Question

inconsistent internet

• 5 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have to unplug the gateway at least twice a week, due to no internet. My speeds are all over the place. When streaming YouTube TV it buffers way more than it should. Is this a common problem with this service?

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Are you moving the gateway or leaving it stationary? Your gateway should lock in the cell tower, so all things being equal your signal should be consistent. I never need to restart mine and I get better speeds in the evening and early morning, with lower speeds in the morning and pm commute times. But, my download speeds are over 60+ Mbps. What are your metrics from your T-Mobile Internet app? (RSRQ, SINR, RSSI)

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

To expand on what copz1998 suggested, did you use the T-Mobile Home Internet app to try and identify the best location for the gateway? Fixed Wireless Internet (FWI) is unlike cable or DSL. Location is very important, and while I agree that frequently rebooting your gateway is unacceptable, the first line of defense is to find the best location for the KVD21. If your problem continues, I'd call Support and tell them you have a bad gateway and have them swap it out. There really is no reason for you to have to reboot the gateway so often. 

If you don't need to hook up an external router or access point to the gateway, check out putting the KVD21 in your attic. Often the signal is better the higher it is in the house. My gateway is in an entertainment center with RF glass. It will only connect via 4G LTE even though the tower Im connecting to has 5G. Like copz1998, I get better speeds in the early morning and evening than during the day. My range is from a low of 35 Mbps to a high of 70 Mbps. That’s more than enough to stream on two TVs simultaneously, support three always-on Macs, iPhones and iPads and a lot of Amazon Echo devices, including security cameras. According to the gateway, I have 3-bars of service and about 40 devices connected, and I never have to reboot the KVD21.

Badge

Thanks for both of your replies. Good information. My gateway sits in the same spot always. My signal is always very good and sometimes excellent. My speeds range from 30 Mbps to well over a 100 Mbps. The times I have to reboot the gateway are when sitting overnight and when I get up I have zero service. I unplug it, sit for a bit and plug it back in. It works fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Widowmaker, that sounds like a device issue. Can you take it back to the local T-Mobile store and ask for an exchange? If you are getting between 30-100 Mbps, then it sounds like there is an internal issue causing a disconnect. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have Arkadyan. I have been on TMI for 2 months next week. The only issues I have had are:

1) two units broke after update to 1.00.18. All access to 5g lost . No matter how many reboots, factory resets or location changes, 5g would never come back.

Also after update,  devices would on wifi would keep dropping off.  I am on my 3rd unit which did not break after the update. 

2) Roku Devices can not connect to 5 ghz band..The Arkadyan evidently doesn't transmit on channel 161 which is needed for Roku. My Brother has the Nokia & Roku devices can connect to 5ghz band on channel 161. The Nokia also lets you modify broadcast channels as well as disable wifi  The Arkadyan is locked down .

3) IP address...my IPV6 was incorrectly stating I was in Puerto Rico & was being served ads in Spanish on YouTube & Google searches would redirect me to Google Puerto Rico in Spanish.  A hard reboot of unit got me an ip address in Los Angeles 

4) My SNR on 5g is always poor yet all other metrics are excellent yet  My speeds on 5g N41 are greater than 600 down & approx 80 up on ethernet!  Much better than Spectrum ultra 500 ($80/mo). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have Arkadyan. I have been on TMI for 2 months next week. The only issues I have had are:

1) two units broke after update to 1.00.18. All access to 5g lost . No matter how many reboots, factory resets or location changes, 5g would never come back.

Also after update,  devices would on wifi would keep dropping off.  I am on my 3rd unit which did not break after the update. 

2) Roku Devices can not connect to 5 ghz band..The Arkadyan evidently doesn't transmit on channel 161 which is needed for Roku. My Brother has the Nokia & Roku devices can connect to 5ghz band on channel 161. The Nokia also lets you modify broadcast channels as well as disable wifi  The Arkadyan is locked down .

3) IP address...my IPV6 was incorrectly stating I was in Puerto Rico & was being served ads in Spanish on YouTube & Google searches would redirect me to Google Puerto Rico in Spanish.  A hard reboot of unit got me an ip address in Los Angeles 

4) My SNR on 5g is always poor yet all other metrics are excellent yet  My speeds on 5g N41 are greater than 600 down & approx 80 up on ethernet!  Much better than Spectrum ultra 500 ($80/mo). 

I am curious how do you know if you have an IPV6 external IP address?  As far as I know, T-Mobile uses IPV4 for external IP address.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

No, only IPV4. The router itself has an IPV6 address in addition to its IPV4.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Both Public Ipv6 & ipv4