Latest Gateway Firmware Discussion

Userlevel 1
Badge

Seems like for the NOK 5g21 gateway, as of today, the firmware number is 1.2003.03.0168.

If and when a newer version is released, please provide the version that is out.

Thanks!

34 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

better yet (tmobile) provide us with a change log!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I wouldn’t hold my breath, to be honest, TM home internet is more a half-assed beta that we all got suckered into paying to test out and find bugs than an actual ISP.

As of today 1.2003.03.0178 for me. Speed is improved by about 20% at the moment but NordVPN knocks it down to nothing. Hopefully that is a NordVPN issue they can fix. Hope this helps

Userlevel 3
Badge

That sounds like a vpn issue to me. I use Express vpn at times and you do see some of a dip but that's normal with a VPN. But what you're describing doesn't sound normal at all so I would suggest possibly maybe trying another VPN or checking your settings in Nord.

The one thing I am curious about though is you mentioned that your firmware is on 0178 correct? If that's the case how did your device upgrade? Did it do it itself or did you have to do something? I'm still showing .0168 for my firmware version.

I’ve only had the gateway for a week but yes it’s on 0178. I didn’t pay attention to the firmware when I received it so it’s possible the firmware was at that version out of the box. I contacted NordVPN and they said no support for IPv6. My understanding is the gateway binds ipv4/6 but that’s another issue. Hopefully the Tmobile folks can confirm the latest firmware but unless im not reading it right 0178 is what the app shows. I have restarted the gateway several times but beyond that nothing special. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Received my High Speed Gateway 10 days ago.    Firmware is .0178

Badge

I am still on .0143? Why is mine not updating?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I read an article today, 05/07/21, that says that we will all get the .0178 update within a month.

I just got my Nokia 5G gateway on Wednesday May 5, it was already on the latest 0178 firmware

I just called to complain about the VPN issue.  Instead of pushing me a firmware update they asked if it was OK to send me a new gateway.  I said yes.  I’ll have it on Friday.  Bet it comes with the new firmware.  I was still on 0168.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have had the T-Mobile GW since early January 2021 and the GW has taken a few updates. Currently it is on 1.2003.03.0178 which appears to be the most recent. I opened a support call on Monday due to operation being flakey. I would not say 1.2003.03.0178 is the holy grail. The unit tends to drop the secondary channel on the  n71 band more often than it should in my opinion. It will hold the primary channel B2 fairly well most of the time but reporting can be deceiving. The LED panel on the top may report 3 or 4 bars but the login via the software interface does not provide significant clarity as the two views can differ. My Linux, Windows, and Apple clients can have a solid WIFI signal and burp… no internet service so sessions drop. At times a reboot of the GW can recover partial operation but it takes more time for it to establish a lock on the secondary n71 band. With just the primary B2 channel latency is higher, LTE, so performance drops pretty much in half what both bands deliver. The newer code does engage the RJ45 connections as I run CAT 6 from my MAC to avoid the WIFI but when the GW to tower channel drops take place it is still a problem. I think newer code is still necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It really is unpredictable for service delivery. If T-Mobile engineers are messing with the gear on the tower the signal drops. Given T-Mobile’s aggressive expansion of services this would not surprise me. With the GW outside the house both the primary and secondary signals still drop at random times. The signal is a little improved by a few dBm but not that substantial given the tower is direct line of sight less than 2 miles to the SE. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

For anyone that is interested in more details about the T-Mobile gateway waveform.com has an interesting and informative article that provides more understanding about the reporting and how to improve the operation. Of course they promote external antenna solutions but well if you want to improve the signal quality this can improve data rates and make the solution more enjoyable. In my case i know I have reporting for “Good” to “Excellent” signal strength on both LTE and 5G signals but the 5G signal could have improved “Signal Quality” but it is still in the Good range. So, it makes it difficult to know why the signals are dropping at random times repeatedly. It still could be a software issue that results in communication issues with the tower but this is a hard one to determine alone.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just received mine and it has 1.2003.03.0168. I was really disappointed to see no options to change the lan or DHCP settings. It works great after I reconfigure everything else on my network to use the new subnet. :|

Fortunately, DHCP seems to assign at 192.168.12.200+ so I can keep static addresses and use my  existing 801.11ac wireless.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I got 1.2101.00.1609 last nite. Today speeds seem much slower than yesterday as in very slow having issues with work video calls.

Since I am mostly new to the service and I was down for a week waiting for replacement gateway I am not sure on historical performance.

I have moved the can around. The best spot is a second fl window kinda between the 5G and an LTE tower. I can put it in line of site of the 5G tower but always seems slower there as it cannot lock on a secondary signal.

Why does it keep the LTE as primary when the 5G has the better stronger signal?

