Question

Home Internet Service -- I was a skeptic

• 22 December 2022
  • 0 replies

Badge

Here is my set-up:

At the heart of my network is a Ubiquiti USG-3P router. It has (3) Ethernet ports, not including the console port.

“LAN1” is connected to a cascade of dumb Ethernet switches throughout the house, from which hang computers, printers, a T-Mobile 4G LTE Personal CellSpot and several WiFi access points set to BRIDGE mode. This all means any wired or wireless device pulls an address from the pool supplied by the USG-3P router.

“WAN1” is connected to the cable company’s modem/router/WiFi access point device also set to BRIDGE with the radios turned OFF. It functions solely as a modem.

“LAN2/WAN2” is configured as “WAN2” and is connected to the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway with an Ethernet cable. In my case it’s the Arcadyan KVD21.

I have the router set to “load balance” but it could just as easily be set to have either of the WAN ports “failover” to the other WAN port in the event that service becomes unavailable. The advantage of setting the router to load balance is I get to utilize the bandwidth of both services.

Now, my 400mbps cable service combined with T-Mobile’s HIS topped out a 678mbps in a speed test done 24 hours after installing the Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway.

I have the Arcadyan laying on its side, pointed out a window with line-of-sight to a tower less than a mile away.

My apprehension is the wide variability between tests. Not sure if this a network capacity issue or transient interference or something else. Sometimes the gateway alone delivers a mere 50mbps while the best throughput so far saw it top out at 325mbps. That’s less than 8 cents-per-meg. Not bad, if I could get it all the time.

It would also be nice — T-MOBILE — if I could set the gateway to BRIDGE and turn the WiFi OFF and have it function as a modem, just like the box from the cable company. Indeed, the thoughtful folks at CableLabs included a toggle on the first config screen that enables BRIDGE and turns the radios OFF.

I was somewhat miffed that they made it so easy! :)

As for the service itself, I was a skeptic. The future may indeed be FWA.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!