Solved

Home internet modem keeps powering down and restarting

• 31 October 2022
  • 61 replies

Badge

So, we had the Tmobile modem(the 5g tower... black box) for a few weeks now... worked great at first but now it continues  to shut down every few minutes and restart. If it does it long enough I have to completely redo the setup on the app. Has anyone ever had this happen?

icon

Best answer by iTinkeralot 7 November 2022, 18:50

View original

61 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have not seen a conversations with that behavior. It sounds like the gateway has a problem or the power adapter for the gateway is failing. If you have only had it a few weeks I would ask to have a replacement. If there is a T-Mobile store close by that also supports the gateways I would contact them and see if they can do a swap out for you. 

Same here.  We just switch over to T-Mobile 5g home internet about 3 weeks ago.  Worked great for the first week.   Then the second week, it dropped connection 3-4 times requiring unplugging and rebooting the gateway.   This week is the worst.   Now it cycles through shutting off then "powering up" about every 15 to 30 minutes.  And last night, I had to do the setup again in the Tmobile internet app.   This is simply not workable.   I'm not sure if this is regional, but I am in Central Arizona area.   

I already tried unplugging for 2 minutes and restarting (Tried this about about 15 times over the last 2 weeks).  I also restarted the modem from the tmobile internet app.  That is when the app no longer recognized my gateway and I had to go through setup again.    

Any fixes?   And please don't tell me it could be Tower upgrades/maintenance.  We need a real fix?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Azzlyn2006 - I am just speculating but try reseating the SIM card. The SIM card holds significant information about the account and services. If the SIM is not making contact in the unit this could cause issues with the tower connection. If it is shutting down and then powering back up maybe it is a faulty gateway or power adapter. Before you do more or it goes down check notifications on the LED display. The Nokia receives notifications via the LED only, which is not ideal, but if the Arcadyan or Sagemcon are similar in this respect or not I do not know. If there are any notifications with error codes that would be something engineering should be able to work with. I do not believe the SIM connection would have any relationship to the unit rebooting. If there is a T-Mobile store that supports the gateways talk to them and see if you can get a replacement. I do not believe that is a tower issue. If a firmware upgrade was pushed to the gateway it might reboot to install it but now if it has an issue with the firmware or an upgrade went sideways that could possibly lead to it being in a bad state rebooting. Either way there is probably little you can do with it.

I’m in the exact same boat. Moved to the country where T-Mobile is the only provider with 5G about a month ago. Worked pretty dang good at first for how rural we are, but now the gateway keeps rebooting every 5 minutes or so maybe less. At this point it spends more time “powering on” than anything else. I work from home so I’m gonna need a fix asap 😫. Hotspot is only gonna get me so far… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If it is rebooting like that it might be the power adapter or the gateway has a problem. Contact support or touch base with a local T-Mobile store to see if you can get a replacement. I would see if they will provide both but try the power adapter on the original gateway before you swap the SIM card out etc… Reduce variables to know if it is only the power adapter. That is if you really want to know. 

I’ve had mine less than two weeks and keeps shutting off and powering up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I suggest to contact support or go to a local T-Mobile store and see if they can provide a replacement. Probably the power adapter. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Same for us. Sagfast gateway worked great for one week, then restarted constantly. I had T-Mobile send me a replacement. Two days with that and so far so good, but I am concerend.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The power adapter is not the problem in my case. I’m using the power adapter from the gateway that I return which restarted all the time. And the replacement gateway of mine is not restarting (YET).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Well, I guess time will tell. It sounds like it could have been the gateway itself. I would hope they are recording the serial numbers of such failures to determine if it was a manufacturing run or just a possible one off issue. There have been a number of reports of this nature which makes me think it may have been a possible batch of components in a build run. I suppose the might just ignore it and continue replacing on failure. A common industry practice. 

Same here. Been through 5 towers in two months. Units keep powering off, rebooting. They say I should have full service at my address. Been having the problem since I started T-mobile internet Sept 10th. Was sent the Gray Tower. Needed a replacement by the 15th. Was sent another Gray Tower. Worked for about two weeks. Was sent another Gray Tower, after being down for a week with no Wi-if, got a couple of days out of that one. Went into the store and they gave me black tower replacement, but set up a new number costing me $45. They said  “yea, nothing but problems with those Gray ones.”  

