Question

Internet becomes unusable randomly at night around 10pm-2am

• 12 June 2023
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

So the tmobile home internet works pretty well throughout the day it almost has no issues at all I get decent speeds and ping and can actually use it for internet heavy stuff.

But the problem is randomly every single night anywhere between 10pm-2am my internet will basically become unusable my ping will shoot up to 600+ and my download speed below 1mb. it can barely load up a website when it’s like this.

it will stay like this for a hour or two and then go back to normal, the problem is this is when I usually get home from work so it sucks it gets like this at the time I want to use it most.

Has anyone else had this issues? anyone know what causes it?

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Theguy t-Mobile Home internet traffic plays second priority to cellular service, and there will be a slight slowdown if you are on a cell tower near a busy freeway. That said, it would be helpful to know some of your data points to help diagnose your concern.

Using your T-Mobile Internet app, click on the “MORE” link at the bottom of the screen, then “Advanced cellular metrics” then “5G”. What are your readings for: RSRQ, RSRP, SINR, and confirm which Band you are on. It is helpful to know that your gateway is positioned in the best location possible, inline with your cellular tower.

Looking forward to your response.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

@copz1998 My RSRQ is -11, RSRP -94, SINR 4, BAND N71, I’ve tried moving my gateway around the house A lot of spots having a really really bad connection, I usually only get 3 bars at the spot I have it at and other spots usually only have 2 and my internet speed is like 1/10th the amount in those spots.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Theguy I feel your frustration. 

Generally, good 5G metrics look like this (see the attached table) RSRQ -11 (good), RSRP -94 (not good), SINR 4 (not good). RSRQ is the measurement of the signal strength your gateway gets from your cell tower. It should be closer to 80 (mine is 71). 

Which gateway do you have? If its the Arcadian, maybe you can take the gateway back to your local T-Mobile store and ask to switch it our for the Sagemcom. Explain the diagnosing you have been doing. 

Also, you may want to take a look at the following setup video. The speaker does a good job of explaining his process, which was good. The only thing I didn’t see is that you may be able to increase your metrics by slightly rotating your gateway 1/10th of the way in a circular fashion. the 5G antennas are located near the corners of the gateway, so you may better align the 5G antenna. What I did was to lightly rotate my gateway, then refresh the signal, retest, and repeat until I got a good stable signal 

I hope this helps!

Every night! Super frustrating 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@copz1998 I tried moving around the best I could get for RSRP was -93 but it seems my RSRP and SINR just randomly go up and down at different times of day because when I checked again my SINR was 40 even though it was at 4 before and my RSRP went up to like -103 even though I didn’t move the gateway from where it was when I last checked it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Theguy based on my experience, I would say that your location is on the “fringe” of your cell tower’s capability. Therefore, you have three options; 1 - keep playing with the location and try to get a better signal, 2 - add an external antenna like I did (there are good videos by Nader Nader on YouTube), or 3 - return it and cut your losses by going back to your previous ISP. 

Watch a few of the videos and you might develop the confidence and use your skills to add the external antenna. 

I hope this helps.

These answers are BS. Why would his signal be good enough for high speed during the day and die at night? This is a low traffic hour and interference is greater in the day time. T Mo is doing something at night. Mine has same issues. Excellent signal and goes down every night around 2am for an hour. Is the whole small town I live in suddenly  binge viewing in 4K at 2am?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Theguy it looks like your next step would be to make a call to customer support, explain what steps you have taken and provide your metrics. Either you are on the fringe of your cell tower’s capability or your gateway has a defect. You will ask the customer support to test your connection from their end. The results will dictate what happens next. Maybe customer support can attach you to a different/closer cell tower with a better signal. 

Because T-Mobile prioritizes their cell traffic giving cellular traffic priority over home internet, you should see an increase in download/upload speeds in the evenings (less cellular users on freeways driving past your cell tower). 

Let us know how it goes. 

I am having the same problem it's b. s. If ya know what I mean the money I pay this service doesn't slow down or stop. So why does the device . After about ten you can for get about  using inter net and I want it fixed does any one know how to do this? 

Every Saturday night at 10pm I can’t stream on TV zero internet use just like all these other people..some sort of conspiracy going on here..during the week I get texts every night that between hours of the 10&2am they will be “conducting maintenance on the cell tower I use the most” …I don’t have problems during the week that I’ve noticed, however I don’t stay up past 11 or so but I keep tv white noise show playing all night and it is never Interrupted…Saturday times around, I get no text about maintenance and is jacked at 10pm..even if by magic I get it working again it always cuts out during the night cause I wake up and tv has shut off because it couldn’t play the show.. seriously what is going on!? Oh btw I live downtown in the middle of a very large capital city..I moved 6months ago from the burbs..the same thing happened there and I was miles from the closest freeway 

So the tmobile home internet works pretty well throughout the day it almost has no issues at all I get decent speeds and ping and can actually use it for internet heavy stuff.

But the problem is randomly every single night anywhere between 10pm-2am my internet will basically become unusable my ping will shoot up to 600+ and my download speed below 1mb. it can barely load up a website when it’s like this.

it will stay like this for a hour or two and then go back to normal, the problem is this is when I usually get home from work so it sucks it gets like this at the time I want to use it most.

9 months later and this is happening to us. We just switched and the issue started shortly after our "trial" ended. Has anyone figured out a fix or do we need to call TMobile? Not great that they haven't fixed it across the board and individual customers have to troubleshoot on their own. 

9 months later and this is happening to us. We just switched and the issue started shortly after our "trial" ended. Has anyone figured out a fix or do we need to call TMobile? Not great that they haven't fixed it across the board and individual customers have to troubleshoot on their own. 

Quick question what is your gateway look like?

The reason why I’m asking is because that happened when we were on the black gateway. We were able to add another Internet line switch to the white one and as long as you do it online and then cancel the service for the first one this improved everything I knew that it would because of the antennas, we live three streets from the tower on the black one we had two bar steadily. This was awful obviously nobody would help. They kept sending his gateways in the end. This is what fixed it, but I had to fight hard for it in between so now you shouldn’t. As it’s been out for a while. Black gateway Sagemcom Fast 5688W- white gateway  T-Mobile 5G Gateway (G4AR & G4SE)-I read these reviews about two years ago. The best gateway that they’ve had so far that has had the best reviews is the white gateways Previous model. Hope this helps.

We have the white one

Have you tried the external antenna?