Question

Dropping WiFi calls when using T-Mobile Nokia 5G21 Gateway

Badge

I have used this gateway for about 6 months and generally it has been very good for all internet needs including streaming video, Skype, Zoom, general surfing etc.  Just recently, however, it has started dropping Wi-Fi calls (we use this a lot as the cellular signal in parts of the house are not good).  The call begins fine but after about a minute the other party can no longer hear me, I can hear them, switching off Wi-Fi on the phone immediately corrects the problem.  The phones in use are both Android and iPhone, same issue with both.  The Gateway is connected to a home network and router, the issue occurs regardless of whether you are logged in directly to the T Mobile Gateway or the remote router.

20 replies

I started having the same problem about a month ago. Does not matter what mobile phone (android or several iPhones) it affects all. Calls drop after about 1 minute and cannot call back until I disconnect from wi-fi calling. 

This is very frustrating, especially when wrking from home. We cannot rely on normal lenght phone calls when our phones are using wi-fi calling. Al is good when on the Tmobile cell network….We have the Arcadyan KVD21 modem plugged in to a Netgear Orbi. If I switch our home internet to ATT DSL all works fine...

Please help!

Badge

Glad it’s not just me.  T Mobile please chime in here.

I doubt that we will hear from Tmobile. Was hoping that someone had figured it out and shared info.

My company switched to TMobile as a phone carrier.   I was intrigued by the possibility of TMobile internet so I switched my home internet from Cox about three months ago.   After some troubleshooting it works great using the new orbi mesh I installed for everything (streaming TV, virtual meetings, etc) except wifi calling and alexa based video calls.    When I connect to the tower directly using my Hotspot and not home internet it works perfectly.   When connected to the orbi network or directly to the home internet gateway the call drops randomly.    I have pushed all new firmware for orbi and the gateway.   I have done the 30 min reset on the gateway.   I have bought new alexa devices.    I am out of ideas.   Obviously it is a tmobile home internet gateway issue.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.   

Badge

I use a home network of my own design as well, for three floor WiFi access, calls drop regardless of whether I am on the T Mobile device directly or on the network.  I have had no issues with Zoom or other video applications, just WiFi calls.

I just got the new gateway from T-Mobile to try it out. The internet speed is great and even faster than my spectrum 300 Mbps. We notice a lot of drop calls and realize that wifi calling doesn’t work with the T-Mobile Gateway. Switch back to another wifi network which still connected to Spectrum internet and the wifi calling is back and working great. We want to ditch Spectrum but now we can’t stay on the phone without drop calls. Hope there will be a solution or update from T-Mobile soon. BTW, the Cell Booster doesn’t work either when connect to T-Mobile Gateway. :(

This issue has started happening for me too. I used to be able to use wifi calling on the T-mobile home internet, but recent my calls have started dropping. In many cases wifi calling can not even connect. I have tried connecting directly to the gateway and still have the same issue. I move my internet over to starlink and wifi calling is working again. Unfortunately starlink is over twice the price of T-mobile, but everything works. 

Badge

This is clearly the result of something T Mobile has changed, really frustrating.

I use Starlink as well, but 135/mo the RV plan is pricey. 

Yup. Same here. About two months back it started happening. I figured it was a firmware “update”. All was fine for the 1st 3 months or so.

I use Google Voice, Phone Power, and Ooma. They all drop so as the person I call can’t here me.

Badge

I use OOMA, Zoom, etc., with no issues, in my case it’s Wi-Fi calling alone.

T-Mobile, what is going on?!

Same issue, i have an company issued AT&T iphone and i get dropped calls or failed to dial because my AT&T service so bad at my house. 

+1, this recently started happening within the last month or two. Also affects my work video chat app on my phone - BlueJeans. Drops every few minutes and the other people can’t hear me. Would love to find a workaround for wifi calling and now the video chat drops. All that worked flawlessly for months prior.

I just got off the phone with Tech Support. She had not heard of this issue. I pointed to this thread.

I figure the newest firmware update (0324) is the culprit. That was 3 months ago.

I then asked that they push the previous firmware to me and she stated she cold not for that. She then opened a trouble ticket. She stated that she would call me next Tuesday with any info.

I told her that I have three of these units (2 Nokia, 1 Arcadyan), and that I will have to return all three if this is not resolved quickly. The business line (Nokia) is the most important.

Badge

That’s great, please let us know the outcome She may not have heard about it, but T Mobile must know.

Oh, I'm sure that they are aware. I have three units and I must have good phone calls. If not I’ll have to cancel all three, which I don’t want to. This began right around the last firmware release, # 0324. about three months ago. Coincidence? I think not. I will report back next week when they contact me again.

Badge

Agreed, there’s no way they don’t know about this.  Which begs the question, is it intentional, to reduce band width usage?

Interesting. I have an Arcadyan KVD21 at my 2nd home and tried from there for the first time and the call was fine. I spoke to a friend for 5 minutes and there were no problems. The unit has different firmware, etc. from the Nokia (I have two Nokia’s).

I saw that ratimux also has an Arcadyan KVD21 and has troubles with it. Beats me.

I’m quite sure it was the last firmware update (0324) that caused this though, at least in the Nokia’s.

T-Mobile is supposed to get back to me Tuesday. I will keep this thread updated.

Curious if there’s been any word back from T-mobile on this one? Not sure if something was possibly done on the network side as today was the first day I tested wifi calling again and didn’t drop for 15 minutes (previously wouldn’t make it past 5 minutes without my audio dropping). Anyone else see any improvements recently?

I meant to get back to this thread on Monday. T-Mobile reached out to me on Monday and stated that they ARE aware of the issue and have several tickets open. They stated that they are working on the issue, at least in my area.

That said, I have not had the problem this week in my three locations. Phone calls seem to be fine now.

One other note: The last F/W update changed the WiFi security setting to WPA2/ WPA3 where mine had been set to WPA/ WPA2. I set it back to WPA/ WPA2 and that’s when calls started working properly again. Coincidence? I don’t know. The tech I spoke to could not answer that question. If you are still having a problem you might try doing that.

I think the WPA thing is a coincidence. I haven’t experienced a dropped called in a couple days, and seeing that you haven’t either tells me they did something on the network side of things. Hopefully the fix is for good.