Question

Help Needed: T-Mobile Internet Connection Issue during Hybrid Remote Learning

• 30 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm a total newbie when it comes to technology, and I'm currently facing a bit of an internet connection problem with T-Mobile Internet while trying to navigate through hybrid remote learning. I could really use some guidance from the experienced members of this community.

Here's what's happening: As a teacher in a hybrid remote learning setup, I've been relying on T-Mobile Internet for my internet connection. However, I've been encountering some frustrating connectivity issues that are making it challenging for me to conduct smooth online classes.

Since we are doing a mix of in-person and online learning, having a stable internet connection is crucial to ensure that my students and I can connect effectively. But I'm not sure how to troubleshoot or resolve the internet connectivity problems I'm facing with T-Mobile Internet.

Can someone please explain how I can address the internet connection issue with T-Mobile Internet during hybrid remote learning? I want to ensure that I can deliver my lessons without any interruptions caused by the internet.

Here are some specific questions I have:

How can I check the status of my T-Mobile Internet connection to identify if there are any issues?
Are there any common troubleshooting steps I can take to resolve internet disruptions with this service provider?
Could there be any potential factors within my home setup that might be affecting the internet performance with T-Mobile Internet?
I apologize if these questions seem too basic, but I'm really trying my best to adapt to this new way of teaching and using technology. Your patient and simple explanations would be a tremendous help to me.

If any of you have experience with T-Mobile Internet or have dealt with similar internet connection issues during hybrid remote learning, I'd be incredibly grateful for your support. Please share your tips, suggestions, or any resources that might assist me in overcoming these internet challenges.

Thank you all so much for your understanding and assistance. I'm looking forward to becoming more tech-savvy with your help!

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@judywatson to your questions:

1. How can I check the status of my T-Mobile Internet connection to identify if there are any issues? Are there any common troubleshooting steps I can take to resolve internet disruptions with this service provider?
    1. Using your T-Mobile Internet app - tap the “More” link at the bottom of the screen > “Advanced cellular metrics” > 5G: look at your RSRQ, RSRP, and SINR metrics - ensure you are on a 5G band - I am on n41. Look at the metrics reference below.
    2. Common troubleshooting steps include a reboot of the gateway and re-setup if necessary. For prevention, I reboot my gateway every 2 weeks in the early morning hours to clear any unwanted data cache and re-establish a new clean tower connection. 
  2. Could there be any potential factors within my home setup that might be affecting the internet performance with T-Mobile Internet? 
    1. Yes. You can use the setup video below to ensure your gateway is in a clear line of sight (best possible) with your cell tower to ensure the highest quality connection. Also, the gateway should be placed as high in the home as possible. I have mine on a top-shelf in an upstairs office room at home. 
  3. Here is a good setup video that is worth viewing: 

I hope this helps. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Running the Speedtest app on my phone (connected to my home’s W-Fi) is a fast indicator of my network performance.  I suggest that you run it several times a day (for a few days) to find out what’s typical for you.  You can try it in various locations throughout your home; perhaps your computer (or gateway) isn’t in the best place.  Also make sure the speeds (both download and upload) are much higher than the minimums recommended by your school and the software provider.  Rebooting the gateway occasionally does help.   

https://www.speedtest.net/apps