Low Signal Bars

• 16 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Why does this service suck so bad in a major city? I have reset my modem like every couple hours and it is never over 2bars anywhere in my city

4 replies

This service is definitely the most unreliable and slow Internet I’ve had in the past 15 years. It seems like every time I managed to get a decent signal and consistent speeds they push out an update or do something to the tower to break it. I spent an entire afternoon installing an antenna to point to a tower with a good signal. For an entire month I had acceptable service.

They pushed out an update and now I can’t even connect to the tower with the awesome signal (-97 RSSI/15 SNR). Instead it connects to some tower further away with an RSSI of -110 and an SNR of 1 and my speeds are chronically slow + terrible ping.

The government should take the spectrum back and give it to someone that can actually use it properly. The spectrum is wasted on T-Mobile.

After speaking to three people I finally talked with someone that gave me useful information. Apparently, though I live in a heavily populated area near downtown, I’m equidistant from 4 towers and am in a dead zone. I was told that my service should improve in two months, but no one could verify that a tower was being built, but only that it was likely, given the area. I was also told my account had been “de-prioritized” because it was an “old account”; This seems to be a strange policy for long-time customers, but I was told it’s T-mobile policy to never ask their clients to change their policy, so you never know if you’re being phased out. They managed to squeeze a couple more months from me, but if my service doesn’t dramatically improve, I’ll be seeking an alternative.

I’m experiencing the same. I live in Austin, Texas five minute from downtown. I have a iPhone 13mini and I can’t make a call in my own house. I have 1 bar and all my calls immediately don’t connect. Every time I speak to someone I get brushed off and asked ti reset my phone network settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just as a note.  I’ve been waiting on T-Mobile’s statement claiming they’d build a new tower for years.  

Being ‘downtown’ in an urban area may help, however.  Rural / suburban gets the middle finger, typically.  Also, any deprioritization by T-Mobile will only occur once you’ve gone past a limit, and you will get a text.  Good luck