Solved

how to increase 2.4 ghz speed

• 23 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

2.4 band only connects at 0.5 mbps, so useless. how to increase? unplugging and replugging modem/router does nothing. Phone tech help is useless

icon

Best answer by nc1037 23 March 2024, 15:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Are you referring to the WiFi 2.4 GHz, or 5G n41 (2.5GHz) ?

I’d recommend checking the stats on your router first.

Use the T-MObile Home Internet app to check the signal (poor, weak, good, very good, excellent).

Then, check to see what the signal readings are in the ‘More → Advanced Cellular Metrics’ tab for 4G LTE and 5G.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

That happened to me on my old computer.  It struggled with the security level.  I made a dedicated 2.4 GHz network with WPA/WPA2 security.  The computer now downloads at about 30 Mbps which is good enough for it. My older printer is also connected to that network.  Because security is lower than recommended, I made that network hidden.  

My other devices work fine on the default network and my typical download speed is over 400 Mbps.

Having same issues - when I have the T-Mobile device set to automatic frequency I get about a 6Mb dowload.  I change it back to 5Ghz and get upwards of 300Mb - same device, same location proximal to the router.  I can’t connect my smoker, Roomba or garage opener because they don’t operate on a 5Ghz frequency 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You can have more than one Wi-Fi network.  Leave the default network alone.  Add a dedicated 2.4 GHz for those devices that need it, such as your smoker, Roomba, and garage door opener.  You could also have a third network which is dedicated to 5 GHz.  I haven’t needed one myself.

INSTRUCTIONS (which I just posted in another discussion)

You can have several Wi-Fi networks on the gateway.  You want to leave the default network alone (2.4 & 5 GHz; WPA2/WPA3 security) and add a second, dedicated 2.4 GHz network.  

Add the second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app on your phone.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your device to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.  Note that WPA/WPA2 (on the second network) is less secure, so I recommend setting this network to be Hidden.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Main instructions

Help Center | APP Android | T-Mobile Support

Help Center | APP iOS | T-Mobile Support