Solved

Home internet modem keeps powering down and restarting

• 31 October 2022
  • 61 replies

Show first post

61 replies

I have had a Sagemcom 5G Home Modem for just over a week. For the first week it worked fine. I had it across the room on top of a cabinet with no other electronics in the area. I moved it to other side of the room in the corner with all my A/V equipment and next to my wifi router I am going to use instead of built in router where I cannot change or even see most of the settings. As soon as I did that the Sagemcom 5G Home Modem started randomly restarting and even reset once. Last night I moved Sagemcom 5G Home Modem back across the room and it was fine again. This am I placed Sagemcom 5G Home Modem lower in the same side of room in front of a window and moved my modem over to that side of room but up high on top of a cabinet. Ran an ethernet cable between the Sagemcom 5G Home Modem and my modem. So far so good. Through all of this the indicated signal on the Sagemcom 5G Home Modem has been Very Good.

Could this issue be RF interference?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I have had a Sagemcom 5G Home Modem for just over a week. For the first week it worked fine. I had it across the room on top of a cabinet with no other electronics in the area. I moved it to other side of the room in the corner with all my A/V equipment and next to my wifi router I am going to use instead of built in router where I cannot change or even see most of the settings. As soon as I did that the Sagemcom 5G Home Modem started randomly restarting and even reset once. Last night I moved Sagemcom 5G Home Modem back across the room and it was fine again. This am I placed Sagemcom 5G Home Modem lower in the same side of room in front of a window and moved my modem over to that side of room but up high on top of a cabinet. Ran an ethernet cable between the Sagemcom 5G Home Modem and my modem. So far so good. Through all of this the indicated signal on the Sagemcom 5G Home Modem has been Very Good.

Could this issue be RF interference?

Could be a recent firmware update.

Bad Firmware Update Bricks Over 30k T-Mobile Home Internet Modems

Mine connects and works fine… for awhile… then reboots… not as bad as that update… but reading these comments it looks less like s/w and more like hardware issue of some sort…

We have had our T-Mobile 5G gateway about 2 weeks.  Today I noticed the spontaneous restart for the first time.  We lost network connection and because that was a common occurrence with our previous provider I didn't pay much attention.  A while later I noticed the uptime was about 2 hours when it should have been several days.   I'll keep an eye on it.

There are problems with the app.  It does not show the uptime as near as I can tell.  But if you load the IP address of the gateway in a web browser you can get that information.  Uptime displayed in the app would be helpful.  It would also be nice for the gateway to log events like restarts and other messages then show the log entries in the app.

We'll see how this goes.  Hopefully the event today was an exception and not an indication of things to come. 

Separating modem and my wifi did not help. Returning unit before test drive up.

Topic states solved but I see no solution?  So, I was having the same issue, gateway rebooting on it’s own randomly a few times a day.  Saw another topic and tried this.

If this is happening to you, do you have 2 or more WIFI networks setup?  I did, and here’s what I did.

First one, was TMOBILE-GUEST and the second was TMOBILE-MAIN.

BOTH were setup as Freq Band as Automatic.

Fix was, I changed the GUEST to be 2.4 GHz and MAIN to 5 GHz.

Important things, like my work laptop and TV’s use MAIN and my kids/phones/computers use GUEST.

Not sure if some type if conflict was going on, but since doing this, I have had no problems with rebooting or loosing any connections.

Yes, I have always adjusted the channels used for both bands on my TP-Link router as auto threshold to change channels must be pretty high letting it sit in fairly congested channels. I moved them away from T-Mobile modem/router I determined from an app on my phones/tablets and turned off one band as well. Of course, cannot access wifi band channel settings in T-Mobile modem/router. I moved the T-MObile device back across the room at least 12’ from all electronics. Once it started rebooting issue it did not seem to matter much.

