrigerator), Texas Instrument (thermostat), Epson ecotank printer and Samsung stove,  and Amazon devices which weren't reliable already so not fretting them. The stove can get reconnect in about 10 minutes.  The fridge sometimes takes half hour or more to get back online (latest model nearly 5k and only 6 months old). The thermostat can sometimes be as simple as cutting the power at the circuit breaker box and powering it back up. The printer never reconnect again..

Tmobile experts had me do 3 hours of troubleshooting.  Including separating 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz bandwidth with different said, no special characters I. Name or password.  Using the older WPA security (which my Samsung S23 ultra refuses to connect with due to insufficient security). Resetting device back to factory settings. Removing the sim and other steps I probably forgot. Finally they sent a new modem out to replace the just got new one.  It doesn't do any better.  

Sometimes you  know the modem got a firmware update because again no internet to any device regardless of what bandwidth (like the smart TV uses 5 ghz). 5 ghz can be recovered by unplugging the new "new" modem and restarting.  The other devices are sometimes having to wait a couple days until I can keep going through the steps to get them reconnected.  Oh, the printer was assigned the incorrect gateway is why it won't reconnect by wifi but ordering a 25 foot ethernet cable and hard wired to the modem has finally fixed it. Even my Acer computer is struggling to stay connected on either the 2.4 ghz bandwidth or the 5 ghz.  Often it will say no internet connection.  Suddenly it makes connection for a few minutes but just as mysterious it will drop off as well.  

While I do like the price of the tmobile internet for the aggravation I should have stayed with Comcast xfinity even through it was 3 time the price.  Nothing ever had any connection issues with them until the old modem failed but the new old resolved that an6 was working fine for almost a year. Even the sometimes fickle Amazon plugs rarely had any problems. 

Am I doomed to constantly suffering this aggravation while tmobile keeps updating the modem? Good thing my vivint has cell backup so the alarm system will still work. But it's really inconvenient to get up from my wheelchair to change the room temperature.  Impossible to tell the fridge it's not making enough ice for your needs without being connected.  I have a work around for the printer and the other day I was able to get it reconnected to wifi for a whole half hour before it stopped being online.  Of course I "fixed it" by putting it back in corded mode.  

Even the tmobile internet app itself won't stay connected with never being able to get it to display the networks page without seeing the error message of need to restart the router if the error continues and let me tell you restarting it usually doesn't fix the issue.  When I find time I do a factory reset of the router and then it will start working again. 

If anyone has any idea other than grin and bear it, I would love to give them a try. I will probably get on my 4th call with tech support soon but I am not sure if they are going to making it better 

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I don’t know the term “GSE internet box.”  But I do have TMHI and can offer some general advice.  T-Mobile calls the unit a “gateway.”

1. The gateway needs to receive a strong 5G signal, but it also needs to be in a fairly central location in your house.  You might need to try it in a different room.
  2. You want to keep the default network as it comes (with the exception of changing the password.) The default network supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and the highest level of security available on the gateway which is WPA2/WPA3.  Most devices should work on this, as you found the first day.  Your Samsung S23 should be fine with this network.  (by the way, my Amazon devices work fine with this configuration.)
  3. Some Older devices (possibly your printer?) might not like the default network.  So you want to ADD a second network which is 2.4 GHz and “dumbed down” security of WPA/WPA2.  Use this for the devices that won’t connect to the default network.
  4. Generally, 2.4 GHz reaches farther throughout the house than 5 GHz.   Perhaps your kitchen is far away from the gateway and the appliances are trying to connect to the 5 GHz band of the default network.  You could set up a third network which is 2.4 GHz and WPA2/WPA3 security. 
  5. You could have a fourth network which is 5 GHz and WPA2/WPA3, but you probably don’t need it. 
  6. Devices on different networks can communicate with each other.  For example, my laptop on the default network can print to my non-Wi-Fi printer which is connected via USB to my old desktop computer, which is connected to the second (2.4 GHz) network.
  7. You might need to “factory reset” the gateway to restore the original default network.  This might help your issue with updates.
Badge

I like all these steps.  Unfortunately it is nothing new that we already tried on my first call to tmobile support.  Which ended in getting a new modem shipped out even though the one I had was only a week old. The issues started after a forced firmware update or that is my suspicion. 

So far multiple factory reset.  Sim exchange. Always breaking up the network into multiple separate bands and dumb down the security protocol.  Daily restart of the new replacement modem because the tmobile internet app itself won't even work unless you frequently restart it. All 4 bands sit up as you described with one that is combo of 5 and 2.4 ghz (default from the box), one only 5 ghz, one 2.4 ghz dedicated with the WPA 2 protocol and one 2.4 ghz only with the WPA 3 security.  Unfortunately 4 is the max these router will support.  I have trimmed back to 3 and even 2 bands only in case I was overwhelming the router but that didn't help either.  Even as I wrote this help request up last night I went down the hallway and noticed my thermostat was no longer online (yellow exclamation mark across the wifi symbol, usually means signal is reaching it but the password couldn't be negotiated). 

My home isn't big so from the router to the furthest device (smart TV) the signal strength is 80 percent on 5 ghz and 100 percent on 2.4 ghz (because like you said, 2.5 travels further than 5 ghz) and is about 30 feet away from the router.  The router itself is speed ping test at around 216 to 250 Meg down load and between 116 to 140 up so it's able to handle multiple streams without lag. (I have recently added an external antenna to get those speeds and was hoping that would make a difference in problem even though it shouldn't and it didn't). Problem still exists regardless of internal built-in antenna or the external antenna. 