Went home hopeful but couldn’t even get that black one to stay on for more than a few minutes without it rebooting “powering up”. Went back to store and they powered it up and it did the same rebooting for them. They said I had to wait for a warranty replacement”. So another week without Wi-fi.

Picked it up last night, again hopeful. This one keeps powering off and reset back to original wi-fi name, even tho I have successfully changed it and hooked to it with a personal wi-fi name, and then I am locked out and have to reset to factory settings, and it still “powers up” reboots every minute or two.

So after hours of customer support and driving to the store and trying to have staff get me a working unit….I GIVE UP!!!

Same here. Been through 5 towers in two months. Units keep powering off, rebooting. They say I should have full service at my address. Been having the problem since I started T-mobile internet Sept 10th. Was sent the Gray Tower. Needed a replacement by the 15th. Was sent another Gray Tower. Worked for about two weeks. Was sent another Gray Tower, after being down for a week with no Wi-if, got a couple of days out of that one. Went into the store and they gave me black tower replacement, but set up a new number costing me $45. They said  “yea, nothing but problems with those Gray ones.”  

Went home hopeful but couldn’t even get that black one to stay on for more than a few minutes without it rebooting “powering up”. Went back to store and they powered it up and it did the same rebooting for them. They said I had to wait for a warranty replacement”. So another week without Wi-fi.

Picked it up last night, again hopeful. This one keeps powering off and reset back to original wi-fi name, even tho I have successfully changed it and hooked to it with a personal wi-fi name, and then I am locked out and have to reset to factory settings, and it still “powers up” reboots every minute or two.

So after hours of customer support and driving to the store and trying to have staff get me a working unit….I GIVE UP!!! And by the way, I am in Oregon, so this isn’t a reigonal issue

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

This situation is so sad. When the gateway works, it’s great, but when it doesn’t work it can be very frustrating. My experience with support is that they don’t know how to fix these problems. They will say things like there’s maintenance being done on the tower, even though that is not the problem. The last time I spoke with support I was sent to second level support. That person did know stuff, and he admitted that there’s a problem with the SagFast gateways. They don’t know if it’s a bad batch, or something else. They are not reviewing the returned gateways, but the are keeping track of the returns.

Well I went back to the store to return my 5th unit and since I have been there 5 times in the last week 3 of the 5 workers knew of my horrible experience and related it to the manager on site  that I have been extreme kind and patient when I have come in. He decided that if they have to open up and test every box in inventory, that I was not going to leave without a proven working unit. And guess what, I DID!!!! It has been hooked up at home running Only 2 ½ hours  (beating 3 of it’s predecessors). I hope you are still up and running as well.

I have to say, the staff does their best and are friendly and helpful and provide a great customer service experience, I am sure they are hoping these equipment issues get resolved as well. They don’t make the units. 

Well I went back to the store to return my 5th unit and since I have been there 5 times in the last week 3 of the 5 workers knew of my horrible experience and related it to the manager on site  that I have been extreme kind and patient when I have come in. He decided that if they have to open up and test every box in inventory, that I was not going to leave without a proven working unit. And guess what, I DID!!!! It has been hooked up at home running Only 2 ½ hours  (beating 3 of it’s predecessors). I hope you are still up and running as well.

I have to say, the staff does their best and are friendly and helpful and provide a great customer service experience, I am sure they are hoping these equipment issues get resolved as well. They don’t make the units. 

17 Days Later.. How is his working out?  I am willing to sit at the store and find a good unit if I have a reason to believe there is actually a bad batch and then there are “better ones.”  Thanks!

So, we had the Tmobile modem(the 5g tower... black box) for a few weeks now... worked great at first but now it continues  to shut down every few minutes and restart. If it does it long enough I have to completely redo the setup on the app. Has anyone ever had this happen?

I took mine in to the store and they gave me a new SIM card and it fixed the problem 

Badge

Yes when they work they are great, just received my 3rd one today. Wondering how long before the power cycle starts again

Badge

ok the third one didn't work out of the box. After a sim card switch it worked 3 hours before powering off recycle started again.

