Question

dual 5g internet use

Badge

I have access to T Mobile’s 5g home internet (which I use) and am considering adding Verizon 5g home internet. Will they interfere with each other when being used simultaneously? I assume I would have to set one up using 2.4ghz and the other at 5ghz in hopes of eliminating any interference issues. But I’m sure there’s something more to consider. Thank you!

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@TSully I am a T-Mobile user and am not sure why you would want to add a Verizon gateway. Do you want better coverage in your house/workplace? If you want better coverage you would be better off adding a wifi mesh system. You would use one gateway that is plugged into your mesh system, and the devices would connect to the mesh wifi. I am using the Netger MR60 mesh wifi and get over 100Mbps all over both floors of my home. 

Yes, both systems (T-Mobile and Verizon) will step on each other; the 2.4 and 5Ghz broadcasts will step on each other. 

Here is an article that discusses the issues: https://smarterhomeguide.com/setting-up-2-wifi-networks-in-one-house/

I hope this helps!

Badge

COPZ1998……. I’m thankful for your input. I’m currently using two T Mobile 5g internet devices. One is placed in a location about 12 feet from the other. Separated by a floor. One is set on the 2.4ghz and the other is set on the 5ghz. I did seem to have issues when I first set up the internet boxes and they were on the same wi-fi bands. I have half my stuff set to one box and the other half set to the other box. So far both seem to work, albeit some occasional quirks, and I’ve been doing this for about 6 or 7 months. I’m very aware of potential issues arising from tower signal degrading in the springtime when the leaves bloom on the trees. I’m trying to prepare and/or prevent that issue from happening again. I’ve gone to the extreme of removing trees to help clear a path for the signal. Hence the potential use of a Verizon 5g internet box.
The Verizon signal comes from a different tower than the T Mobile signal.

So I already am aware two T Mobile 5g internet boxes will work. 
What I don’t know is if the T Mobile 5g internet and the Verizon 5g internet will interfere with each other. Your provided link above didn’t address my specific concern or I didn’t recognize that it did when I read the article. 

Thanks again!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@TSully, I'm surprised you could get what you've described to work. By splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, you probably worked around the problem of having DHCP on two different devices.  Duplicate DHCP servers will cause havoc on your network, and unless you can stop the Verizon box from also serving up IP addresses, you'll have problems. In addition, unless you can configure the Verizon box to be in the same IP range that the T-Mobile devices are assigned (192.168.12.x) you will also introduce problems into your network.

I would think a simpler and less expensive setup would be to move the T-Mobile gateway upstairs to the best location you can find, then use network extenders to cover the areas of your house that need coverage. I also like @copz1998’s suggestion of a mesh network. I use one Netgear N300 in a part of my house that is a bit of a dead zone, and it works perfectly. Any WiFi extender will work, and you can use more than one, if necessary. As an ex-network exec, that would be the architecture I'd choose rather than what you're proposing.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Badge

Bobcat2591…..

I’m using two boxes because of a bandwidth concern. So far reliable enough and only $60 p/month for both boxes. I’m also very limited where I have an acceptable signal. The current box locations are the only locations with at least a “good” signal. This spring and summer after the leaves are in full bloomwill prove if the signal will continue to be strong enough for usability. I have considered a signal booster, not a wifi booster. I don’t completely understand the concept though and that may be the most feasible option if signal boosters actually work. My only internet options are either T Mobile or Verizon. 
Thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I could easily be wrong here, but I think Bocaboy is thinking you are plugging your Verizon router into the TM one.  But my read is you just have two separate systems.  I don’t see anything wrong with that, but it would be helpful is if you could do channel assignments on the two routers so they are not broadcasting on the same channels.  I don’t have access to my TM app right now, but I don’t think you can assign channels on it.  If the Verizon system lets you assign channels, that would be helpful, as you could pick ones not being used by the TM router.

