Question

5G Home Setup Frustration

• 16 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Just spent 4 hours on the phone with TMO tech support (4 people).  Could never get wireless connection to work on my desktop computer. Called retail store in Mokena IL and they were of no use.  Bringing back the unit to the store tomorrow.  I will wait for Verizon service in my area.  

One person in tech support told me my account was not set up correctly, other we just clueless.  So much for the 15-minute setup, 

Was really looking forward to high-speed service in the rural area where I live. Guess I will need to wait a little longer. 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Could never get wireless connection to work on my desktop computer.

Since T-Mobile gateways use the latest WiFi standard, is your desktop computer WiFi-6 capable?

There are ways to work around the WiFi-6 standard.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

A number of people have had this problem. Mostly on Windows PCs.  For most of them, the solution was to update the PC’s wifi device drivers. Once they updated them, they could see and connect to the gateway. I have more than 25 devices connected to the gateway that are not wifi 6 capable. They connected the same as on any other network--no special workaround needed.

Badge

Surprising that the TMO tech support team is clueless about this issue.  I returned the gateway to the TMO retail store last evening and canceled my service.  I will upgrade my driver and use Verizon product,

I am not going to put up with crap TMO tech support.