Badge

Im thinking it is a manufacturing issue.  U have the 3rd unit coming.  First didnt work after a day, exchanged at the local Tmobile store and it worked for 7-10 days.  China is known to use not spec’ed parts when they run out of the real parts..  Powering Up.  

Thanks for this thread, I have only had the Sagemcom for less than a week and it suddenly started rebooting itself every 15-30 minutes based on the alerts I was getting off the firewall.  (Just note, I am still running dual WAN between Cable and T-Mobile Home Internet. So that’s why I can still email myself alerts off the firewall.)

I decided to give it a whirl and switch out the stock power adapter to my Anker USB-C (up to 100 watts) adapter I use with my laptops. The stock one says it is 15 watts.  The cycle of rebooting for me stopped.  After a few hours, I switched it over to a leftover Chromebook USB-C wall adapter that is good for 45 watts.  No hiccups or issues after a few more hours that I’ve seen thus far.  

I’ll edit / post an update if anything else comes up, but the recommended solution definitely was worth a try for me. 

im also on the same boat. its keep getting rebooted every 30 mins

Thanks for this thread, I have only had the Sagemcom for less than a week and it suddenly started rebooting itself every 15-30 minutes based on the alerts I was getting off the firewall.  (Just note, I am still running dual WAN between Cable and T-Mobile Home Internet. So that’s why I can still email myself alerts off the firewall.)

I decided to give it a whirl and switch out the stock power adapter to my Anker USB-C (up to 100 watts) adapter I use with my laptops. The stock one says it is 15 watts.  The cycle of rebooting for me stopped.  After a few hours, I switched it over to a leftover Chromebook USB-C wall adapter that is good for 45 watts.  No hiccups or issues after a few more hours that I’ve seen thus far.  

I’ll edit / post an update if anything else comes up, but the recommended solution definitely was worth a try for me. 

How has it gone since then? 

How has it gone since then?

Having the same issue here… just started service a little over a week ago and our tower has power cycled numerous times. At first I thought maybe it was doing updates ( odd to do that without any warning or in the middle of the day/evening, but….. )   Anyway…. I’m glad to see that it isn’t just me.  I will be calling or stopping by a store. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Um. I’m an electrical engineer. I troubleshoot hardware for a living, at least until recently when I retired.

Brand new T-Mobile Gateway, the tall, square in cross-section one. Started seeing $RANDOM dropouts, once every couple of hours, as soon as the thing was put in use.

On day, happened to be in the office upstairs where the thing was placed, down went the internet. Looked over, screen says, “Powering Up”. There had been no power outages whatsoever. When it came back up, so did the internet.

Four hours later, lather, rinse, repeat. Called T-Mobile support. After the usual five minute wait, talked to a nice service rep.

Se said it was clearly a problem with the gateway. AND that that particular brand (the tall one) was known to have this problem. Drop shipped me a new one on a Friday, got it on this last Monday. Opened the box: Same rough shape (square in cross-section) but shorter than the original. Set it up. No more drop-outs.

Did have to swap the SIM card from the intermittent one to the new one, but that was it, beyond the usual setup follies.

Could be the power brick. But, speaking as a troubleshooter: I’ve seen hardware that does stuff like this. A fair number of reasons. Overtemperature on some device that causes excessive current draw; reset sensor whose voltage thresholds are too high/too low, so it causes a reset; bad parts in manufacturing that short out intermittently; and so on. I note that it took a while before it started doing this in my case, at least four or five hours. Most factories power up their equipment, sometimes in a heat tent, with the intent of detecting early failures. So this looks like a factory escapee: Should have been caught during testing, but worked long enough to ship.

There’s this general idea: One can do a lot of testing when one builds a product. Testing the circuit board, lot testing individual components, testing the assembled board before putting it in the box, testing the complete box after assembly (functional test), and, of course, heat tank testing. If one is getting 99%+ yields at a particular test step and there’s decent fault coverage, it’s often cost-effective to skip some tests and use others. This works if one’s suppliers provide low-fault batches of hardware; one pays more for that, but then gets to skip hiring people and mounting test stations, so it’s an interesting balance for the manufacturing engineer.

But there are pointy-haired bosses who just love skipping testing steps in the interests of low costs.. and this smells of that.