Hi my name is Scooter 2014

they've had a lot of troubles with the software on the newest unit it may need to be updated I would call 611 which is the hotline to get a hold of T-Mobile technical home internet cell phone SIM cards whatever kind of problems you're having they can get you the right department just think about it before you call but automated system ask for home internet if that's the problem you're having with rebooting it sounds like that's more likely just change out the unit and hopefully get one that's got the newer software in it the newer unit is called the Arcadia I think I said that right something close to that but they'll know on the phone they've had lots of troubles with the software problem it may be solved but sounds like it's not

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

So, we had the Tmobile modem(the 5g tower... black box) for a few weeks now... worked great at first but now it continues  to shut down every few minutes and restart. If it does it long enough I have to completely redo the setup on the app. Has anyone ever had this happen?

It’s NOT the gateway, the power supply, lack of a fan, or any of the other bad advice being given.  TMHI has a systemwide issue that started 2 days ago and support does NOT recognize that there is a problem.  Read here and on reddit and you will see that users are trying to get TMO to fix this.

I am using T-Mobile home internet from almost an year. From past week I am seeing frequent restart of Router causing interruptions in my work. Called CC and visited near by T-Mobile store and change the router. New router worked fine for couple of hours and then re-started again and this is continuing whole day for every couple of minutes. I need to visit the store again to see if they can fix the issue. Lot of inconvenience due to frequent disconnects.

I've recently been having these issues as well & only had the black box for a month. I'm going to attempt to return it & get a new one. Hopefully I can & actually have it work properly. I've been pretty displeased with the quality of the box & service on the box so far.

Experiencing the same issue with random cut off and powering back up. I have the ark kvd21 black. Every other hour. Very inconvenient

I just traded the Nok 5g21 gray in for this but had less problems from the gray.

Mine restarts daily, and has since we got the service a couple months ago.  Tmobile just sent a replacement 5g home internet router, but no replacement power adapter, and it’s still doing it daily.  I highly doubt it’s the power adapter since it’s consistently once daily.  I’d say in my case this is more of a tmobile network issue than anything, and judging on the reports it’s been affecting a lot of their customers, but rather than dig into the issue, it’s simpler, but not cost effective, for them to just keep swapping out used equipment to all their customers.  I may just change isp’s and be done with it than fight it.  

I have had my home Internet maybe 3 weeks. Was good was fine. Now it's a freaking nightmare.

I cannot even listen to a song online because it will reboot itself before the song can finish.

So what is that every 3 minutes or so.

I plan on immediately returning it but it started the night before Easter. No where to go no one to call.

This is worse Internet experience of my life and I had dial up. Thanks T-Mumble 

And they are trying to charge me more for some reason.

Bye losers.

Same problems here.  I had mine for months with no problem, fast, no rebooting.  Then a couple of months ago it started rebooting once sometimes twice a day.  Called and got a replacement NOK silver cylinder tower.  It wasn’t too long that the second unit started rebooting.  Then on a day where it rebooted 5 times while I was WFH, the rep said they were working on my tower and that it was a one day maintenance.  Several days later after more rebooting, I called back and the rep said that the maintenance was scheduled for 2 months and would end the next Friday.  Don’t know why one rep said one day and the other said 2 months.  But they also sent me a new power adapter to try.  So I limp along til that Friday, and it was still rebooting.  Got the new plug and installed and after the maintenance is supposedly done, its still rebooting when I look at it wrong.  Yesterday though I worked all day and didn’t notice any rebooting.  I start watching HBO Max and 3 times in 20 minutes it rebooted.  Switched to Netflix and watched an entire movie with no issue.  I only have 2 bars signal strength because I’m 2 miles from the closest tower.  But I have no other option except to pay thousands of dollars to get the cable company to extend to my home.

Um. I’m an electrical engineer. I troubleshoot hardware for a living, at least until recently when I retired.

Brand new T-Mobile Gateway, the tall, square in cross-section one. Started seeing $RANDOM dropouts, once every couple of hours, as soon as the thing was put in use.

