Question

Computer Speed Not Good on Ethernet Cable

• 18 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 2 replies

I just got the T mobile Home Internet a couple of days ago.  Fast 5688W model.  The speeds on wi-fi are very good for me.  I just got 33.8 on my cell phone speed test thru T Mobile and 1.38 on my desktop hooked up to my internet provider.  Yes those are my numbers.  I moved my ethernet cable from my modem to my T Mobile tower and checked my speed and only got 1.98.  I was expecting to get much better.  I called the T Mobile store yesterday and talked to one of the salesmen and he said it didn’t know what would cause that.  I would sure appreciate any suggestions.  The area we live in has terrible internet service and there are no plans to improve it.  They will not even hook up a new customer on my road.  Thanks in advance for any help.

3 replies

Badge

Right after I posted my question I checked the speed again and got about 17 which is real good for us.  Not sure what is going on here.

Badge

I noticed a few minutes ago that my speed dropped down to 1 or 2.  Looked at the screen on my T mobile device and noticed it changed from 4G to 5G.  Have no idea why but now the speed is coming back up some.  I had heard that we had 2 towers near us.  1 4G and 1 5G.  Not sure if it is like that or not. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think the wired connection speed issue is just coincidence.  I think you have a marginal cell signal, and your modem is switching to slower LTE speeds off and on.  I think you should move your router around in your house (near windows or even out on a porch) and see if you can get a better cell signal.