Question

How to improve wifi coverage with my Gateway

• 23 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

The Wi-Fi signal strength in the family room from the T Mobile Gateway is much lower than when we were using the Century Link Modem-Router. Our house is brick and probably has old lathe in some parts of it. But the distance between the Gateway and the laptop is not more than about 40 feet, with an almost line of sight between the gateway and laptop via a regular window and patio doors.

I just looked at the Ascus router (Amazon.com: ASUS AC2900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC86U) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, WTFast Game Accelerator, Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Adaptive QoS). It’s only $125 on Amazon.

Would it be necessary to have this router in the family room?

Does this router need to be plugged into the gateway with an ethernet cable? (That I would have to drill holes in floors to route).

5 replies

Most likely you are dealing with power save modes on the gateway and the devices you are using. Were you aware there are no standards for the “bars” for either cellular or Wi-Fi?

Plugging it in would be the best way, but I think the trash can router does support repeater mode if the Asus router is set up as a repeater. I run the Asus router with a cable and set it up as a router (not an access point) this way I can do bandwidth management on devices that stream. 
I should mention the only way to configure the trash can as a WiFi repeater is with a browser in the web gui, you can’t use the app for this. 

Badge

Question if you have a weak signal you buy another router and hook it to your gateway Arcadyan and it will give you stronger signal to game with ? I will buy that Asus router from Amazon if it will boost my signal I have weak all thru my house ?

WiFi signal can be subjective to the materials your house is built with and interference from on close WiFi routers in your neighborhood I know the Nokia gateway has a decent WiFi signal on it, but I don’t know about the Arcadyan.

I’ve been happy with the Asus routers for years now for several reasons from QoS bandwidth management making sure one TV treat doesn’t eat all the speed up but restricting TV streaming device to 20 down. This is enough to still stream 4K with Netflix and make sure others can still use the internet. 
As for the WiFi on the Asus router it covers a 200sq foot 4 bedroom house and most of the property with out any issues. 

Badge

WiFi signal can be subjective to the materials your house is built with and interference from on close WiFi routers in your neighborhood I know the Nokia gateway has a decent WiFi signal on it, but I don’t know about the Arcadyan.

​​​​​My gateway is a Nokia. I don’t live in a neighborhood. The house is about 2000 sq., a 1935 brick potion and a 1975 conventional stick-built family room with cement board siding. The gateway is setting about two feet from a window; when I look out that window I can see the chair that I sit in because there is a set of patio doors looking into the family room.

The signal in the family room is sufficiently weak that streaming video on a Samsung smart TV does not work very effectively, with the TV often failing to see the T Mobile network.