Question

horrific 5 g hime internet experience - “coverage umbrella”

• 1 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

So - I’ll try to be brief. I’ve had 5g home internet for about 4 months and have had issues between insanely unusable speeds to no internet at all. I’ve filed over 4 service tickets and perpetually told it was my gateway, or a tower under repair - you name it. After a week of no service at all - I just kept escalating my complaint until an agent said that engineers were aware of the “problem” but had “no intention” of fixing it at this time. She said it’s the area I’m in too close to a tower and they call it the “coverage umbrella”. I’m like wait - nobody could tell me this 4 months ago? Meanwhile going into the store watching them sign up people right here in my neighborhood praising the excellent coverage. So that’s I think a situation of consumer fraud I’ll be pursuing and telling the FCC. 

meanwhile here’s me on the weekend unable to do a darn thing now other than sit in Starbucks for the free wifi to try to catch up on work 😩. 

there is no temp fix for this - right? I’m livid. 

im in Knoxville TN if that’s helpful 😡

3 replies

Badge

I’ve had T-Mobile for 8 months with ave if 114 down and 65 up but in the last couple weeks it went to below 20 down and 2-5 up. I was told I needed new sim card after we tried all the scripted solutions over the phone. Got the new sim card and worked for about 4 hours the back to same. Now tech support tells me anything from congestion to I have too many devices using the gateway. As far as congestion, I live in a community of 550 people and only know of about 10 of them to be using T-Mobile. As far as number of devices that has not changed from the date of installation. Tired of script reading techs. Very frustrating and ready to go back to Frontier dsl. Speeds were consistant but prices were astronomical.

Ccross and Jack, after reading your and other’s comments on spurious “quality” ratings for T-Mob Home Internet, and after buying their nicely engineered Inseego “hot spot” which is nothing but a baby home internet point, I am increasingly inclined to call a spade for what it is:  The Inseego device was working okay for 2 or 3 computers, a couple of cell phones and a when I added the Television, although it worked. the real problem became apparent:  It’s T-Mobile management who flat out refused to give me, even when I offered to pay for more than 100MB/month, any more than that 100MB.

The C-suite at T-Mob is making decisions that don’t help their customers. Instead the local T-Mob manager offered to make me pay-off the fraudulent Inseego and get a home internet box which, ahem….,  connects to the same weak-strength T-Mob tower. 

T-Mob has good equipment, but poor management. They’d best get their act together. Locally, I see non-T-Mob companies installing fiber optic delivering 1000Mbps at $49/month. If T-Mob still has  any customers left after competitor’s fiber optic installs, they may be able to compete, but screwing over customers with false claims and mis-representing equipment is not going to end well for them as a marketing entity.

I feel T-Mob screwed me for money. Period. This is an old American story that appears to still be playing in corporate board rooms to make their bottom line look better. T-Mob mangled the take-over of Sprint and now is lusting after more money. In the process, I feel screwed by T-Mob. They could be a fine company if they had fine management. But money trumps brains evidently.

I got the home hotspot device and jumped on the home internet bandwagon when it was super cheap promotion, $25/mo beats my normal charter/xfinity srvice of $88/mo by a landslide. And the 5G service is great, as long as the device would stop automatically restarting every 10-90 minutes. I can only guess this is T-mo's way of micromanaging which cell tower is to get the most traffic at different times but you can't stream a movie, or play online games, without having a 5 minute interruption at seemingly random intervals 7-8 times a night