Question

latency

• 7 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I get about 3x download and upload with tmobile, I used to have spectrum I would get 100-150 download and 10-20 upload and now I have around 300-400 download and 70-90 upload but now my latency/ping is around 60-90 ping instead on spectrum I would get around 10-20 ping/latency I wonder why or how that could happen or how I could fix our tmobile router for better ping

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@icyyval my experience after one year has been to add an external antenna to my gateway. In essence, ping response times are a result of SINR and RSRP. After adding my antenna (mounted in my attic) my RSRP and SINR metrics improved and now I get mid-20s ping.

Here is a tutorial from Waveform, and antenna maker: https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/hotspots/t-mobile-5g-gateway-arcadyan

Here is Nader Nader talking about the Sagemcom which is similar to the Arcadyan 

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Because your connect bounces off cell tower to cell tower until it hits a ground link, the latency is naturally going to be higher than a direct land-line connection.