Question

iPad 9th gen. losing Internet connection after being idle on T-Mobile Home Internet

• 18 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have many devices on my home network, including many other Apple devices, and the only device that has this issue is my new 9th generation iPad. I use a T-Mobile 5G router to connect to the Internet.

After my iPad sits idle for a while (in sleep mode), when I start using it again, I find that my iPad is no longer connected to the Internet (though it is still connected to my WiFi network). If I go into Settings and tap WiFi, after a few seconds, the orange “No Internet connection” message appears underneath my network name. If I turn WiFi off and then back on, my iPad goes back to being connected to the Internet. Then the problem repeats itself as soon as I leave my iPad idle for a little while.

I am fairly certain this problem has something to do with my T-Mobile Home Internet device, because another T-Mobile customer with a 9th generation iPad reported this same problem to the Apple discussion forums earlier this year. I’ve tried all of the obvious solutions like updating my iPadOS, resetting network settings, etc. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

My TCL TV loses the internet connection if it’s been idle a while (like overnight).  However, it automatically re-establishes  the connection after 15 seconds or so.  So maybe the issue is really at the iPad end of things, and maybe there are some hidden settings you haven’t found...maybe in security options.  Just a guess (not an Apple guy). 

This happens to me also. I thought it was the iPad but does not occur on any other network wifi that I use except TMHI. The iPad resumes from sleep and the wifi symbol shows active at the top of my screen but the internet does not work. I now have the annoying habit of swiping down to turn wifi off and then on again (or either airplane mode). Pretty sure itis the T-Mobile “trash can” doing this. Don’t have the benefit of checking with another gateway.