Question

computer will not pick up t mobile router

• 23 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

my windows 7 laptop will not pick up my t mobile router but will pick up my phone hot spot and all my neighbors wi fi connections

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@richjackson1968 generally a PC still running Windows 7 may need a current wifi driver. However, others have experienced your situation - a wifi gateway that connects to other devices but not yours. The following link points to a Windows Techies troubleshooting page that looks like it could be helpful.

https://windowstechies.com/troubleshooting-windows-7-wireless-internet-connection-problems/

Let us know how it works out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you have an older client and you are also running Windows 7 it is very likely your network adapter is older and the driver for it just does not play well with the 802.11ax (WIFI-6) wireless radios in the gateway. You might try searching for a USB wireless adapter that is WIFI-5 or WIFI-6 capable and has driver support for the Windows 7 client. The newer 802.11ax is designed to be backward compatible for devices but the common problem is with older drivers that just do not play well with the newer tech. You can fight with the old, slow, adapter OR just do a little research and see if you can find a USB adapter that does play well with the newer tech and move on.