It may also be helpful to set the two systems to have different SSIDs so you know what you are connecting to

Badge

Rogracer2000

Correct. I have 2 separate T-Mobile internet boxes. One is set as T-Mobile 1 and the other T-Mobile 2. One is set to 2.4ghz the other is 5ghz. You are correct in that I cannot assign channels to either T-Mobile box. I don’t think that option is available on the Verizon box either. Sometimes I think the two T-Mobile boxes “step on” each other. The only way I can determine that is from a speed test. Sometimes one box has a considerable better speed test vs the other and vice verse. 
Thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You can run an app like “WiFIAnalyzer” and see all the channel assignments and SSIDs being used by the routers.   By the way, even if the routers are broadcasting on the same channels, it isn’t the end of the world.  I believe they “cooperatively share” the channel when that happens. If there is a demand on only one router at the time, then it shouldn’t really matter.   I’ve read that this is actually preferable to being on adjacent channel numbers, where you can get destructive interference.  If you assign channels manually, they should be kept pretty far apart to avoid this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Rogracer2000

Correct. I have 2 separate T-Mobile internet boxes. One is set as T-Mobile 1 and the other T-Mobile 2. One is set to 2.4ghz the other is 5ghz. You are correct in that I cannot assign channels to either T-Mobile box. I don’t think that option is available on the Verizon box either. Sometimes I think the two T-Mobile boxes “step on” each other. The only way I can determine that is from a speed test. Sometimes one box has a considerable better speed test vs the other and vice verse. 
Thank you

@TSully please let us know how this is working. I see where you are going and it does make technical sense to me. TM-1 broadcasts on 2.4GHz and TM-2 broadcasts on 5Ghz, both on separate floors of your home. I agree with you that T-Mobile does not allow for you to ‘change channels” for each band (I was unable to find a way to do it). In my humble opinion, the T-Mobile gateways are designed to be “plug-play” for the majority of users, and not for folks like us who like to tinker :)

I am interested in you Speedtest results. Can you post them here? 

Thanks for sharing!

Badge

Here’s some speed results. I haven’t noted which box is which in the results as I can’t remember. 

Badge

COPZ1998…

I do remember this though.

The first speed test was this morning on box number 1..

The second speed test on the list was box number 2 last night. 
I did a speed test immediately on box 2 after seeing the low numbers on box 1 this morning but I didn’t let it finish so the test didn’t document albeit box 2 was bumping around 180 down. 

Badge

I do believe that my speeds are reduced periodically depending on cell congestion. If I remember correctly the 5g home internet takes a back seat regarding speed and prioritizing to non 5g home internet users on the same tower. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I could easily be wrong here, but I think Bocaboy is thinking you are plugging your Verizon router into the TM one.  But my read is you just have two separate systems.  I don’t see anything wrong with that, but it would be helpful is if you could do channel assignments on the two routers so they are not broadcasting on the same channels.  I don’t have access to my TM app right now, but I don’t think you can assign channels on it.  If the Verizon system lets you assign channels, that would be helpful, as you could pick ones not being used by the TM router.

It may also be helpful to set the two systems to have different SSIDs so you know what you are connecting to

@Rogracer2000 Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking about him plugging the Verizon gateway into the T-Mobile device. I don't know if the Verizon device is any more configurable than T-Mobile, but two DHCP servers (actually three since he has two T-Mobile gateways) is just not a good design. Yes, I think it will work if he names his networks correctly. I just think a WiFi extender is a better idea. At least it works for me, hence my bias towards using it.

Badge

Don’t forget my main reason for using two separate T-Mobile internet box’s is for additional bandwidth. That’s the only reason for using two of them. My concern is if this summer when the leaves bloom out on the trees my T-Mobile signal may degrade to unusable and am considering a Verizon 5g box if no interference is present between the T Mobile box and the Verizon box. The signal for the Verizon box comes from a different tower. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@TSully I recall years ago configuring two Ethernet ports on my Linux NAS server to use network binding (combining 2 internet sources/network cards) for more bandwidth. However, I suspect you are running windows and want more bandwidth on your home network. The following article talks about how to configure it on Windows: https://techcult.com/combine-multiple-internet-connections/

I am unsure if the T-Mobile Home Internet construct will support your idea, but you can try. 

Let us know how it turns out.