On day, happened to be in the office upstairs where the thing was placed, down went the internet. Looked over, screen says, “Powering Up”. There had been no power outages whatsoever. When it came back up, so did the internet.

Four hours later, lather, rinse, repeat. Called T-Mobile support. After the usual five minute wait, talked to a nice service rep.

Se said it was clearly a problem with the gateway. AND that that particular brand (the tall one) was known to have this problem. Drop shipped me a new one on a Friday, got it on this last Monday. Opened the box: Same rough shape (square in cross-section) but shorter than the original. Set it up. No more drop-outs.

Did have to swap the SIM card from the intermittent one to the new one, but that was it, beyond the usual setup follies.

Could be the power brick. But, speaking as a troubleshooter: I’ve seen hardware that does stuff like this. A fair number of reasons. Overtemperature on some device that causes excessive current draw; reset sensor whose voltage thresholds are too high/too low, so it causes a reset; bad parts in manufacturing that short out intermittently; and so on. I note that it took a while before it started doing this in my case, at least four or five hours. Most factories power up their equipment, sometimes in a heat tent, with the intent of detecting early failures. So this looks like a factory escapee: Should have been caught during testing, but worked long enough to ship.

There’s this general idea: One can do a lot of testing when one builds a product. Testing the circuit board, lot testing individual components, testing the assembled board before putting it in the box, testing the complete box after assembly (functional test), and, of course, heat tank testing. If one is getting 99%+ yields at a particular test step and there’s decent fault coverage, it’s often cost-effective to skip some tests and use others. This works if one’s suppliers provide low-fault batches of hardware; one pays more for that, but then gets to skip hiring people and mounting test stations, so it’s an interesting balance for the manufacturing engineer.

But there are pointy-haired bosses who just love skipping testing steps in the interests of low costs.. and this smells of that.

Im actually a network engineer of 10 years ( still in the field) other than the unit being bad/power brick these devices  Ive found have issues in general with tech 4/5 years older. whenever I have issues its because im using my old laptop, if I dont use it or one of my old test pcs its completely fine with my 2023 laptop/desktop/ phone. super odd guessing its something to do with maybe non wifi 6 enabled devices or non 5ghz supported devices

I got the T-Mobile black tower home internet box a week ago and am having the same problem where it restarts multiple times a day.

I wrote a powershell script that uses SpeedTest by Ookla’s command line interface (https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli) to test the connection as well as the download and upload speeds every 2 minutes. Using this script I noticed that before every restart the speeds starting slowing down considerably. This is the exact same thing that happens on some of my Android TV boxes when they start overheating. Which leads me to believe that it is an overheating issue here as well. Even though the tower doesn’t really feel hot, there may be something in the firmware or hardware that considers a very low temperature to be an overheating issue, and triggers a reboot.

At any rate I put a fan right next to the box and since then it restarts far less. It still does restart occasionally, which is not good, but it seems to help a lot.

Hopefully they will come up with a firmware or hardware upgrade that fixes this soon.

Here is a snippet of my script output that shows what I mean.

Date Time DownloadSpeed UploadSpeed PacketsLost Network

2023-04-28 00:34:04  349.39  26.84  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:36:04  413.75  35.93  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:38:04  383.65  32.87  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:40:04  83.70  9.90  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:42:04  49.53  10.37  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:44:04  85.79  7.78  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:46:04  76.48  13.91  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:48:04  0.00  0.00  0                               This is where it was restarting.
2023-04-28 00:50:04  448.74  30.52  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:52:04  410.20  31.71  0  T-Mobile USA
2023-04-28 00:54:04  341.53  33.74  0  T-Mobile USA

I am on my 3rd gateway in less than 2 months.

I am so angry wasting my time going to the T-Mobile store. I have 3 young kids and a 8 month pregnant wife.

Why can't this crap just work. I have never experienced this many problems with anything in my whole life and I'm almost 50!!! 

TMobile please get your sh#t together asap.

