Question

Can't Connect HP Printer Wirelessly to 5G Home Internet Gateway

• 6 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Just got T-Mobile’s 5G Home Internet gateway.  Works great and is fast.  But, I can’t figure out how to connect my printer to it wirelessly.  

My printer says:

ATTENTION: Your HP printer is unable to connect to your wireless router.  MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router, which can prevent your HP printer from connecting to your wireless network during setup.

SOLUTION: If MAC address filtering is enabled and you would like to keep it enabled, you must add the MAC address of your printer to the list of permitted devices for your wireless router before continuing.

The T-Mobile Internet app and browsing the router’s IP address do not show me any option to mess with MAC address filtering.

Tried changing from automatic frequency to 2.4GHz with no luck.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your printer to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Badge

Some devices cannot connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your printer to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Thank you for your quick reply.  I did try changing the main, single network’s frequency from automatic to 2.4GHz, but did not try adding an additional network set to 2.4GHz with WPA/WPA2 security - I will try that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You’re welcome.  This comes often.   I have my explanation saved in a Word doc.

If you can get the printer to connect to the second network, I recommend changing your primary network back to Automatic and WPA2/WPA3.  That is a lot more secure, which is better for your computers and phones.  It works for almost all of my devices.  One notable exception is my ancient desktop computer which needed the less secure network.  I made that network Hidden, which is the best I can do for its security. 

I have a HP office jet printer connects to T Mobile 5 G no problem. My iOS devices are having a hard time printing to the hp printer. Yes. I am on the same network. I can find and select the printer, but then when it goes to print it says “ failed to contact printer”.  Or the printer disappears from the print selection. Interesting it works with some applications, but not others. 

I have a HP office jet printer connects to T Mobile 5 G no problem. My iOS devices are having a hard time printing to the hp printer. Yes. I am on the same network. I can find and select the printer, but then when it goes to print it says “ failed to contact printer”.  Or the printer disappears from the print selection. Interesting it works with some applications, but not others. 

Did you ever get a response to your dilemma? I am having the same problem and T-Mobile can’t seem to figure out a solution! Pajones2

Badge

Did you ever get a response to your dilemma? I am having the same problem and T-Mobile can’t seem to figure out a solution! Pajones2

Go here and watch the video