Question

Access OpenVPN server behind T-mobile Home Internet

• 24 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Currently, I am testing T-Mobile 5G Home Internet. Here is what I found while I am doing testing:

1.    CG-NAT, I am getting 192.168.12 IP on my router WAN
2.    NAT444, NAT after NAT, even whatismyip.com gives me a public ip which is the tower public ip, not my modem/gateway Ip.
3.    On my Asus router, I turn on IPv6, so I have a public IPv6

My setup:
1.    Internet <-> T-Mobile (modem/gateway 192.168.12.) <-> Asus router (192.168.1.0/24)
2.    I have Ipv6 on my router, which is a public 2607:fb91:82ae:1493
3.    I have OpenVPN server setup on the router. (I tested by access 192.168.12.x from my internal network which works, but it doesn’t work when I use the public IPv6 Ip)
4.    I have firewall disabled to make sure things work first 

Goals:
1.    I can access my internal network from a public location, so I can get files on my harddrive (attach to the router USB port)
2.    Access other web which has region check and I was oversea

Questions:
1.    How may I OpenVPN into my router from public so I can access my network resource?
2.    Any other suggestions?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

My first question is, which gateway are you using? Is it the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway?

There is currently no way to create a NAT back to your environment with T-Mobile. That’s because the type of Internet you're getting from them is Fixed Wireless Access (FWA), which fundamentally differs from a traditional ISP like Xfinity. With a conventional ISP, you get a geographically local external IP address. With FWA, you don't. For example, I live in S. Florida, but my external IP is in Seattle, WA. I get around this by using a VPN on the network device where I need it and connecting to a local server to get a local external IP.

Another problem with the KVD21 is that DHCP can't be disabled. That forces you to use your Asus in Access Point Mode (AP Mode) so you don't have two DHCP servers on the network.

If you must be able to create a NAT back to your local network, you might need something other than T-Mobile FWA. I'd also suggest you watch the Nater Tater videos on YouTube, which go into some of these problems and how they might be addressed.

I hope this helped. Good luck!

Badge

Thank you. Yes, it is a KVD21 gateway. I thought a public Ipv6 will help to have trouble into the router.

I was thinking about VPN, but the one was installed on a device/computer not on the router so I think that doesn’t work for me. 

I am going to check out Nater Tater video but I think if there is no good solution I may just end my trial period. 

My first question is, which gateway are you using? Is it the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway?

There is currently no way to create a NAT back to your environment with T-Mobile. That’s because the type of Internet you're getting from them is Fixed Wireless Access (FWA), which fundamentally differs from a traditional ISP like Xfinity. With a conventional ISP, you get a geographically local external IP address. With FWA, you don't. For example, I live in S. Florida, but my external IP is in Seattle, WA. I get around this by using a VPN on the network device where I need it and connecting to a local server to get a local external IP.

Another problem with the KVD21 is that DHCP can't be disabled. That forces you to use your Asus in Access Point Mode (AP Mode) so you don't have two DHCP servers on the network.

If you must be able to create a NAT back to your local network, you might need something other than T-Mobile FWA. I'd also suggest you watch the Nater Tater videos on YouTube, which go into some of these problems and how they might be addressed.

I hope this helped. Good luck!

Relevant thread on this at 

I share the frustrations here; for what it's worth I at least used the test period with T-Mobile to get my other ISP to lower my bill. They went back to giving me the introductory rate when I mentioned the lower competing price, roughly matching the T-Mobile offer.

Given higher upload speeds I’d prefer to switch with T-Mobile, but the inability to remote into my own network makes that a no-go.

Badge

I share the frustrations here; for what it's worth I at least used the test period with T-Mobile to get my other ISP to lower my bill. They went back to giving me the introductory rate when I mentioned the lower competing price, roughly matching the T-Mobile offer.

You are right. I ended up return it during trial because I cannot make it work to access my internal network from outside