Question

Downgrade to WPA2

• 21 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

How do I downgrade to WPA2.  I am not tech savvy.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you need to change the WPA2 authentication type to WPA you need to use the T-Mobile home internet mobile application. The one you used to setup the gateway. If you are connecting a printer or some other device on the 2.4 GHz band you can do so on that band alone. It probably is WPA2 - WPA3 by default. Once logged in as admin you can select the 2.4 GHz band and change the authentication type to WPA - WPA2 and save or apply that change. Once that is done clients will be able to use WPA or WPA 2 to join that frequency. If you just want to add an additional SSID, network name, to the 2.4 GHz and leave the original settings you can do that by using the + symbol at that 2.4GHz radio channel. 

1. login to the mobile app as “admin”
  2. select “Network” from the bottom bar of the app
  3. select the “Frequency band: 2.4 GHz
  4. change the authentication type to WPA/WPA2
  5. Save
Badge

Thank you, I can’t wait to try it.  If it doesn’t work I will probably have to give up the internet.  I will let you know how it goes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you have to get T-Mobile support on the phone and see if they and walk you through it. If you have an Android phone the mobile application works pretty decent. I have an iPhone and it just does not like to work on an iPhone. I was going to try to make you a couple of screen clips so you can see what to expect but the application is not willing to play right now. It can be a bit flakey on an iPhone it seems.

Badge

Thanks, I will do that if need be.  Unfortunately, I do have an iphone.

Badge

I would love screen shots if you could!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you can’t figure it out take it to a T-Mobile store and request assistance. If you cannot get the iPhone home internet mobile application to work BE SURE TO SHOW THEM that. I am sure they know it is a problem but I have not seen any indication they are doing anything about it.

If you have an Android tablet you might be able to load the application on that from the application store.

I use an old Pixel phone from time to time but the battery is dead, again. It is old so that is about all it is good for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The T-Mobile mobile home internet application is used to set up the gateway.

The Application Avatar is like this. The one with the T only is for account info.

The actual “Home” page for the application is as below: 

There is a “Lets get you connected overlay for login or “setup” prior to this screen.

To manage the gateway you have to login as admin. When your are logged in you can see the actual home page with the options at the bottom. The Network option allows you to proceed to make the changes to the network bands/frequencies. I don’t have a screen clip of that but it shows the 2.4 GHz and the two 5 GHz bands. Selecting the 2.4 GHz would allow the options to change the authentication type. After the change it is necessary to “apply or save” the change.

Not too many steps but if you have issues with the application it can be difficult to get this done. These are images from T-Mobile pages and clearly done with an Android phone as the camera at the top is clearly not an Apple notch. 

Badge

Hi iTinkeralot, thanks for all the help you gave me.  I am finally connected and it is doing great so far.  Hope to not have any problems going forward.

Again, Thank you