Question

How do I access advanced routing features of the 5G High-Speed Internet Gateway?

• 19 May 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

My background is in software engineering and I’m currently studying network security.

I would like to have access to advanced features on the Internet Gateway such as DHCP, NAT, Port Forwarding, DMZ, etc.

I usually have to assign a static IP address to my printer to get it to work, among other things.

How do I access the advanced features of the gateway?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Two choices:

1. Wait for TMO to add this in firmware
  2. Get your own router and enable DHCP so you can use all the features, but realize this will be a double NAT configuration.

It will keep a static route for the internal connections like the printer, or you can set your printer to a static IP on the printer itself.  If you need remote access to your router, I think you are SOL, but you can try to find a DMZ setting and see if you can put your new router outside the firewall.  I just make sure to update my routers constantly and never use there stuff for security.  They never do firmware updates.

T-mobile offers a static IP address - it’s $3 more a month - which is a great option that will pretty much cover all options without an extra router.  I think they allow a lot more freedom with that $3 fee, so the advanced settings should be there.  Its a whole different router.  There’s is in essence a locked device.

Badge

“Get your own router” will not fix lack of port forwarding or DMZ features.