Question

Device returned in July only just now recieving information they did not recieve it.

• 1 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello,

This is a series of questions as well as a conversation to have on record.

On November 22, 2022 I recieved a text message that I was being charged $370.00 for a home internet device non-return fee.

I spoke with a representative over the phone immediately as I had no clue what this charge was. I also checked in a store and was told that this charge was from a device non-return fee for the home internet. However, I had returned the device within the 20 days back in July and had never recieved a text, email or statement until this point that the device had not been recieved.

The Rep agreed that it was bizaree I hadn't recieved any kind of notice and no matter how many times we both put in the tracking number we just recieved an error. I checked my emails, texts, etc. Nothing else. After filing a form for this situation to be investigated with the phone rep I was told I would have to wait 5-10 business days (plus holidays which is fair) and I agreed. 

Once the call ended I did some research trying to figure out anything. I called UPS (where the return label was meant for), The UPS store's box I had dropped it off at, USPS, and the local post office. Come to find out the UPS stores drop off box was actually a USPS drop box and so the device had been put through their system but I was told if USPS or the local post get anything from UPS they immediately return it. Which could explain the delay. Also that after 120 days UPS no longer keeps track of tracking numbers and after 60 days you cannot file a claim which would explain the error.

Finally, I dialed the UPS 1888 number which is an automated machine it's customers use to track boxes and it actually gave me a date, time, and place. I checked the label and it was delivered to the warehouse on November 15th. I quickly called back and explained everything to another rep and she made note of it for me but said since the form had already been filed I would still have to wait for the follow up on November 30th. Which I agreed to since it was still within the 15 day return window the text had given me and my bill wouldn't be due until December 18th.

Come the 30th I recieved my call and was told the that the search came up inconclusive so the situation was out of their hands. The rep worked very hard to try and give me a solution and explained since I did have that phone call saying it was returned to the warehouse that my account should be updated and that we could remove autopay from my account that way I am not charged. Our call was cut short due to service issues (I was traveling to work and that in-between point is just spotty) but the autopay was removed.

I called just a short-time ago today and spoke with a third rep. I explained the situation and was set up with another follow up for the 15th of December, a collections hold on the charge (since the $370 [$390 after taxes] hit my tmobile account on the 28th), and with this hold I have until the 20th of December for the warehouse to update the status of the device. I was informed that the warehouse is backed up at the moment and they are still working on returned devices since September. 

After this long situation here are my questions:

Why was I not informed the device had not been recieved within the 20-30day return window?

Why was I charged nearly four months later?

Why was I only charged 7 days after the ups system reported the device had been delivered on November 15th?

Why did the charge still hit my account despite the warehouse being backed up since September and how was the team unable to at least locate the device in the system?

Why am I still being held responsible for this charge when I cannot recieve at least a ballpark estimate for when the warehouse can locate this device when it has been at the property since November 15th, and was returned with a return shipping label since July 17th? And IF the device is not found within the window between now and December 20th I will be held responsible for the charge and will have to pay the $390 dollar bill. 

All phone representatives were very kind and did their best to help me and I know a lot of these questions are above them to answer yet I was given no opportunities to try and discuss this with a supervisor, etc. Which is very frustrating when you are dealing with this much money and an assured fact the device was returned with evidence, a tracking number, emails, calls, dates, etc. The minute I was aware of that charge I called.

I'm an independent college student, working part time, financially supporting myself and have not recieved any kind of outside financial support since I was 16. I don't have $390 to give up over something that I know for a fact was returned and really just need any level of reassurance that this device will be found. 

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think you should email and call the CEO Mike Slievert

What is the email address for the CEO of T-Mobile?

Mike Sievert on Twitter: "@irodriguezseda @TMobile Hi! You can email me at mike.sievert@t-mobile.com" / Twitter

Call the main line for T-Mobile's Executive Offices at (425) 378-4000

I  got this off a google search. Don’t sit and wait, I  don’t think Mike will call you but someone will.

I had the same thing happen to me, I was told that I could not get the free phone if I did not take the Internet devise and try it. I already had high speed internet and needless to say this new unit did not compare. I tried to return it to the store but was told that I have to call the return number and after being on the phone for almost three hours I got the return info emailed to me. It was shipped back within three days of getting the devise and the continued to bill me for the usage. I finally got that removed by sending all the return paperwork to them.

Now six months later and after the UPS tracking is not available, I get a bill for $395.90. I went to the sales office where I got the unit and they said they could so nothing that I would have to call and try to work it out with them.

I plan to send emails to all the T Mobile executives. Thanks to Bock 57 for that info.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Curious, when I returned an item, the existing line still showed on my account until they process the return.  Was your Home Internet line showing this whole time? TMO really should allow in-store returns otherwise just be ‘online only’ and lose customers.

As a future advice, make sure you go to a UPS store so you get a receipt and do not use a drop box.  Also, you could track the shipment while in transit.  I always get nervous when items are in transit.  You never know what would happen in between.

I want to thank Bock57 for the information

I sent an email at 5pm and at 8pm I got a call saying that “in reference to the email they had checked and the unit had been received and they were issuing the credit to my account along with the $50 for the monthly charge not previously credited.

Badge

The same thing happened to me with the home Internet, free trial. I return device and wasn’t notified that T mobile never received it until six months after I returned it via UPS. T-Mobile will not budge and are persistent that I will have to pay this bill. I will not pay this bill and if I have to take it through litigation, I will I just filed a complaint with the BBB and the FCC so congratulations T-Mobile. Not only did you within two years have your systems hacked affecting millions of customers. You have also affected customers at a personal level. And because of the situation, my parents, my brother, my sister-in-law and I have all canceled our plans over one device. I’m not a businessman, but I can assuredly comment that this is not how you run a business. Keep it up T-Mobile, and you’re obviously more interested in losing business, then gaining business so I would love to see next year‘s quarterly earnings. PS your customer service representatives are the most inconsiderate, rude and unprofessional individuals for a company that I have ever dealt with I was the only person in this situation who are bided by all contract  and terms of agreement yet I’m the one that stuck with the $500 bill and so farewell T-Mobile. I will gladly take my business to any of your other competitors.

Badge

Curious, when I returned an item, the existing line still showed on my account until they process the return.  Was your Home Internet line showing this whole time? TMO really should allow in-store returns otherwise just be ‘online only’ and lose customers.

As a future advice, make sure you go to a UPS store so you get a receipt and do not use a drop box.  Also, you could track the shipment while in transit.  I always get nervous when items are in transit.  You never know what would happen in between.

normally i would do that but i live in a town of 900 people and the nearest UPS store is 2 hours away. Our local pharmacy offers ups pick ups and I’ve utilized their service countless times without issue

Badge

We returned ours to an actual T-Mobile store, so I would highly suggest anyone if you plan on returning it, do so at a store and they will gladly take it off your hands. :)

Vodou, I returned mine to the T-mobile store and they scanned it and everything, gave me a receipt, and sent me a bill for $395.90.

Sounds like they really have their business figured out. 👍