Solved

Data speeds dropped to below 1 Mps. Am I being throttled?

• 15 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi everyone,

Since Tuesday of this week, I have been experiencing a steep drop in data speeds. I have typically been able to get between 60-80 Mbps reliably. Over the past few days, my download speed is topping out at around 5 Mbps, and that’s right after a modem reboot. Eventually it drops to around 0.6 Mbps. Nothing has changed with the modem placement, no new devices on my network. It’s just suddenly very very slow. Multiple reboots, unplugging and plugging back in, all the usual suspects don’t work. I have the original Nokia modem if that makes a difference, but it hasn’t had any trouble for a long time. Here’s my signal info (I don’t check this much, so I don’t know if any of this is bad or good - the bars are the same as usual):

I read recently that T-Mobile is going to start throttling heavy users. I checked my usage and I used about 735 GB of data in January. Is that enough to get me throttled? So far in February, I’m at 306 GB used. I’m not sure what the cutoff for “too much” data is, or what period of time is measured when deciding to throttle or not. I work from home, so I need to figure out if I use too much data to stay with T-Mobile. If anyone knows what the throttling threshold is, I’d appreciate it!

icon

Best answer by HildaPoof 21 February 2024, 17:16

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I don’t think you’re being throttled.  I read that the throttling will start after 1.2 TB in a month (I assume that would be your billing cycle), and only for new users who started service after January 18.

I don’t know what could have caused your speed to drop off like that.  Have you called in and asked for technical support?

Badge

I don’t know what could have caused your speed to drop off like that.  Have you called in and asked for technical support?

I called the first day, was given the usual script that everyone gets - try rebooting the modem, oh they’re working on towers in your area, will be better tomorrow, blah blah blah. The stuff they say to get you off the phone as fast as possible.

I also have the same problem and it has been going on for about a week. I am wondering if you might be in the same area?

I have been on the phone with T-mobile tech support 3 times. They say there is something that 2 companies are trying to fix on the nearest cell tower and they are both saying it is the other guy’s problem.

My actual signal is very good and I am able to use my phone, email, web pages, streaming, but the download and upload speeds are in the single digits--sometimes 1-2Mbps. I cannot download anything on my computer--like updates for example.

I am getting tired of waiting for it to go back to normal. My usual speeds are between 300Mbps to over 600. I am very close to that cell tower.

Badge

Just to close the loop on this, maybe this time the “we’re working on the towers” wasn’t just a line. As of last night, I’m getting 120 down/20 up pretty consistently. So whatever happened took a week, but it’s now better than it’s ever been. We’ll see if it lasts!

Similar problem during same timeframe. I even disconnected WiFi and got better connection with cell signal. That doesn’t help with my streaming systems using WiFi though. 

Wondered if it was connected somehow to the recent outages with AT&T and others?

I have had the same issue for few days. I used to have a quite consistent 300mbps speed, but I now get about 120mbps max during the day and down to 5mbps in the evening. Not enough to stream a 4k movie on Netflix...

It seems that my router (KVD21) got a new firmware (1.00.21) at about the same time the issue appeared. 🤔

I’ve got the same router