Question

Inconsistent speeds

• 24 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

We started using Tmobile home internet a few days ago.  download speeds regularly 25-140mbps.  Then suddenly, speeds dropped to 2mbps down and 2mbps up.  Any ideas what is going on and what we can do to improve our speeds? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It would help to make the call to T-Mobile support and ask if there is work on the equipment in the area. That sounds like they may be working on the equipment. Sure it might be the router but it is just as likely or maybe more so that it is with the equipment on the tower. When operation became unpredictable and unstable here that is what I found out and only by contacting support and asking if they were doing maintenance on the tower. They will know the PCI, physical cell id that your router connects to and can look at service logs. 

If you post the metrics from the primary and secondary internet connections from the 192.168.12.1 web interface then others can see how the signals are and offer more direct suggestions. There are things you can do to improve the performance but knowing how the router is operating and what cellular channels are servicing the router it is hard to provide much help. The cellular home internet solution is a little more effort than just plugging in a hard connected router/modem. With a little extra effort it is possible to improve things.

Badge

Sounds reasonable.  Thanks for the tips! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Suggestions to improve cellular reception:

• Contact support & determine if work/maint is being done on the tower. (external influence)
  • Evaluate the location of the router with respect to the tower. (internal influence)
  • Make sure the router is located at the most optimal location in the home.
  • Determine the location of the cellular tower & distance from the home
  • Evaluate the terrain between the home & cell tower (clear view, trees, hills, buildings etc.. between home and tower)
  • Relocate the router/gateway if possible to a better location in the home.
  • Locate close to a window, with no metal screen

Post specific router information to the community conversation:

• Primary & Secondary internet connection information (RSRP, SNR, RSRQ values)
  • Primary & Secondary cellular network information (PCI, Band, EARFCN/NR-ARFCN values)
  • Router Model & software version in operation (Nokia or Arcadyan)

These are a good starting point. If the router is located in what appears to be the best location then data from the cellular metrics can help understand the operation a bit better. Additional suggestions can be made but starting with the basics is a good move. The data will provide better clues as to how well the cellular signals are and identify the cellular frequencies. With that data and more clarity on where the tower is and how far it is from the home that can help explain operation better. By making changes one step at a time it should help gain clarity and improve the service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Working with the cellular router signals & getting the WIFI both optimal is a challenge in some cases. I have been a T-Mobile home internet customer for 14 months now & I have seen a couple of times where the behavior was somewhat the same. When it was so unpredictable I found the source was with work being done on the tower. The T-Mobile solution in some areas is very new so work on the tower equipment is quite possible. Once it is established I found it to be pretty stable. Weather can also contribute to some negative impact as hard rain impacts the waves so the communication is slower. Distance to the tower will also be a factor in speed expectations. Topology can have a big impact on the quality of the signal so multiple factors to consider.