I do have the fan under the unit and all Wifi off.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I got 1.2101.00.1609 last nite. Today speeds seem much slower than yesterday as in very slow having issues with work video calls.

How much is the total usage for the month to date? I thought Home Internet came with unlimited usage and no throttling but I keep seeing warnings on their website about throttling if over 50GB of data is used. That may just be for phones but the information available isn’t particularly matched to their Home Internet customers. I’ll need to wait until next month some time to see if I actually get my speed reduced.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

How much is the total usage for the month to date? I thought Home Internet came with unlimited usage and no throttling but I keep seeing warnings on their website about throttling if over 50GB of data is used. That may just be for phones but the information available isn’t particularly matched to their Home Internet customers. I’ll need to wait until next month some time to see if I actually get my speed reduced.

Not much was on vac then got back gateway broke was offline for a week.

Kinda bummed speed was 500 now I’m getting 1-15 video buffering on all calls today.

Odd is the upload is great 25-50 just download is slow.

Just rebooted no change same speeds off to another call now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Kinda bummed speed was 500 now I’m getting 1-15 video buffering on all calls today.

I only have 3 bars on 5G connection and still get over 200 megabit and video is good. I connected the LAN 1 port on my router to a local switch instead of using WIFI for most things. Are you using Wifi or ethernet? Can you watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc?

https://fast.com/ will show you how your Netflix connection is specifically for a test. If it still shows over 100 Mbps then it’s probably not your connections. Perhaps there’s a specific issue with streaming.

Speed tests on http://www.dslreports.com/ can show you connections more generally. 

Also, today I have 1.2101.00.1609 as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I only have 3 bars on 5G connection and still get over 200 megabit and video is good. I connected the LAN 1 port on my router to a local switch instead of using WIFI for most things. Are you using Wifi or ethernet? Can you watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc?

https://fast.com/ will show you how your Netflix connection is specifically for a test. If it still shows over 100 Mbps then it’s probably not your connections. Perhaps there’s a specific issue with streaming.

Speed tests on http://www.dslreports.com/ can show you connections more generally. 

Also, today I have 1.2101.00.1609 as well.

Fast shows 8.9 so slow. All Wifi on can disabled with fan under can on full.

Can is ethernet to Google Wifi mesh. However do note connecting laptop to second ethernet port on can yields the same results so it has nothing to do with the Google Wifi.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Just ran the same test from my 5G cell phone near the can and getting 200 down. So can gets 2 down while the phone gets 200 down. Clear there is an issue with the can and not the tower.

Fan under can and room is ac cool so should not be an overheat issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just ran the same test from my 5G cell phone near the can and getting 200 down. So can gets 2 down while the phone gets 200 down. Clear there is an issue with the can and not the tower.

Fan under can and room is ac cool so should not be an overheat issue.

Hopefully TMobile doesn’t selectively throttle certain network protocols. Supposedly they don’t. I’d expect a congested network to be reflected on T-Mobile phone speeds over 5G (not wifi) as well as the Internet Home service. Phone users going over 50 GB a month are “prioritized’ according to the web site but I don’t know (yet) if that affects Home Users.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m getting drastically different speeds now too. Massive amounts of “buffer bloat’ according to the speed tests. With my old router I could adjust the settings but there’s not really any option to do anything with this one.

At this point, the speed test fails without completing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This seems to have settled down for me still on 1.2101.00.1609 so maybe we just have to be patient while they get the kinks ironed out. My old service was so slow it’s hard to be worse than it was :|

Userlevel 1
Badge

FYI - I haven’t had any issues since last weekend. This says “4G” because they don’t have a 5G option yet.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

It’s now Sept 8 and I have not received the 5G gateway firmware (or “software” as it lists in the GUI) update from 1.2003.03.0178 to the new 1.2101.00.1609 which was supposed to roll out to users throughout August but has obviously been delayed because of some problems.

The T-Mo Report four weeks ago said: The update claims to fix two known VPN issues, one with Cisco AnyConnect and one with GlobalProtect. More importantly, the update claims to improve the poor 5G signal experience. Apparently, this fixes situations where a 5G signal is poor and the LTE signal would be a better connection.

One comment in a video of Tyrone’s “Tech Life Channel” on YouTube said something which for me means this is the problem they are trying to fix before they roll it out to more people. That is, one comment says he got the new 1609 update, and used to get 500Mbps download speeds on the B2/n41 signal combination but is now stuck on a much slower 4G-alone B4 band.

On the other hand, for the few people who get better 4G service in their area and their 5G is terrible, this may be a great update for those people. This will help those people get their fastest speed on the 4G rather than having to trade their gray can for the old 4G model, at least until the 5G service in their area improves.