Question

gateway keeps dropping internet

• 13 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Having major issues with my gateway and Tmobile has been no help. Multiple times a day the internet completely drops, and the only fix is to reboot the gateway. When I call, I am always told that they are "working on the towers" in my area. This has been going on for around 6 months. 

There is definitely an issue with the gateway itself but for some reason they aren't admitting to it. 

This is my ONLY option for internet, there is no plan B. I need this fixed. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So it is safe to assume you have the Nokia gateway unless you have had it replaced very recently. If you post the internet connection metrics and the information about the cellular network I would be happy to take a look at the information and see what suggestions I could come up with. If you have run any testing with speedtest.net please post data or explain common download speeds and upload speeds and what speedtest.net reports for ping latency and jitter for a given test run. With some data to talk about it might help explain what might be possible. 

Have you been told where the tower is your signals come from? Have you used cellmapper.net to locate towers in the area and see what cell signals are around you and how far away the towers are? With information on what tower your gateway connects to and how far away it is and knowing the signals and signal strength and quality maybe we could make some headway and improve upon the situation. 

Badge

As of 7/14/2022 I started having problems with phone calls using Voice Over Internet Protocol, that were “breaking-up”.  Speed Test was reluctant to even open, and after it did finally open and run, it showed a “whopping” 0.11 Mbps.  I recycled power, a couple of times and got Speed Test download rates of 44 Mbps up to 175 Mbps, both being respectable.  However, after getting the 175 Mbps, the internet once again dropped and I had to recycle the power.  Note, that this same setup had been working fine for several months prior to this.