Solved

i have home internet from Tmobile. is there a way to set my location on the modem.because of this i can only cast my hulu to tv, i cant use roku

Badge

How do you set your location so u can use hulu app on roku

icon

Best answer by syaoran 8 April 2021, 20:07

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Unfortunately, no.  The modems location is based on the tower you are connected to as well as where that connection makes it to the server.  T-Mobile internet is not compatible with Hulu Live TV in most markets because of this. 

I asked this specific question and they said it was fixed. Just got my equipment today and can't log in to Hulu. WTH

Unfortunately T-mobile does not have GPS on its modems. It’s a real pain!  We can’t use half our services and are continuously being disconnected from YouTube TV for being “out of AREA’. WE ARE HOME!

I’m beginning to think going back to AT&T is the only solution. 

I'm having the same problem and I specifically asked that question when I called for info before signing up! I pay $85/month for Hulu and now I can only watch it on my phone. WTH!!! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hulu and other streaming services that use the IP's geolocation data are likely placing you in a different market to what is on your account.

ie: I live in Florence, SC... but sling, hulu, etc. think I am in Charlotte, NC (over a 2 hour drive away).

This happens because the XLAT464/CGNAT sort of tunnel approach they took to deal with IPV4 across their IPV6 only network is sending me to an exchange point in Charlotte.

Basically, it is acting like a VPN, so everything that relies on the IP to determine location gets it wrong.

Go to myip.ms or run the default speedtest.net test and note the area they both detect/assign you. 

Speedtest always picks sites in/around Charlotte by default.  So I always manually pick a different location for my tests, typically the same handful of places that represent where I typically go to get a better picture of actual throughput (mostly where certain games are hosted).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Unfortunately T-mobile does not have GPS on its modems. It’s a real pain!  We can’t use half our services and are continuously being disconnected from YouTube TV for being “out of AREA’. WE ARE HOME!

YouTube TV can have your location set through YouTube website, it tells you how to do that. I kept getting a warning about losing my local channels if I didn’t set my location. I had to do that through each device accessing YouTube TV, 2 Roku and one Apple TV. Since then I haven’t any issues. I’m not sure why Hulu can’t do the same thing. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

lol… modem renewed lease/reset/something (public IP changed), and now everything thinks I am now in Atlanta, GA instead of Charlotte, NC.

Still actually in Florence, SC

This is why it services that rely on IP information to determine your location misbehave on this service.

In all honesty though, I might actually prefer if it stays this way.  This was my primary exchange point when I was with Spectrum… typically caught Level3/CenturyLink as my peer out of that area when Spectrum did not peer more directly with where I was trying to go.  This might actually provide better routes then when I am routed through Charlotte.  Only time will tell.

I am having a similar situation. I am in Kansas City but everytime I do a search online it gives me results for Denver, Colorado. How can this be because of the closest cell tower? There has to be a solution. If there is no solution I'll be taking my business somewhere else.

Switch to youtube tv. You get a discount for a year through T-Mobile. 

And this will solve my problem how?

And this will solve my problem how?

I don’t believe you’re going to get Hulu Live to work with T-Mobile long-term, or it at least looks like a pain. Regular on-demand Hulu works fine. I was suggesting an alternative that I know does work with T-Mobile. 

I am using TMobile internet with Roku and Hulu, live TV on both.  So it is possible. When I changed locations of my tower I did have to reset with Hulu. I just can’t print using internet now. 

My experience with TMobile Home Internet has been beyond horrible.  It’s the same exact issues as many others have; Hulu not connecting with dynamic IP address of TMobile Internet Gateway.  I’ve been on the phone with TMob at least 3 times a week, and yesterday they told me to come into a store to change my acct to a Business acct slash Sole Proprietor, making my Gateway a Static IP address.  Did that, and tonight, no Hulu connection again PLUS, T Mob offered this change at no cost, just the same as before, $50 a month.  Presto, my bill now says $100 a month and I still don’t have the Hulu connection.  Been on the phone, chats. transferred to multiple departments, it’s a joke.  

I understand it’s hard to get anyone to care anymore, but they sure are fast to take my money.  Going back to ATT fiber optic.  Not that anyone there cares either, it’s the world we live in, but at least Hulu will work.

Badge +1

“Going back to ATT fiber optic.”

That is the proper solution.

i wouldn’t last 2 days on Tmobile 5G Internet with these kinds of issues. You should not have to be some kind of tech whiz/troubleshooter to use the service. At this point, after reading countless nightmare scenarios here, I don’t even want to go through the hassle of trying their service or spending weeks on the phone with some kids reading off a script, or beating my head against the wall trying to get this fledgling, unreliable tech to work at my location. Broadband is more expensive but at least for us, it is reliable and basically trouble-free. And issues we may encounter on a rare basis are resolved with a single reboot. YMMV.