One more chance this one fails I am throwing it through the window of my TMobile store.

Badge

We’ve had the same rebooting itself problems for over 2 months. On our 2nd modem, router whatever the hell you call it and they said I should get another one!  Nope, going back to AT&T, this is totally unacceptable!  AT&T offers a big discount on home internet for lower incomes anyway and since we’re retired and meet the lower income level, it’s a no brainer to switch.

Thanks for this thread, I have only had the Sagemcom for less than a week and it suddenly started rebooting itself every 15-30 minutes based on the alerts I was getting off the firewall.  (Just note, I am still running dual WAN between Cable and T-Mobile Home Internet. So that’s why I can still email myself alerts off the firewall.)

I decided to give it a whirl and switch out the stock power adapter to my Anker USB-C (up to 100 watts) adapter I use with my laptops. The stock one says it is 15 watts.  The cycle of rebooting for me stopped.  After a few hours, I switched it over to a leftover Chromebook USB-C wall adapter that is good for 45 watts.  No hiccups or issues after a few more hours that I’ve seen thus far.  

I’ll edit / post an update if anything else comes up, but the recommended solution definitely was worth a try for me. 

This worked for me.  I had another Samsung 45w charger laying around, and used it for the Sage, and it has fixed the reboot issues it was doing!  I am assuming the adapter is not giving enough power for the amount of bandwidth we are demanding on the units.  I’ve seen this before with a portable mifi and this fixed it too.  

Badge

The other problem with t-mobile is if you have Hulu Live.  T-Mobile doesn’t work with it because it uses dynamic IP addresses, you need a static IP for it to work. T-Mobile Hulu Live uses your location by IP address and when T-Mobile changes it with these reboots you lose the Live feature.  Done with T-Mobile internet. 

OK I am using the silver/gray Nokia round router and also was having the same reboot issue.

after some research and after thought about how I set the unit up it realized I may have made a mistake optimizing it for gaming. 

Unit worked fine for months, almost a year. Then I started having the reboots.

Basically I just went back to router set both 2.4 and 5 G local network to Auto channel select to eliminate any conflicts with any local area network devices. and then set both channel transmitting power to 75 %.

Seems to be working.

If the units are overheating reducing transmit power reduces heat generation.

Try it and let me know. I repost if anything changes.

Badge

Left T-mobile internet, which worked great the whole first year we had it. Went to AT&T and now have free interment thanks to the Affordable Connectivity program (ACP) and no issues. 

Badge

Same issue.. modem worked fine for a little over two months. Now restarts every 5 minutes or less disrupting service for about 3 minutes each time.. forget about using any streaming services…. local store (Collierville, TN) told me to kick rocks when I asked if I could exchange the gateway, sim, or power adapter. Said had to deal with corporate for all issues. I contacted support to request a replacement and was told they would call me in some days about sending one out… (why not order it then?)… I googled and saw that support is apparently encouraged to delay customers from calling back to protect the support staffs’ performance stats… so I’m doubtful I’ll be getting a replacement modem.. meantime I’m basically without service.  At this point I’m leaning towards canceling, then signing back up so I can get a fresh modem.. if I have issue with that I’ll dump tmobile phone/internet and take my business elsewhere. It’s nothing personal, I just need a service that works.. and I can’t wait forever to get bad hardware replaced.  

What's really weird is I had the Nokia gateway for two plus years with zero issues besides if network was down. I switched to sagecom 5866 and now have zero issues for over 2 weeks. Was told by tech support Nokia gateway had reboot /firmware issues pending Nokia to push them through. Had to call twice to get gateway replaced at local store cause call center would only send me what I was sending back(Nokia). Cx service call ed store because previous call history to reach out to local store for swap)Got 2 replacement Nokia gateways once it installed new firmware automatically same prob(1-2 hours) Now no issues and 4/5 bars as opposed to 3. Each 3 gateways they offer are better for certain geo locations. Just my experience