Question

5G Gateway High Latency and slower than my cable modem

• 25 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

So I am still within the 14 day trial period but I am leaning toward cancelling due to the high latency issues and speeds worse than my current cable modem. Plus the kicker is for some weird reason the stupid thing does a kind of power cycle by itself disconnecting all devices from the internet but the app on my phone says it is connected to the internet. At the same time that same phone if connected to the 5G Gateway the WiFi symbol gives me a ! meaning the WiFi does not have outside connection to the internet. This happened two mornings in a row then again that second night. Both mornings I power cycled the devices myself both my router and the 5G Gateway. The evening I did not and the connection came back but was really bad after about 15 minutes.  I haven’t tried to move the device too much through my home because my home is pre plumbed with ethernet to different rooms and goes to a central junction area where my router is and this 5G Gateway needs to be close to that or I would need to run a line back to it. I called that night about the issue and tech support tried to tell me they are working on the towers in my area.  I am an Electrical Engineer with loads of RF experience, so I don’t really like being lied to but hey maybe the tech doesn’t really know what is going on either.  Have given them one more day but speeds have actually gotten worse and latency is so bad games time out. Moved the device around a little and never been higher than 3 bars and speed test high end was 100Mbs at first then just started crashing into 60s and 40s, while my cable modem was always around 200s and higher.  I was hopeful my father has one of these and his speeds were 500s and higher sometimes but he lives in a different city far from where I am now. I see others are having similar issues when trying to run similar setups with multiple devices and their own router after the modem. I would like the ability to turn off the 5G WiFi 2.4 and 5GHz so it wouldn’t interfere with my router which is superior because I have some many more options to customize it. 

2 replies

Lately my T-Mobile internet is fading in and out, nearly twice a week.  I'm placing it on the window sill or my dresser, to keep my devices connected.  However, the customer service did help me out a few times.

Anybody else getting this error code