Home Internet Overheating

Show first post

31 replies

Badge

Thanks for the advice and fan options. I was willing to try anything to be able to keep the T-mobile service, and not go crawling back to my cable internet provider, so I bought the $20 two-fan combo from Amazon and used a stand I got for $2.45 on clearance from Monoprice, that was made to hold an Amazon Echo, but makes a great platform for the Gateway device, and put on fan on top and one on the bottom, with plenty of air space underneath and above.

I did all that on 1/20 and now it’s 2/2, so it’s been nearly two weeks, and I haven’t had any internet outages, or slow-downs as I was having before, so I hope this will continue. I don’t know if it’s the fans, or the “working on the nearby tower” that I was told by customer service that is being completed, but I will take all the help I can get.

Just adding in the same problems many have had. High traffic led to a hot Internet device led to internet drops and massive speed dumps (180mbps to 5mbps). I got the usb fans yesterday and my speeds have remained around 150+ speed all day. all this leaves me to wonder why on earth they produced a device with insufficient venting and no fans to begin with? 

Looks like I’m getting the overheating error WAN005 and another one WAN002. Everyone here fixed the issue with a fan it would appear but I’m confused about my issue. My unit doesn’t feel hot or last more than a 20 or 30 minutes before it kicks off line with an error. I have to remove power and that resolves the error only to have it happen again a few minutes later. I have the new 5g model also, not sure if anyone is still seeing this issue?

I can’t speak to your error messages but I can tell you that my device didn’t feel hot on the outside and the air was warm and not hot. I’ve had the fans for a few weeks and had zero issues with my device slowing down or requiring me to unplug/plug-in the device to resolve. If you’ve got like a small fan you can set the router on for a day or two just to see if it works that would be a worthy troubleshooting option before buying the USB fans several of us have purchased. Good luck!

Overheating problem solved. 2 weeks and no more drops.  (TMobile, please do something about your hardware, though.)

It’s only been a few hours, but I moved the gateway to over an air condition vent and I can feel the difference in the temperature of the gateway. I did a reset with the power button after powering it up from the location move. As of this moment my up load and down loads have doubled. I will keep up dates as how this continues.