Question

inseego FW2000e and Asus router NO INTERNET

• 3 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

This home internet has been a disaster from the start. Someone please explain this to me:

Internet dropped again tonight.

Rebooted inseego. Nothing.

Unplugged wan from router and into computer directly. Rebooted Inseego. Nothing.

Went into Inseego settings and changed from 5G/LTE to force only LTE.

I have strong LTE internet on the computer. BUT

when I unplug the wan from the computer back into the router and reboot everything?

No internet. Router tells me DHCP not functioning properly from ISP.

Why is this? How do I fix it? What can I do/try?

thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are seeing both the 4G LTE and 5G NR cellular signals reporting with good to excellent signal strength then it may be that the gateway is not receiving the DNS information from an authoritative server upstream. Go to your client and set the primary and secondary DNS server addresses vs allowing the DNS to be directed to be received from the gateway IP of 192.168.12.1. Take your pick. These are considered some of the best. If the problem is with DNS then this should resolve the issue. 

• Cisco OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
  • Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
  • Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • Quad9: 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112

You might try to reposition the gateway, if possible to improve the 5G signal reception. Post your cellular metrics from the reporting. You can obtain the metrics from the T-Mobile internet utilities application on a mobile phone. It helps to know the cellular metrics as if they are optimized for the location to get a higher quality signal with lower signal to noise then the performance can be improved. If the signal quality is low and there is noise then there will most likely be some packet loss, delay or damage. If there is packet degradation then there will be TCP retransmits and this will of course be delay and performance suffers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It could be you have a router that has a problem. When working in IT for years I came to the conclusion that when the problem defies logic it is often hardware. That can often be the case. I have no way to confirm you have a hardware issue with the FW2000E but if problems from the very start are present and continue that makes me suspicious of the hardware. If your phone is 5G and connects to the same cells as the gateway and works when the gateway does not that might be a clue. I live in a rural location and both my iPhone and gateway connect to the same cellular sources often. Using the metrics reporting with my phone I can identify the cell ID information. Cellular just takes more effort than having a hard line to the home. Here I have no hard line option. So, I have learned to work with the cellular signaling.

I had one of the little hotspots here when we first moved here but dumped that for the home internet gateway. The terms are better and the cost is better, unless they have improved the terms for the inseego hotspot. It is really easy to burn through 10 gigs of data in no time. If you don’t need the mobility the home gateway is a much more cost effective solution. I believe you would see a significant improvement in signal reception as the antennas are larger. Having worked with the Inseego FW2000E here and the Nokia gateway I know my internet is much better and lower cost with the home gateway vs the mobile hotspot.