My biggest clue so far is how the printer was assigned the wrong default gateway or other times the wrong subnet mask when connected via Wi-Fi. Other devices are not able to provide that information to me but the printer has a  trouble shooting page that prints the network status in all the details.  Since this is assigned by the router DCHP function it seems the issue originates there.  Here's another anomaly that happened on both routers so far.  The LG fridge shows as being connected to the network but without the Wi-Fi symbol which usually means the device is connected via ethernet cable. (Amazingly sometimes it does have the wifi symbol but regardless of the presence or absence of the symbol I still only manage to have a  connected device for just a few hours before it looses internet functionality) 

A new puppy is what caused all the problems as she dug up the cable connecting my house to the Comcast line pole so I figured I would give a wireless router a try. Since I am in a wheelchair it would be hard to dig a new trench in the yard and encase the wire inside piping that she couldn't chew through. I even would have to go under a small area that has been covered by concrete so that's why I left Comcast. It is not impossible though I would like that as a last resort answer. 

Please let me know of any other ideas I didn't mention as trying already. And thanks for your thorough explanation of the steps suggested 

Norman 

Badge

Sorry for forgetting this.  GSE box is referring to the model of gateway I was sent by tmobile. Apparently there are the GSE and the GSAR models currently being shipped.  It's a white box with 4 n connectors to attach an external antenna.  It has two ethernet ports and one USB C port that's not power input. And I just realized I left out a character for the model.  It's got a 4 right after the G so mine would be a G4SE model made by Sercomm for tmobile (versus the G4SAR version possible made by different manufacturer). Hope that clears up what I meant to say.

Badge

Been busy but I have an update on this issue.  The computer connected to 5 gigahertz bandwidth has been more stable for a week now.  It was like a whole week that we woke up and still had internet service throughout the house.  Less of the devices that connect only to the 2.4 gigahertz bandwidth were being dropped. By George, maybe the issue with the gateway has improved.  Not so much today.  Today all the devices that are connected to the dedicated 2.4 network are being randomly disconnected from wifi.  My home thermometer won't stay connected more than a couple hours at a time.  Just like the fridge. But here's what I have discovered because of getting a new internet capable home security system. The gateway is having trouble with the password working. Here's what's up. The device will no longer show online and trying to reconnect prompts for the password every time. When it goes to the handshake stage of connecting the error message of incorrect password happens. It's the same password I have been using for a decade. Trying to verify the password on the tmobile internet app gives that oh so common error message The gateway did not respond. If you're seeing this message repeatedly, try restarting your gateway.  You know restart the gateway only resolves the error message at a one in six chance (means you sometimes have to restart 5 or 6 times before you can get past the message). So I  noticed the plus sign was available to click on.  Just for laughs (why not when the problem continues to be extremely frustrating) I clicked on the plus.  Should not have let me do anything since I already had 4 named networks which is the limit for this model gateway. Instead it allows me to go through the steps and supposedly create another named network and take the 90 seconds to automatically reboot.  When it's back up the newly created network isn't there but the 4 that were now show up and clicking on the plus immediately gives the message you can only have max of 4 networks. 

So to sum it up.  The gateway fails to recognize the password intermittently resulting in devices being disconnected from the wifi.  Second it fails to recognize the networks that it's supposed to be broadcasting. This leads me back to my original thought that the gateway is having either firmware or software issues.  But if anyone else has any ideas please let me know and I'll be happy to try them. I am disabled now but I was going for a degree in IT before the company I worked for transferred all those jobs over seas so I am willing and capable to try very complicated procedures to fix this. Provided I can execute those commands with this crippled interface (you can't even see logs)

Thanks 

DaFattMann 

hmm. Figured I'd try to add some scren captures 

My 2.4 frequency sepsrate from the original wifi network dropped its “memory” of my password last night so all connected to the network went offline.  I had to delete and re add the network w the same name and settings. I pray this works but I have a feeling I’m going to have issues like you’re describing.  I too just switched from Comcast saving $59 a month. Even though the connection isn’t t as good I don’t want to have to go back to Comcast uggggg. I hope they figure this out and you found a solution. 

Badge

Sorry for being away from this topic but I have spent a lot of time in the hospital.  Things are going better now as to I have been able to return home.  Enough of that. 

Great  news! I have a permanent solution for the problem with now the third? Fourth? Gateway customer service has sent trying to fix the issue of not staying connected to wifi. It was to invest in a cheap wifi router. In this case the TP-Link C24 iunder 30 dollars at Walmart. I connected it to the otmobile Gateway and created a 2.4 gigahertz network and have all the home appliances, printers, alexa devices, thermostats and any other device that I restricted to the older technology.  Not a  single dropped issue since then.  I used the 5 gigahertz network for the home security system and tablets and computers.  The only devices that are still using the tmobile gateway is the son's gaming system and the smart TVs. When they loose connection or slow down simply restart those to get them reconnected to the wifi. 

This,to me,is proof these new 5G gateways are a POS.  But at least you can fix the problem and end this frustration. Best of luck to all those who helped or need this solution. I can now once again tell the refrigerator to make more ice or preheated the oven before I get home or control the temperature and lights in the house.  Yay! Now I can smile and save money.