5G speeds on wifi, but 4g speeds on ethernet

• 3 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi,

Got t mobile home 5g about 2 weeks ago. During the first week, speeds were fantastic, 650 down 40 up, on band n41. After that first week, the router rebooted itself on its own and when it came back I had a new ip, but the speed was still the same. I was curious as to if you get assigned a new ip every time you reboot, so I did it again and confirmed you do get a new ip. This time when I checked the speed after rebooting it manually, I dropped to 150 down 30 up (band b66). Tried rebooting it a few times and couldn’t get back on the good speed band (probably due to the location but I cba to move it around). Keep in mind this is all being done on my computer that’s connected with ethernet.

The weird part is, when I connect up to the router via my phone’s wifi, I’m still getting 650 down and 40 up. It’s literally just the ethernet that drops the speed and uses the b66 band while my phone still is using the n41, which makes very little sense to me since they are both connected to the same router. 

Seen quite a few topics and posts with people discussing how their router is not able to be locked onto a particular band and figured I would share my experience and would also note that putting in that feature of band locking would be greatly appreciated by everyone. 

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

WOW, that is some great down load speeds, I have never seen the speeds you have. The best I have seen is about 300 / 35. You said your phone is getting the 600+, have you tried using WiFi on your computer instead of the ethernet cable? For me n41 is better then n71 and sometimes I am on B2 or B66. I have had good speed all the time 200 / 25 + day and night. It’s just my wife and I most of the time so I have been happy so-far. For your new IP when your gateway reboots, yes sometimes you get a new IP. my gateway is getting a new IP every day or two without rebooting.

Badge

yeah, its just completely different speeds on wifi entirely which is just so weird to me since i was getting the fast speeds on both during the first week. im in the same boat where im happy so far, but if they put in the band locking feature some people have asked for i would be much happier