Question

Connecting External Hard Drive T-Mobile Router network cable Cat-5

• 12 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Just received the T-Mobile Home router, Plugged into the SMART house network panel and all TV’s (x5) in the house are connected via Cat/6 cable network, they work fine. However, the WD External Hard Drive (also connected via Cat/6) does not appear anywhere, it worked fine with the other service provider router?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I think you may have the hard drive plugged into the wrong port. I want to stress that I don't use an external drive on my LAN, but based on what I know about networking and the T-Mobile gateway, I think the drive has to be connected to the gateway via USB-c and not Ethernet. I think the Ethernet on the gateway is for connecting a switch or router in Access Point Mode.

This is from the manual for the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway, which is what I assume you’ve been given by T-Mobile:

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

Is your WD Network drive set up for DHCP or a static IP? Most TVs default to DHCP. If the WD Network drive is static you need to re set it to a compatible IP and subnet for the T-Mobile gateway.  I think the 3rd octet for the T-Mobile subnet is 20 (as in 192.168.20.1) 

bocaboy2591 May have missed that you stated the WD Drive was connected to your old network via a CAT6 cable (Ethernet LAN) so it must be a network drive rather than a USB drive. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

The default IP address of the TMHI gateways is 192.168.12.1. When setting up a static address, I first set the device up as DHCP, find out the address the gateway assigned it, then reconfigure the device to use that as a static address.

Hope this helps. Good luck.