Solved

5G Gateway A

• 6 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I am trialing the 5G Gateway A, so far I’ve set up an iPhone, a Chromebook and an LG Smart TV.
I’m also trying out YouTubeTV to test it because I want to cut the cable cord. The LG TV has lost the network connection a couple of times.
We live in a Manufactured Home Community near the coast in Southern California. I moved the device to a spot closer to the TV.  So far, so good. The device says I have a “Good” connection with 3 bars. I still need to add another TV and laptop, as well as another iPhone. We’d only be using one TV at a time. 
Is 3 bars sufficient? Is there a way to boost the connection? I’m not real tech saavy.

icon

Best answer by Rogracer2000 6 April 2023, 20:33

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hard to say...3 bars may be fine.  You should download the TM Internet app (not to be confused with regular TM app) and check the signal quality statistics in there.  You can move the gateway around your house (putting it in windows) to find a spot that maximizes signal quality.  If this spot turns out to be too far from your TV for a good WiFi signal, you may need to upgrade to a mesh network for better WiFi coverage.  You should also download a SpeedTest app and check your speeds.  Speeds will vary at different times of the day (the nature of cellular service), but “in general” most folks are happy with downloads exceeding 40 mbps.  TM Internet is capable of over 500 mbps under good conditions, but the vast majority of folks do not need that kind of speed.

Badge

That’s very helpful. I used the app to find the best connection.  I will look into the SpeedTest app.  Any suggestions? What’s a mesh network? Would I use that along with the Tmobile gateway?

Badge

Speed Test around 12:30 pm 
Download 59.95
Upload 10.29

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Rogracer2000 has some good advice, however I'm not sure you need a mesh network in a manufactured home. If your home has metal outside walls and roof, even aluminum, that will definitely affect your reception. I have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway with 48 (!) devices connected to it. We connect with 3 bars and 4G LTE. My reception varies greatly with the time of day, but I've had no problem streaming at all. I too have YouTube TV and haven't noticed even a hiccup while watching TV. I have 3 Macs, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, Amazon Echo devices throughout the house and lots of automated switches and plugs. 

If you're not a technical person, I'd hold off installing an additional router, which will just complicate your network and take up additional power and space.

Good luck!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Yeah, the mesh work is only needed if you have issues with WiFi at certain locations in your house.  Your speeds are decent and shoudn’t be an issue unless you are streaming multiple 4K TVs.  Keep checking though...they may getter better or worse.  My downloads can range from 40 to 500+ mpbs for reference.

Badge

Thank you both for the solid information. It seems 3 bars should work most of the time for just the two of us. I will continue to remain optimistic that T-mobile is striving to make it even better.